Rare anti-coup protest in Thailand

Lite Beer

A brave bunch of kids practicing freedom.

The lady said she wants democracy back, Being elected doesn't mean the government is going to rule democratically. PTP were elected but were NOT democratic hence the ousting of Yingluck.

I applaud opposing sides airing their views, But the reasons because the army intervened took topple their darling.

We had a government who governed undemocratically, We have an army controlling that is not democratically voted in, BACK TO BASICS IS REQUIRED HERE, and a chance the PM can eventually make SOME inroads.

Talking nonsense. Do you know the meaning of democracy?

Sadly you do not, if you think that PTP government was run democratically. Being elected does NOT entitle you to be undemocratic. I see you are among this aggravating group (minority by a long way) on TVF. doesn't that tell you something DOH.

• Like 2

Once again, the supporters of military rule ignore the violence used to obstruct elected government and disrupt an election, they insist the only violence was the reaction against the anti-democracy protesters.

Oh, and of course a coup was the only answer. The military making it clear they wanted elections and taking actions to ensure they would happen just wasn't an option for the anti-democracy crowd. It was truly a missed opportunity, a July 2014 election would have taken place when the PTP and Shinawatra's were at a low point in popularity. But of course the protests and coup weren't about defanging the Shinawatra's democratically, they were about denying the majority in Thailand the opportunity to choose their government.

The above is off-topic, but since many posts ignoring the OP and giving a biased history review have been allowed, I assume it will be permitted.

When was YInglucks term due to end? But you are right, the amnesty bill and exposing of the rice scam with protests was enough of fresh elections. If the EC had been impartial (along with the courts and many other 'neutral' agencies) then we could of well been living under a Dem or indeed another government right now. Would everyone of been happy? No of course not, but the Thai people would of had their vote and not had their freedoms snatched away from them by the elite AGAIN.

What did any of the previous coups in this country (barring the first one) actually change or do good for the nation? Any of you military junta supporting boys care to tell us? There has been 19 of them so many examples to use. Let's not make it about shins or reds either.

• Like 2

I just posted that I "Like" ddjamie's post. He had some very thoughtful comments in support of Phrayut that I agree with. In the situation that was confronting Thailand last May, a coup might actually have been the only reasonable option.

I truly hope the good General succeeds in his efforts to revamp the Thai political scene, but I also hope that he understands that big things spawn from small beginnings.

The army let the situation occur, they supported the Yellow crims behind the scenes, they armed Sutheps thugs, they funded the illegal rioting, they undermined the police and they where derelict in their self appointed duty of protecting the Thai people from internal threats. He cannot succeed, he can only delay the inevitable, enjoy your 5 minutes of nationalistic, right wing semi-fascism, democracy always triumphs.

No it was Thaksin that started it all, the PTP would still be in power if he had not let them add his name to the amnesty list (after they send the opposition home to vote on it an other pearl of democratic example). It was this that channeled the opposition and led to the downfall of the PTP and the rule of the junta. When will the redshirts get their facts straight. Probably never as it im embarrassing to them to see how selfish their leader is and how he breaks it all down.

Even the redshirt leaders acknowledge that it was this action that led to the demise of the government.

The amnesty vote gave the plotters an opening and they took it. The people have had the right to protest in the streets against the government and they did so. Yinglucks' response? She did the right thing, she dissolved parliament and called for fresh elections - returning power to the people to decide who they want to lead the country. What happened next is the reason Thailand is a basket case. The street mob crossed the line into illegality, they blockaded and sabotaged elections, they targeted individual businesses and citizens, they set loose an unaccountable armed militia in the city streets, they illegally occupied government offices and public spaces, they kidnapped, assaulted and even murdered innocents, they threw grenades at police officers.... the list goes on and on and on.........and what did the heroes in green do-----------NOTHING. They sat on their fat green asses and let the whole show implode because they were the puppet masters all along. A coup wasn't the only reasonable action, it was the desired outcome right from the start and the heroes in green did all they could to ensure it succeeded, duty be damned.

That has to be the funnest dam post I've read in a loooooong time !! Just to Dam Funny I'm glad someone has a sense of humor. Lmao

Nooooo...what's funny is your disagreement !!!! You seem to know nothing !!!

Quote "The four activists, identified as Siravich Serithivat, Pansak Srithep, Anont Nampa and Wannakiat Chusuwan, were arrested by Pathumwan police and detained at the district’s police station for violating Order 7/2557 of the National Council for Peace and Order which bans political gathering in public of more than five people."

