Not happy with new reverse sensor.

giddyup

I had a new reverse sensor installed on my Mitsu Triton, but because of the rear bumper configuration the two sensors can only be installed on the two "bumps" that protrude next to the reflectors. I have found that they work OK if backing towards something like a wall, but if it's a post and it's located between the sensors it won't necessarily pick it up. My old Isuzu only had two sensors as well, but I never noticed that problem, maybe they were more sensitive. I'm wondering what my best options are, install a reverse camera or have a stainless steel bumper fitted with 4 sensor points? At present I'm not confident that I can trust what I now have.

post-130068-0-46495300-1423797632_thumb.

Normally you need a 4 sensor system to provide full coverage.

Does your model have the 7" in-dash screen? If so, a reversing camera is a cheap accessory..

You mean the screen for satnav? Yes it does. I would have gone for four sensors, but it's just not possible to fit them on the Triton bumper. Any idea how much for a reverse camera, and will I use the existing satnav screen for reversing?

Does your model have the 7" in-dash screen? If so, a reversing camera is a cheap accessory..

You mean the screen for satnav? Yes it does. I would have gone for four sensors, but it's just not possible to fit them on the Triton bumper. Any idea how much for a reverse camera, and will I use the existing satnav screen for reversing?

Cheap ones run about 1000-1500 Baht, better ones with guide/distance lines, better resolution, and better night performance are in the 2500-3000 Baht range. Hooks straight up to your screen, and automatically turns on when you put it into reverse gear.

Cheap ones run about 1000-1500 Baht, better ones with guide/distance lines, better resolution, and better night performance are in the 2500-3000 Baht range. Hooks straight up to your screen, and automatically turns on when you put it into reverse gear.

I paid 1800 baht for the two sensors, if I'd known I would have done what you suggest and hooked one up to the existing screen. Not too late. Thanks for the info.

Do you have to connect it to the gearbox ?

Giddy Up I'm not getting it? Can you post a full pic of the rear bumper? I can't see why it isn't possible to install more then 2 and only where those 2 are located? BTW someone laid a towel over your tag too, better take that off before you have to pay some tea money whistling.gif ..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Giddy Up I'm not getting it? Can you post a full pic of the rear bumper? I can't see why it isn't possible to install more then 2 and only where those 2 are located? BTW someone laid a towel over your tag too, better take that off before you have to pay some tea money whistling.gif ..

You can see where the bumper protrudes with the two bumps that it's really the only place to install the sensors.

post-130068-0-08626100-1423813132_thumb.

You can see where the bumper protrudes with the two bumps that it's really the only place to install the sensors.

Ok so while that's a very unusual style bumper, I can't see why they can't install additional sensors? On the corners for example, did they give a realistic reason other then the usual? I.E. it is an operational issue or ? Just because they aren't the furthest point from the truck doesn't mean they can't be installed and then you can approximate according to sound your distance from a given object. It would be something you'd have to adjust to but not so difficult or different then any other driving adjustments you may make on a given day or with a given vehicle.

Ok so while that's a very unusual style bumper, I can't see why they can't install additional sensors? On the corners for example, did they give a realistic reason other then the usual? I.E. it is an operational issue or ? Just because they aren't the furthest point from the truck doesn't mean they can't be installed and then you can approximate according to sound your distance from a given object. It would be something you'd have to adjust to but not so difficult or different then any other driving adjustments you may make on a given day or with a given vehicle.

It's the same bumper they have been using on the Triton for years. Putting sensors on the corners wouldn't achieve anything, they'd only be 6" away from the ones that are already there, and you can't put any in the centre because of the number plate. Only way it can be done is to put a one piece chrome or s/s bumper or a reverse camera. I may do both.

It may be the same bumper, still unusual.. Ok so whatever, I personally dislike sensors terribly and have no issues with my vehicle parameters without them so can't relate. I feel the sensors make people too reliant on them like some other vehicle technologies so people tend to become complacent and lose their own natural skills and the sensors are far from perfect as you've apparently found out.. Maybe a camera is the ultimate solution in your case.

It may be the same bumper, still unusual.. Ok so whatever, I personally dislike sensors terribly and have no issues with my vehicle parameters without them so can't relate. I feel the sensors make people too reliant on them like some other vehicle technologies so people tend to become complacent and lose their own natural skills and the sensors are far from perfect as you've apparently found out.. Maybe a camera is the ultimate solution in your case.

The sensors are near enough perfect and reliable if they are installed correctly, as they were on my Isuzu D Max. When It's nigh impossible to see close to the rear of a pickup or a SUV for that matter, no matter how good your "skills" are sensors or a reverse camera are invaluable, nothing to do with being complacent. I drove sedans most of my life and never thought about reverse sensors, pickups are a different story.

The sensors are near enough perfect and reliable if they are installed correctly, as they were on my Isuzu D Max. When It's nigh impossible to see close to the rear of a pickup or a SUV for that matter, no matter how good your "skills" are sensors or a reverse camera are invaluable, nothing to do with being complacent. I drove sedans most of my life and never thought about reverse sensors, pickups are a different story.

All my cars have both sensors and cameras. I'd be at least 3 dogs down now without both systems.

All my cars have both sensors and cameras. I'd be at least 3 dogs down now without both systems.

There would be a lot of small children alive today if all cars, SUV's and pickups had them installed.

