UK General Elections 2015: Who you voting for?

One things for sure, Politics are the same as running a business, IE UK LTD. Any politician that has never had a job in the wide wide world ( straight from UNI to politics )

Will always get led up the garden path,and walked all over by other countrys. ( these days ) As the do not possess the skills needed.

Lets hope the voters keep that in mind

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've voted Labour in Warwickshire North, the most marginal Tory seat (I think the majority is around 55).

However, if I was in Nigel Farage's potential constituency, I might well have been tempted to vote for him. I think he would probably make a pretty good constituency MP. That's what it used to be about in the old days eh. Instead now it's about bacon sandwiches, kitchens and tablets of stone, not to mention 'career defining events' etc.

I wonder if Nigel - should he be elected - will hold his surgeries in the George and Dragon?. Wouldn't surprise me!

Look forward to our musing on Friday on this forum. thumbsup.gif

I've voted Labour in Warwickshire North, the most marginal Tory seat (I think the majority is around 55).

Well done. If we're going to get rid of this awful government your vote will be important.
nope! Voted to stop the chance of another wrecking labour gov with the crazy jocks backing them. Edited by kingalfred

Those of you who haven't had your postal votes may derive some small comfort that you're in good company all over the world:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/expatnews/11584068/Expats-in-uproar-over-missing-ballot-papers.html

Good reporting by the Daily Telegraph

Thanks for the link.

It shows up the problems, and that is why 'proxy' is by far the better option for us. Mind you, I accept many may not be able to use it. I'm lucky that my familystill live in the constituency.

Given that the registration, sending of confirmation PDF letters etc. are all done by e mail, it has to be possible surely to solve this.

I know little about computer programming but surely there could be s system whereby your ballot paper is sent by e mail.

Now I realise there could be a possibility of multiple replies but we all know that if you log into your bank three times (with a mistake) you are locked out.

Why not a ballot paper (with some sort of barcode or similar) so only one reply can be allowed.

I appreciate that ballot papers cannot be printed until all the candidates are registered - 3 weeks or so before.

Well done. If we're going to get rid of this awful government your vote will be important.

And what is the alternative to this awful govt? The shower that call themselves the working man's party,Labour? Give me strength,they couldn't and never have been able to run a p_as up in a brewery let alone a country ,Millicent will just do what Hollande has done to France,destroy us

I applied for mine and my wife's postal vote two and half weeks ago whilst we were at home in the UK as we are now in LOS on our biannual holiday. The postal ballot paper turned up last Thursday and to the day that the local council states on their website. Posted our votes last Friday morning and flew to LOS on Saturday. It was cutting it fine as it was and that's being residents in the UK.

When will I receive my ballot paper?

You should receive your postal ballot paper about 5 days before election day.

http://www.medway.gov.uk/thecouncilanddemocracy/electionsandvoting/votinghowwhenandwhere/votingbypost.aspx

This is patently not enough time for expats to receive and return their postal ballot papers so hardly worth the effort in applying. It's proxy or nothing as it stands.

Surely it's time for the government to consider secure online voting. Can hardly be more open to fraud than postal ballots.

And what is the alternative to this awful govt? The shower that call themselves the working man's party,Labour? Give me strength,they couldn't and never have been able to run a p_as up in a brewery let alone a country ,Millicent will just do what Hollande has done to France,destroy us

I only mentioned this because a previous poster had reckoned that most ex pats would vote UKIP.

The rest of my post indicates I would maybe change if I was in another particular constituency. The Labour candidate in my constituency is, in my view, an excellent and decent politician and was a minister in the previous Labour government.. I'm voting for him, not Ed Milliband. However, I hope there is a change of government.thumbsup.gif

Those of you who haven't had your postal votes may derive some small comfort that you're in good company all over the world:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/expatnews/11584068/Expats-in-uproar-over-missing-ballot-papers.html

I forwarded this to a hopeful in my ward along with a note advising that my papers are AWOL. In marginal wards I can see this fiasco leading to legal challenges or results being nullified leading to immediate by election(s).

Edited by evadgib

I applied for mine and my wife's postal vote two and half weeks ago whilst we were at home in the UK as we are now in LOS on our biannual holiday. The postal ballot paper turned up last Thursday and to the day that the local council states on their website. Posted our votes last Friday morning and flew to LOS on Saturday. It was cutting it fine as it was and that's being residents in the UK.

When will I receive my ballot paper?

You should receive your postal ballot paper about 5 days before election day.

http://www.medway.gov.uk/thecouncilanddemocracy/electionsandvoting/votinghowwhenandwhere/votingbypost.aspx

This is patently not enough time for expats to receive and return their postal ballot papers so hardly worth the effort in applying. It's proxy or nothing as it stands.

Surely it's time for the government to consider secure online voting. Can hardly be more open to fraud than postal ballots.

