Finns fighting in Soi Made in Thailand ~3.30am Fri 13 Feb 2015

MrWorldwide

This will undoubtedly appear on the PattayaOne site at some point in the next 24 hours based on the Police report - up to the mods whether they want to retain an eyewitness account from a TV member.

Not sure how much detail I can go into, and it all happened very fast, but these are my thoughts after - admittedly - a fairly big night in the bar that didnt even kick off until 1am.

- according to my Thai accomplices, the bar at the centre of the altercation has hosted several such encounters and is now in imminent danger of being shut down

- if you're a Finnish man of roughly average height and stocky build wearing a yellow shirt, you might want to reconsider your choice of sparring partner

- if you're a Finnish man somewhere north of 6'3" tall, wear a black t-shirt and baseball cap and know how to punch the living hooey out of late night pugilists, Walking St might be a better destination, but only if that's OK with you ....

- if you're a Thai woman who enjoys screaming and throwing tables and chairs, Soi 7 might be a better fit for your activities - most of the tables are a lot harder to pick up.

- if you're one of the Thai news crew who got there before the first cop, when the hell do you sleep ?

The first encounter was more Rugby scrum than boxing match, but our friend in black appeared to be keen to get on with the job, and the second aggressor made a big mistake confronting him roughly 5 minutes later. I guess after wearing a table, a couple of chairs and several slaps in the face from various Thai women, Mr Black was in no mood for conciliation and Mr Yellow went straight down after a single right cross. A Danish friend told me years ago that anyone who considers themselves a descendant of the Vikings is prone to becoming a 'warrior' after a few ales, but most of the Finns I've encountered have been a reasonably quiet, staid bunch - so much for stereotypes in Pattaya.

For a night with very few Farang in the bars on Soi Made In, this was a bit of a shock. Hopefully the cops will sort it all out and you can read Howard's breathless account in the fullness of time. Toodles.

• Like 1

If you walk out of Central Festival onto Second Road, cross the road and turn right, walking toward the Night Market, you will see a soi full of bars on your left just before the market. Not sure why they named it thus, and the complex does have another name but the soi itself is 'Soi Made In' - the Thais dont seem to bother with the 'Thailand' part.

Edited by MrWorldwide
  • Like 1

Nice write up MrWW. A much better read than the 'reporting' from the pattaya rags.....

I am hearing more and more tales like this from pals down there these days. Shame the idiots seem to be pervading every area of Pattaya once again.

I hope we're not heading back to the 'dark' old days of the late 1990s/early 2000s when the Euro Lager Louts first 'discovered' Pattaya and scraps of this nature were a nightly occurrence in the sois and one couldn't find a 'quiet' area to sit and perve without some shirtless tattooed shaven headed Euro 'warrior' wanting to have a pop at you or someone else

• Like 1

Nice write up MrWW. A much better read than the 'reporting' from the pattaya rags.....

I am hearing more and more tales like this from pals down there these days. Shame the idiots seem to be pervading every area of Pattaya once again.

I hope we're not heading back to the 'dark' old days of the late 1990s/early 2000s when the Euro Lager Louts first 'discovered' Pattaya and scraps of this nature were a nightly occurrence in the sois and one couldn't find a 'quiet' area to sit and perve without some shirtless tattooed shaven headed Euro 'warrior' wanting to have a pop at you or someone else

I'll refrain from further comment until we see what PattayaOne makes of the Police report, assuming they publish anything at all given that there didnt appear to be anyone covered in blood - the Thai news team didnt seem terribly impressed and left within 5 or so minutes of arriving. That's been a very mellow soi IME, but I've only been living here since May last year.

Total rubbish

never was any dark days.

Pattaya was a much more friendly place back then.

for all.

Comment from someone who wasn't even there 'back then' Ill be bound....6 month heros need not comment

Total rubbish

never was any dark days.

for all.

Im surprised there 's no books on Pattaya history of the 90 s.

Funny story from MrWwbiggrin.png

If you go out just for looking for trouble you can always find it, all over the world.

I been here for a long time and despite being a viking descendant if I can fell that somebody are looking for a fight, I quickly empty my beer, pay and walk.

Thankfully most people who go out for a fun night prefer one which doesn't including fighting, +99% or so.

Total rubbish

never was any dark days.

for all.

Comment from someone who wasn't even there 'back then' Ill be bound....6 month heros need not comment

Been here 14 years full time,

Been coming 23, years.

Long enough to know your talking rubbish.

Have a nice day.

Edited by onemorechang

I lived in Pattaya in 90, 91& 92.

It was much better back in those days. All places change with time some good some not so good.

The only fight I saw in that time was a Baht bus driver kicking sh!t out of another Thai.

op, shall we start calling you Stickyboy part deux or are you trying to dethrown JT as the man on the street in Pattaya>? lol

He can have it - been back here going on 9 months and this is the first serious altercation I've witnessed : JT seems to have a little more misfortune. This most definitely isnt a case of looking for 'action' in the wrong places and I believe that the hysteria around violence in Pattaya is grossly overstated. As guzzi said, you usually have time to pay for your beer and get out of the bar when trouble starts - if I wanted it otherwise I would park my carcass in Walking St with a video camera. And a Staffordshire ;)

op, shall we start calling you Stickyboy part deux or are you trying to dethrown JT as the man on the street in Pattaya>? lol

He can have it - been back here going on 9 months and this is the first serious altercation I've witnessed : JT seems to have a little more misfortune. This most definitely isnt a case of looking for 'action' in the wrong places and I believe that the hysteria around violence in Pattaya is grossly overstated. As guzzi said, you usually have time to pay for your beer and get out of the bar when trouble starts - if I wanted it otherwise I would park my carcass in Walking St with a video camera. And a Staffordshire wink.png

Do you know what actually started it all ?

He can have it - been back here going on 9 months and this is the first serious altercation I've witnessed : JT seems to have a little more misfortune. This most definitely isnt a case of looking for 'action' in the wrong places and I believe that the hysteria around violence in Pattaya is grossly overstated. As guzzi said, you usually have time to pay for your beer and get out of the bar when trouble starts - if I wanted it otherwise I would park my carcass in Walking St with a video camera. And a Staffordshire wink.png

let me go out on a limb - vodka?

What a load of crap

What dark ages?

I have been visiting Patts since 1990

Regularly many trips every year

Considering how much alcohol is drunk

You see very little trouble in Patts

• Like 2

and this one

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/791082-the-real-tough-guys-in-pattaya/#entry8925963

was while you were sleepwalking? or is it all the bar hopping is erasing your memory?

Edited by rabid old goat

and this one

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/791082-the-real-tough-guys-in-pattaya/#entry8925963

was while you were sleepwalking? or is it all the bar hopping is erasing your memory?

Fair point, even if they are all 'mates' now and no-one was hurt. Agree that there have been a few too many drinks in the last 9 months to make my recollection infallible, but the bar where the Finns had their boxing match is still operating FWIW.

No - hence my comment earlier re waiting for the Police report - given that its been a couple of days it would seem that even PattayaOne didnt view this as particularly newsworthy.

Edited by Rimmer
Quotes fixed

Total rubbish

never was any dark days.

for all.

Sorry Plant but you are talking rubbish.

There were never any "dark days", violence in the years you refer to was only a very occasional thing. Never a nightly occurrence.

And the bar you fail to name would presumably be the "Dogs <deleted>", violence did break out there from time to time, but again it was only occasionally and not a regular feature. The various partners there were in business to make a living, not for fighting.