Probation

aTomsLife

Though interested in getting back into the classroom, with the crackdown on illegal workers I'm concerned about the probationary period a lot of schools impose on their western teachers.

Having taught at a technical college, a government elementary school, as well as a couple language schools, the latter is the best fit for me. Is there anyone in BKK who can lend some insight into the situation? Are language schools being closely monitored there? What are the odds of being caught, and thus deported, during those initial 3 to 6 months while in visa limbo? Thanks.

imo if they won't apply for a visa & work permit etc for you during your probation period, then don't accept the job. Or simply tell them that you want a shorter probation period, since they should be able to tell whether they want you to continue or not within 2-4 weeks. And since they'll need to do all of the paperwork + pay for a WP/Visa regardless if they do want to keep you, it's not worth beating around the bush which only creates uncertainty for both you and them (As well as being technically illegal).

If it's really all just a question of visa fees for them, I'd be tempted to lay it out myself to avoid working illegally. The problem of course is that I'd probably never see that money again, and I'd be setting yet another precedent for how to screw over western teachers.

had a friend who did this

the school just kept making excuses and delayed things for close to a year

when the person left the school refused to pay monies owing

teacher couldnt really complain as was technically working illegally

sounds like a con to me

I agree with the above. Six months probation, are you serious? Do not work at that school, lol.

You should have your wp in 90 days. If not, give them another month. Ask to see the paperwork on the day you are paid. If none, leave.

<snip>

Edited by Jai Dee
removed vulgar reference

had a friend who did this

the school just kept making excuses and delayed things for close to a year

when the person left the school refused to pay monies owing

teacher couldnt really complain as was technically working illegally

sounds like a con to me

If your friend did not violate any conditions of his or her contract they have the option of filing a grievance with the local labor board over unpaid wages (if said friend has got a copy or not). Local labor boards do not care if working without permit but generally are there to protect the workers rights.

As well a probation period works for both parties as the employee can leave without notice as well if they do not like the work and receive their full pay for the hours put in. That being said it is still against the law to work without the correct visa and wp.