Driving from Chaiyaphum to Samui

Hi all,

I will be driving from chaiyaphum to samui and know it's around 1200km.

I plan to divide the trip in 2 with an overnight stay somewhere along. Any advice/recommendation where I should stop for the night?

Also what time should I be looking at arriving at donsak pier in order to avoids problems with boarding the ferry? Would arriving around 3 pm be enough time to board a ferry should they be busy? I don't want to miss the last one and have to spend the night in my pickup.

If it's any worth I should arrive don sak pier on Monday afternoon.

Cheers!

Maps Google says 1051km total and time of 15:11 minutes driving/ferry so expect either Hua Hin or Prachuap Khiri Khan would be best overnight option - Prachuap is 7:55 from start and good food/hotel so that would be my choice to overnight.

Sorry but do not know best time to meet ferry.

Ferry availability depends on when you are planning your trip. Around Chinese New Year a lot of tourists and Thais head to and away from Samui. It is not uncommon to wait 3 or more ferries around these peak travel dates.

But there are a few affordable hotels/motels close to the pier, should you need to wait until the next day to catch the ferry.

• Like 1

You can make a booking for the ferry.

I drove from/to Samui many times from distances like that and I never planned how far I will come, just decided on the way. But always quite further than HH. After Chumphon there is a nice and cheap hotel next to the highway for instance. Sometimes I drove until Surat Thani.

Don't drive in the night. It's very strenuous.

• Like 1

Thanks all for replying. I think I'll drive to chumpon (around 800km) spend the night. Then leave early morning to donsak (around 300km) so should arrive around midday.

@birdman, I agree 100% night driving is tiring, many Thais prefer to drive long distance nighttime because of traffic I guess. But it definitely ain't for me! Distances seem double whenever I drove at night!

Do you have the name of the hotel after chumpon you mention?

Thanks to all once again.