renting my condo, question about do i need to provide tv /internet ?

just doing some homework at this stage, bought a condo central pattaya. i plan to rent it out. though i have been looking at tv packages and some of them are over 1000 baht per month . plus do i need to install hi speed internet in condo, i ask because if condo is not renting and sitting idle then ill be out money for these services. what do the rest of you do in this situation ? also there is the question of water and electric do i also keep these on all year round ?

just wondering how this is done if im not in pattaya all year .

Edited by dirtycash

No let the tenants have Internet ,tv service installed by themselves,in their name,

as you don't really know the needs of the tenant until you find one,property does

not rent its self,what are you doing to try and find a tenant?

Just leave the water and electric connected ,but both switched off fuse box and

stop cock in the condo, as it could be bit of hassle getting them connected again

if you need them quickly.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

It depends entirely on whether you hope to attract short-term or long-term tenants, and how much you expect them to pay.

Most buildings supply cable TV as a matter of course. Wifi is generally available weekly/monthly from the building front office, and those renting for longer can sign up with an internet provider that suits them.

If you want people to pay top dollar for a short-term rental then you will need to think about offering decent internet access and decent farang TV.

Water and electricity would need to be on permanently and your letting agent should sort this out.

But it seems that you are hoping to do this without using an agent, in which case I wish you good luck.

• Like 1

If you;re renting long-term, then it's usually up to the renter to sort out internet and TV. If you're renting short-term, the you need to provide these services. Yes, you'll still have to pay for them even if you have no renters, but that should all balance itself out. If renting short-term you'll also need cleaners and someone to deal with check-in and check out. Where in Pattaya is your condo? Could be difficult if you're not in the country.

Thanks i will hope to rent short term for a better profit through a local agent . Pay agent 30% but if i get 2000 baht per night then i think that would be ok i will provide tv and internet . If im renting long term obviously i dont want to be paying internet and tv charges if condo is sitting idle. I will also be using multiple agents throughout pattaya. The condo is not complete but is in ccr developement central pattaya. I think its a good location to everywhere and 2 min walk to soi buakao . 5 min walk to pattaya kland big c. How much could i get a years internet plus tv for ? Not top deal but something that would keep any short term renter happy. Thanks

There is an internet connection installed in condo and wifi throughout but have been told this could be slow . Ive heard you can buy some sort of box with international channels on for a 1 off payment do any of you know of these boxes ?

I used to let a condo on a daily, weekly basis, it was no end of bother. Yes the money is better than you get from a long term contract, however the people staying for a few days/weeks and then leaving are generally not as careful as someone who will be staying long term. A guy I knew paid an agent to let out his condo on an ad hoc daily weekly basis, he also paid security to confirm when the condo was occupied to prevent the agent cheating him, I sometimes wondered if the agent also paid security to keep his mouth shut.

back to your question, most condos have wifi at the lobby/pool so you won't necessarily need it, and as for the tv, I suspect you could get away without it

A guy I knew paid an agent to let out his condo on an ad hoc daily weekly basis, he also paid security to confirm when the condo was occupied to prevent the agent cheating him, I sometimes wondered if the agent also paid security to keep his mouth shut.

That's something I would be wondering too.

My wife is an agent ,dont bother with daily weekly rentals ,go for long term ,remember its a buyers market there are far far more places to rent than renters , yes you need wi fi ,as said before its the first thing people ask ,make sure its clean ,you would not believe what some places look like ,and they have two hopes of renting them ,one being Bob hope, the other thing i notice is some blocks are very popular ,at a price ,i know one block where recently she sold two condo and has rented one ,a guy there owns two and keeps asking why nobody wants his ,she gave up telling him to reduce the price , , still in his mind his are worth far far more than anyone elses. smile.png

• Like 1

As a longterm renter I would expect the unit to have both wifi and cable when I move in. I would be prepared however to take over the monthly payment of those utilities once I had occupied the unit.(upon proof that there is no outstanding debt)

At the moment I rent month to month and wifi and cable are included and I do believe that not having these will affect your chances of renting your apartment.

There is a glut of apartments at the moment and anything you can do to tempt a new long term resident will be of benefit in the long term. Personally I want a fitted oven (as I claudius is aware) but wifi and cable are essential. Long term is the way to go, just vett your clients properly.

Edited by tolsti
  • Like 1

Thanks i will hope to rent short term for a better profit through a local agent . Pay agent 30% but if i get 2000 baht per night then i think that would be ok i will provide tv and internet . If im renting long term obviously i dont want to be paying internet and tv charges if condo is sitting idle. I will also be using multiple agents throughout pattaya. The condo is not complete but is in ccr developement central pattaya. I think its a good location to everywhere and 2 min walk to soi buakao . 5 min walk to pattaya kland big c. How much could i get a years internet plus tv for ? Not top deal but something that would keep any short term renter happy. Thanks

How does your rate compete with hotel rooms (5 mins walk to Central) charging Bt1200 at present and Bt900 during the low season?