For any Govt to rely on distribution devised in the 19th century for elections held in the 21st beggars belief & makes us a laughing stock :(

I registered for postal voting quite some time ago and was quite surprised when the ballot paper actually turned up - on Tuesday! Absolutely no chance of it getting back to UK by 22:00 UK time, today, of course, so the whole exercise has been totally useless.

As we know, post sent to here from UK, using normal snail mail, can take up to two weeks to arrive. Sending stuff back, even if registered, can also take several days. Proxy voting is not a viable option for a lot of us - I've not lived in my previous constituency for over ten years now so there really is no-one that I can use. I suspect that a lot of people are in the same boat, so to speak.

Clearly, as has been mentioned by other posters, what we need is a secure on-line voting method. Are we likely to get this? Don't hold your breath!

DM

I registered for postal voting quite some time ago and was quite surprised when the ballot paper actually turned up - on Tuesday! Absolutely no chance of it getting back to UK by 22:00 UK time, today, of course, so the whole exercise has been totally useless.

As we know, post sent to here from UK, using normal snail mail, can take up to two weeks to arrive. Sending stuff back, even if registered, can also take several days. Proxy voting is not a viable option for a lot of us - I've not lived in my previous constituency for over ten years now so there really is no-one that I can use. I suspect that a lot of people are in the same boat, so to speak.

Clearly, as has been mentioned by other posters, what we need is a secure on-line voting method. Are we likely to get this? Don't hold your breath!

DM

Next time use the postal proxy option. Your proxy will receive a postal vote which they use on your behalf. Nothing needs to be posted overseas.

DM

Next time use the postal proxy option. Your proxy will receive a postal vote which they use on your behalf. Nothing needs to be posted overseas.

Yes, but for this to work you do actually need a proxy and I don't have one!

DM

DM

DM

DM. You have my sympathy. I'm fortunate my daughter is still there and votes like me - so I have complete trust. It must be infuriating for you.

It's obviously too late now but I suppose it would be possible to get the local HQ for the party you want to vote for and they would definitely provide a proxy - bite your hand off.

But why should you have to go to all that trouble?. Let's hope the on-line voting comes in when they change the electoral system, which surely they must now consider.

DM

DM

You don't anyone who is registered to vote?

No doubt same as others I, somehow, must have signed up to receive regular emails from the UK parties ahead of the election trying to convince us to vote for them. In my case I was receiving emails from both the Tories and the Labour party.

Interestingly though, the last Tory email was a plead to head down to my local polling station and cast my voterolleyes.gif for the Tories. Since then, nada!!

Similarly, the Labour party also sent through the last day request for my vote. However, today, a 'thank You' email popped through from 'Ed Miliband' apologising for the defeat and thanking me for my support rolleyes.gif

Maybe the wrong party won whistling.gif

I see that the final seat has been declared for the Tories - St Ives in Cornwall.

That gives the Tories 330 seats and Sky News are indicating a majority of 4 - on the basis, I presume, that 326 was need for a majority.

However, they seem to have forgotten that the total number of seats is 650, so, the actual majority (excluding any Speaker adjustment) must be 10.

Kay Burley (don't you just hate her!!) made no comment other than to accept the figure of 4 as the correct majority figure!! Go figureblink.png

I see that the final seat has been declared for the Tories - St Ives in Cornwall.

That gives the Tories 330 seats and Sky News are indicating a majority of 4 - on the basis, I presume, that 326 was need for a majority.

However, they seem to have forgotten that the total number of seats is 650, so, the actual majority (excluding any Speaker adjustment) must be 10.

Kay Burley (don't you just hate her!!) made no comment other than to accept the figure of 4 as the correct majority figure!! Go figureblink.png

Sky News now corrected to Tory majority of 10. Just how much do these idiots get paid?bah.gif

Just to point out, 64% of voters chose someone other than the tories.

Democracy![/quote

]some people voted for the greens others the monster raving loony party,so what?the conservatives got the most votes that's democracy,live with it

• 2 weeks later...

I forwarded this to a hopeful in my ward along with a note advising that my papers are AWOL. In marginal wards I can see this fiasco leading to legal challenges or results being nullified leading to immediate by election(s).

I'm still waiting for my postal-vote letter to arrive, so I just looked-up the email-address for my council's electoral-services office, and sent them an email to point this out.

I asked them, how can I make a formal complaint & to whom, the Electoral Commission or whatever, wonder if they'll ever bother to respond ? whistling.gif

On the good-news front, I actually flew-in to the UK the morning before the election, and was pleased to see long queues of people waiting outside their local polling-stations, at least people bothered to turn out !

But Nigel lost to the Cons, by a couple-of-thousand votes, in Thanet-South where I was, pity as he'd have livened things up in Parliament IMO ! rolleyes.gif

Anyway UKIP made the point a few days later, that with 3.9 million votes they'd got just 1 MP, while the SNP had 56 from a couple-of-million votes, and that there would be a lot of angry people as-a-result. thumbsup.gif

I myself am also a bit sad, democracy in my native-country is clearly broken, and we all know what chance there is of anyone ever bothering to try to fix it !