Four people arrested under a law forbidding gatherings of more than five. Maybe they can sue for wrongful arrest.

Edited by apetley
  • Like 1

I just posted that I "Like" ddjamie's post. He had some very thoughtful comments in support of Phrayut that I agree with. In the situation that was confronting Thailand last May, a coup might actually have been the only reasonable option.

I truly hope the good General succeeds in his efforts to revamp the Thai political scene, but I also hope that he understands that big things spawn from small beginnings.

The army let the situation occur, they supported the Yellow crims behind the scenes, they armed Sutheps thugs, they funded the illegal rioting, they undermined the police and they where derelict in their self appointed duty of protecting the Thai people from internal threats. He cannot succeed, he can only delay the inevitable, enjoy your 5 minutes of nationalistic, right wing semi-fascism, democracy always triumphs.

No it was Thaksin that started it all, the PTP would still be in power if he had not let them add his name to the amnesty list (after they send the opposition home to vote on it an other pearl of democratic example). It was this that channeled the opposition and led to the downfall of the PTP and the rule of the junta. When will the redshirts get their facts straight. Probably never as it im embarrassing to them to see how selfish their leader is and how he breaks it all down.

Even the redshirt leaders acknowledge that it was this action that led to the demise of the government.

So Thaksin is behind all the woes in Thailand since 1932 then and all 19 coups were his fault?

I take it you can't find the common denominator in every single coup that's took place as you're too busy looking at the trees and unable to see the woods?

Sure Thaksin is a megalomaniac but he's in good company these days as there's a few about who are cut from the same cloth but it's just a different colour ie, yellow and green!

We are discussing the latest coup and how it could happen.. without Thaksin adding his name to the list there would not be a coup as it would not have gotten the response to start protesting. if you want to go back in history have fun, i prefer to keep it current.

• Like 1

no, the plan for the uprising was ready springtime 2013, I was informed by "yellow" friends about the conspiracy in july 2013, months before the amnesty bill voting.

Tinfoil had alert.. without that enormous overreach on Thaksin his side the PTP would still be firm in place. All this can be brought back to Thaksin.. just like most of the problems in this country. It must really hurt the reds that it is their leader that helped the coupmakers gain support.

And I heard from the postman that Thaksin is truly an alien.. (i always like those conspiracy nuts they really make my day)

Why the asinine comments ? You have clearly blocked out he part where Suthep went on record and told all who would listen the coup was planned well in advance and he and prayuth were co conspirators!! You don't believe he's playing at being a monk by choice do you?

He's been shut away to avoid anymore "loose talk" that doesn't need a tinfoil hat to understand and the protests were a front for a much bigger flashpoint that's imminent and that's why the Junta HAVE to be in power when that happens.

• Like 2

Just to throw in a few names to establish some perspective here: Chalerm, Plodsaprop, Snoh, hands up who wants that shower back. Forget Barbie, she's an airhead nobody, but a rather effective New Face of Taksinism.

Not sure what you want to say but putting into perspective all those you mentioned are legitimate elected MPs. Now to put that into current perspective, none in the government are elected. Now that is a face of militarism.

What I want to spell out is that that this is the caliber of 'elected' cabinet members Thailand would be stuck with in perpetuity if PTP had been allowed on it's untrammeled way.

I don't believe for one moment all the hysteria about the junta or their alleged appointees being able to turn Thailand into N.Korea II. The World has moved on. Citizens are able to access social media and the fact that protests are reduced to a few students eating sandwiches shows the overwhelming majority understand Taksin and his megalomaniac money grubbing ways had to be stopped.

However I also believe he should have been left to implode, as he surely would have done back in 2006 when his popularity was at an all time low. An opportunity lost. Thailand is balancing itself out. Hard lessons hopefully learned.

The amnesty vote gave the plotters an opening and they took it. The people have had the right to protest in the streets against the government and they did so. Yinglucks' response? She did the right thing, she dissolved parliament and called for fresh elections - returning power to the people to decide who they want to lead the country. What happened next is the reason Thailand is a basket case. The street mob crossed the line into illegality, they blockaded and sabotaged elections, they targeted individual businesses and citizens, they set loose an unaccountable armed militia in the city streets, they illegally occupied government offices and public spaces, they kidnapped, assaulted and even murdered innocents, they threw grenades at police officers.... the list goes on and on and on.........and what did the heroes in green do-----------NOTHING. They sat on their fat green asses and let the whole show implode because they were the puppet masters all along. A coup wasn't the only reasonable action, it was the desired outcome right from the start and the heroes in green did all they could to ensure it succeeded, duty be damned.