The question really is not "Does it have internet ?" its "How fast is the internet ?"

If its possible have fibre connected, if not, ADSL., the condos own wifi is usually quite slow and obviously drops off markedly during high usage times.

Go for long lets, preferably 12 months.

As others have said they will not only take better care of the place but will provide a guaranteed income, as opposed to frequent void periods for short lets.

Although you will get more per day for SL,s balancing it out over a 12 month period, even with a substantial reduction in in rent received as opposed to potential, you will not only cover your costs but make a profit and not have to constantly be either looking for tenants yourself or far more likely be pestering agents as to why its empty.

Saturated condo sales and rental market, hotels cutting room rates, go for a guaranteed regular return with a long let...

Edited by Likener1

It depends entirely on whether you hope to attract short-term or long-term tenants, and how much you expect them to pay.

Most buildings supply cable TV as a matter of course. Wifi is generally available weekly/monthly from the building front office, and those renting for longer can sign up with an internet provider that suits them.

If you want people to pay top dollar for a short-term rental then you will need to think about offering decent internet access and decent farang TV.

Water and electricity would need to be on permanently and your letting agent should sort this out.

But it seems that you are hoping to do this without using an agent, in which case I wish you good luck.

"Most buildings supply cable TV as a matter of course. Wifi is generally available weekly/monthly from the building front office, and those renting for longer can sign up with an internet "

That's what I was thinking too. I have satellite TV, but the building supplies Sophon cable to everyone for Baht 200 a month so I just pay for that even though I seldom use it. For short term renters that should be enough and if someone rents for longer term they can install satellite if they want (and if the building permits it).

Same for Internet. Some buildings are already wired for phone and Internet. If the renters wants either or both they can subscribe. The providers usually just make a connection as far as the building ground floor and the internal wiring would already be in place. Renter can subscribe to whatever service the building permits and be responsible for the charges. Not sure if you would be responsible for charges if the renter left unpaid bills. Our building also has an internal phone system similar to most hotels that can be used to dial out or receive calls, which is adequate for occasional land line calls if you approve that service be available. Of course if the renter calls Mom & Dad back in the US for a couple of hours every day during the month just before heading for the airport you'd get stuck with the bill. Good idea to get an upfront deposit just in case.

Better to check with management to see what's already provided and what they will permit to be installed.

Water and electricity would be better left connected. There will probably be some basic monthly charges payable to management for various common expenses whether the unit is occupied or not, as well as some annual charge for things like insurance and maintenance. But actually disconnecting and reconnecting with the electricity supply company would involve a charge and possible delay before service would be turned on again.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

a few things here, someone asked me how my condo would compete with hotels in central pattaya, well any decent hotel i know in central or soi buakao area are all say around 1200 even in low season, few low grade places like nature view for 800. my condo is in ccr city centre residence on poolside, over looking gym and sports bar and sauna area, sunken sports bar / coffee bar in the pool, reenters have free use of all facilities, renters can access soi buakao soi lk metro in 2-3 min walk ( ive done it ). so renter is away from hussle of the city but if he wants to have a night out its right there. when staying in hotels around buakao area i feel as if im missing something and sometimes it leads me into getting up at all hours of the morning to go out drinking etc, if im in a nice condo with all facilities i can relax a bit more grab coffee at bar, sit in pool, go to gym , cook own food in kitchen with oven etc and that means less spending on beer and action right ?

i was also wondering about agents cheating me and telling me that no one is renting, i have 2 trusted friends in pattaya i will give them sets of keys , one is a thai girl so she will speak to security and leave him in no doubt to what i am doing. i am also back and forth from pattaya and will let agent be aware of this from the start. then there is the issue of agent telling you he will get you 2000 per month when really he is getting 25k per month i do not know a way around this only to ask for reciepts but then again if i wanted to cheat a client i would just buy a spear reciept book .

internet and tv. i was at bbc yesterday in big c pattaya klang, their lowest prive tv package was i think 480 baht per month, and they do not have a cable for fibre optic to ccr area, they have only a sattalite connection to ccr area. i actually forget how much he wanted for that . though say its 1000 baht a month together. i dont want to pay that if condo is idle as ill be paying maintenance charges and water and electric also. there is as i say a wifi in whole of building going in, there is a connection box on the wall for a landline internet connection going in. what is my best option here , if there is a landline phone in room how do i stop any renter from calling family and friends back in their home country ? and also when i a at home ( not in pattaya ) i get a call from agent and he tells me he has a short renter for 3 months , how am i meant to get in touch with bbc and get cable and internet installed , maybe ask the renter to install it and he will be re imbursed ?

there is also the vetting process , how do you vet someone ? work details , bank statement etc etc ? short term renter i will ask agent that he pays a larger deposit of 10.000 baht. long term renter maybe slighly lower would that be the way to go ?

i have heard of boxes that can be installed to give all channels for a one off payment, anyone know of these ? what other advice can you give me and also give any other condo owners on the pros and cons of renting a condo. i feel like im going to be in for some stress but as condo is not complete yet and i got a great deal i will maybe think about selling in the second year if condo is not renting though i am certain it will , i have allreasy this week contacted 5 agents both thai and foreign agents and all have told me they think its good rental potential for 20-25k long term rent.

post-216244-0-74533500-1423965139_thumb.

post-216244-0-92116800-1423965149_thumb.

post-216244-0-60284800-1423965164_thumb.

post-216244-0-91191200-1423965187_thumb.