Thanks for all the pics and info firefox99uk. I didn't get the digital readout on the dash for the reverse sensors, only the beeper, that was my choice. I probably should have got the two extra sensors on the bumper corners as you have, but it just seemed too close to the other two so I didn't bother. I paid 1800 baht just for the two sensors, so having the camera installed as well for the 2000 baht you paid sounds like a good deal.

Where's the down side? There's too many stray dogs in Thailand anyway.. coffee1.gif

There would be a lot of small children alive today if all cars, SUV's and pickups had them installed.

Uhuh.... Sorry were going to have agree to disagree on this one, I figured it'd be taken out of context and unnecessarily defensively but fact of the matter it does have to do with skills and awareness. No need to be defensive though that is a product of age for many.

Giddyup, as promised here are some pics of my sensor and camera setup.

The 2 sensors that you have already, I find that they are sensitive enough to

pickup any obstacle in between them because of the fan shape coverage of the sensor.

The 2 outside sensors are great for ie..gate posts or any obstacle to the side/rear of the truck.

As you probably have, there is a bleep and coloured bar indicator that sits on the dash board next to the A post.

attachicon.gifP1000624.JPG attachicon.gifP1000631.JPG

The camera is the best addition as you get a better perspective of what behind you, and obviously make a better

judgement of the distance to the obstacle behind you.

attachicon.gifP1000625.JPG attachicon.gifP1000626.JPG attachicon.gifP1000629.JPG

When I got my Triton I drove straight away to the car accessory shop and had both fitted for I think under 2,000 Baht.

I also had them fit a car cam that I had bought myself a couple of weeks before and day running lights to the front grille.

attachicon.gifP1000634.JPG

If you get a camera, don’t let them fit it on the tail gate like the new model Triton…

I think it looks bloody awful and will eventually get damaged..just my opinion.

Good Luck.

PS. Looking at the pics I think it’s a trip to car care today for a spring clean.

And that's not half a bra across the number plate, its a face mask....5555

Have a Nice Day.

Yes and not surprisingly the added 2 sensors are where I suggested they should go coffee1.gif ..

warpspeed

Disagree on what? That there would be a lot of children (and adults and pets) alive today if sensors or reverse cameras were fitted to all vehicles? Are you really going to argue the point that a pickup and probably SUV's as well have limited rear visibility? Perhaps the rest of the world doesn't have the skills and awareness that you profess to have and we actually find these aids useful. BTW, putting sensors on the corners of the bumper may well be useful, but that's not where I seem to have lack of coverage, it's in the centre.

Edited by giddyup

warpspeed

Disagree on what? That there would be a lot of children (and adults and pets) alive today if sensors or reverse cameras were fitted to all vehicles? Are you really going to argue the point that a pickup and probably SUV's as well have limited rear visibility? Perhaps the rest of the world doesn't have the skills and awareness that you profess to have and we actually find these aids useful. BTW, putting sensors on the corners of the bumper may well be useful, but that's not where I seem to have lack of coverage, it's in the centre.

I'm sure Warpy is only speaking from his own experience in saloons and hatchbacks. If driving a pickup or SUV, the level of 'awareness' you'd need would be on a psychic level :P

warpspeed

I'm sure Warpy is only speaking from his own experience in saloons and hatchbacks. If driving a pickup or SUV, the level of 'awareness' you'd need would be on a psychic level tongue.png

So true.

warpspeed

I'm sure Warpy is only speaking from his own experience in saloons and hatchbacks. If driving a pickup or SUV, the level of 'awareness' you'd need would be on a psychic level tongue.png

^So not true, have driven my own race transports forever and still do, never had a back up cam or sensors and never backed into anything. I guess I'm just lucky towing a 45 ft trailer with a 15 foot professionally converted box truck. Have a lifted V8 Dodge Ram 1500 sport pick up in my drive right now, not a sensor or cam on it and still amazingly I manage not to back into anything and though it's a smallish pick up for the states, it's still twice the size of anything available in Thailand, so I guess you're right, only saloons and hatchbacks rolleyes.gifcoffee1.gif .. FYI my line of business also required driving pickups and various other large trucks for the last, oh, 35 years but other then that have never driven a pick up before coffee1.gif.. Silly me.. BTW did I mention having a 27 year safe driving record? BTW nice that I can try to diplomatically walk away from an argument and still get poked at until I have no choice but to respond in kind..

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

warpspeed

^So not true, have driven my own race transports forever and still do, never had a back up cam or sensors and never backed into anything. I guess I'm just lucky towing a 45 ft trailer with a 15 foot professionally converted box truck. Have a lifted V8 Dodge Ram 1500 sport pick up in my drive right now, not a sensor or cam on it and still amazingly I manage not to back into anything and though it's a smallish pick up for the states, it's still twice the size of anything available in Thailand, so I guess you're right, only saloons and hatchbacks rolleyes.gifcoffee1.gif .. FYI my line of business also required driving pickups and various other large trucks for the last, oh, 35 years but other then that have never driven a pick up before coffee1.gif.. Silly me.. BTW did I mention having a 27 year safe driving record? BTW nice that I can try to diplomatically walk away from an argument and still get poked at until I have no choice but to respond in kind..

My "so true" was in agreement with this "If driving a pickup or SUV, the level of 'awareness' you'd need would be on a psychic level" Obviously you have some "gift" the rest of us mere mortals don't. I'm afraid I still like what the 21st century has to offer, like power steering, ABS, aircon, reverse sensors etc, but then I don't have the skills or awareness that you obviously do.

• Like 1