That has to be the funnest dam post I've read in a loooooong time !! Just to Dam Funny I'm glad someone has a sense of humor. Lmao

Nooooo...what's funny is your disagreement !!!! You seem to know nothing !!!

Well I do know the circus is in town because the red clowns keep posting their bull shit. :-) Now if I could just buy some popcorn.

Students being arrested and 'attitude adjusted' for freedom of speech and here are the junta fan boys condoning this because...because..."but..but the shins!"

inexcusable. Stop deflecting away from the argument and at least admit this is on many levels WRONG! Stop making it about your hate for the last ELECTED government.

I don't agree with freedom of speech or think that democracy (Shinawatra style) is democracy. Winning a mandate is meaningless if you don't rule by democratic means and having the so called freedom to say what you want is wrong and damaging (at this point of time) and should be monitored and controlled if it is inflammatory.

Just let the good General get on with his job of fixing the nation and purging the Shinawatras and his corrupt followers so that Thai's can get back on their feet and find happiness in their life!!!

These brainless students are wrong in their defence of criminals and need attitude adjustment as much as any such supporters of this evil and conniving regime with Thaksin at the helm.

A brave bunch of kids practicing freedom.

A flash of light in the darkness, these kids are the county's future.

Unless Thailand wants to go back to the dark ages I certainly hope that is not the case - these are the type of brainless morons that will end up in the gutter or selling Yaba on the streets!!!

Lildragon, the truth is that everyday regular Thais simply don't take any interests in current affairs or who is in charge, it's like the woman with the sagging fence in another thread, I live up in Issan and I've yet to see a single poster of the current PM Anywhere, not in houses, not shops or healthcare centres.

Most Thais just want to get on with their lives, it's the rich and powerful on both sides of the political divide that have vested interests as to who is in power and it how long. it's a giant game of chess, the regular Thais being sacrificial pawns and if you're smart you'll be able to read between the lines with that comment. ?

I'm currently sitting in a public place surrounded by hundreds if not thousands of Thais without a care in the world, not a single bit of difference to being here in 2012, it's like nothing has happened, life has gone on, same in the village I live in, not seen a single change in atmospherics or behaviour and above all, not a single Army presence in any of the places I go in Issan, the army are very very low key, you would be hard pushed to believe that martial law I in place to be honest, and I'm willing to bet I'm not the only Farang who notices this ?

I love this country I care not about the internal politics I want my family to have a chance and have a good life, I want my children to know he difference between right and wrong, and have old fashioned values, I will never teach them about the 15 principles of democracy or indeed anyone else, as to be quite frank, it's not my country and I cannot change it, and it's not my place to teach them such things, honestly do you think that children under 10 understand politics?

Save the 15 principles for this qualified to teach and remember most farangs are here by choice, and our principles should never be forced onto anyone else just like religion.

Teach them right from wrong and to respect the law but above all respect for others and their opinions, save the 15 principles of democracy for up and coming Politicians and Military personnel, as they nee to understand them more than the kids !!!

Well said Haggis. And yeah I got the pawn part thumbsup.gif

And referring to an earlier post of yours about the junta having to be in power for the time of Thailand finally having to turn around to face that huge elephant in the room, spot on, shame we can't really discuss it.

• Like 1

Students being arrested and 'attitude adjusted' for freedom of speech and here are the junta fan boys condoning this because...because..."but..but the shins!"

inexcusable. Stop deflecting away from the argument and at least admit this is on many levels WRONG! Stop making it about your hate for the last ELECTED government.

I don't agree with freedom of speech or think that democracy (Shinawatra style) is democracy. Winning a mandate is meaningless if you don't rule by democratic means and having the so called freedom to say what you want is wrong and damaging (at this point of time) and should be monitored and controlled if it is inflammatory.

Just let the good General get on with his job of fixing the nation and purging the Shinawatras and his corrupt followers so that Thai's can get back on their feet and find happiness in their life!!!

These brainless students are wrong in their defence of criminals and need attitude adjustment as much as any such supporters of this evil and conniving regime with Thaksin at the helm.

"Just let the good General get on with his job of fixing the nation and purging the Shinawatras and his corrupt followers so that Thai's can get back on their feet and find happiness in their life!!!"

You post that and accuse others of being brainless!?

• Like 2