Edited by dirtycash

for a condo like that, looks modern and luxurious, in the pics anyway, renters would expect and should get good TV and internet otherwise they will choose somewhere else. I get good tv and internet for 8500 a month all inclusive, no hassle trying to set this up, just water, elec and housekeeping on top.

• Like 1

scuba , 8k a month ? is that what you are paying in monthly rent with hi speed internet plus good tv ? where is your condo and how does your landlord pull that one off ? he must not be making any money at all .

Edited by dirtycash

scuba , 8k a month ? is that what you are paying in monthly rent with hi speed internet plus good tv ? where is your condo and how does your landlord pull that one off ? he must not be making any money at all .

I know farang who are staying in Patts for 5k rent a month. I don't know any long termers who would be willing to pay 20-25k, most are in the region of 15k plus elec/water.

Nice condo you bought. What's the average psm price, may i ask?

Regarding TV, you can search for iptv in the internet subforum, there are many threads there. 2 names frequently mentioned are "ilikehd" and "Maige". The former doesn't come with box and you can subscribe as and when required on monthly basis ie. those months where there are no tenant, you can don't subscribe. As for "Maige", it comes with box and carries many Chinese channels, which may be a deal clincher for chinese tourists. I've not used either but is looking to get one for myself for the first time, so can't tell you much more than this. You will need a reliable and reasonably fast internet connection to use iptv.

You can ask the condo office to provide you with the electricity bill (or meter reading) every month. Then you can tell whether anyone has been staying at your place when you are not there to check yourself.

Internet AVAILABILITY is essential nowadays, but a wifi ticket from the office would be OK.

It's worth checking the wifi signals at the condo there are sometimes networks giving their phone number which you can hook onto at a price, thus buying a ticket short term then it's up to the tenant.

For TV any long term tenant wants a programme according to their needs and should be independent, but you might supply an HDMI cable so the TV can play off the tenant's computer. I for one play off You tube and files in preference and have cancelled TV packages at home.

You might even supply a flash drive with lots of movies on at little cost to your self but it would keep people company if they're at a loose end.

Again, short term rentals are a pain.

• Like 1

I would not provide Internet, you have no idea what people are doing in your name. Internet can be had for 200-700b pm and they need to live with that. If they want to stay years, they csn get their own.

Edited by Mencken

How does your rate compete with hotel rooms (5 mins walk to Central) charging Bt1200 at present and Bt900 during the low season?

my rate would blow away any hotel in central pattaya away for short term lets, sauna, jacuzzi , sports bar, gym. look at any popular hotel in soi buakao 1200 a night their rooms are s""t. blue ocean about the best for nice interior but you pay 1300 a night to best of my knowledge .

post-216244-0-82648400-1424433080_thumb.

post-216244-0-44214600-1424433091_thumb.

post-216244-0-39528900-1424433100_thumb.

2000 baht/day, is this the 1 million baht condo you were asking for?rolleyes.gif

most larger building will have wifi there are also things like 3bb wifi on daily/monthly in some areas.

tv, i wouldnt bother with even putting it in.

No, its the 2 million one he bought, which is by the Sukhumvit road, so how he manages to walk to soi Buakao in 2 mins and 5 mins to Pattaya Klang remains a mystery.

Not to mention how he plans to rent it out to tourists being 300 plus units availability and being WAY OUT of tourist zone also remains a mystery.

The upside is though, it only takes 5-10 mins walk to Pattaya Tai through deserted soi full of soi dogs, nice level of noise from 3 Karaoke bars surrounding the condo and only 10 min stroll to Big C

Oh almost forgot to , another construction is to start soon right next to this plot, so plenty of noise and dust to go aroundgiggle.gif

All telco companies will have a connection running to the condo or will have a box near by. Some will charge 1000 to have unit connected, some will do it for free.

Condo management may also sell WiFi.

99% chance, condo will also be wired for Sophon and True

• Like 1

my rate would blow away any hotel in central pattaya away for short term lets, sauna, jacuzzi , sports bar, gym. look at any popular hotel in soi buakao 1200 a night their rooms are s""t. blue ocean about the best for nice interior but you pay 1300 a night to best of my knowledge .

You bought Unixx, but showing pics of City Center?w00t.gif

• Like 1

You bought Unixx, but showing pics of City Center?w00t.gif

booked the unixx, withdrew my offer recieved refund . bought the ccr - city centre residence poolside condo, paid for in full coffee1.gif

Edited by dirtycash