Poll: Court should decide if Yingluck can go overseas

Lite Beer

Poll: Court should decide if Yingluck can go overseas

BANGKOK, 15 Feb 2015 (NNT) – A recent survey by the National Institute of Development and Administration (NIDA) has found that most of the respondents think the court should be the one to consider former PM Yingluck Shinwatra’s request to leave abroad following the impeachment.

The poll, conducted among 1,252 people across the country during February 12-13, discovered that 48 percent of the respondents were of the opinion that the court should be the one who decided whether Ms. Yingluck should be allowed to go overseas. Twenty-five percent felt that the former premier should not be allowed to leave the country at the moment as her case was already under a legal process. Twenty-three percent, meanwhile, said she should be allowed to go overseas as it was her rights.

When asked whether they thought the former PM would come back if allowed to leave the country, about 35 percent believe she would do so as scheduled, roughly 33 percent thought otherwise. Around 14 percent guessed she would return to the country but behind the schedule. Three percent were either unsure whether she would return, or had no opinion.

The poll was conducted shortly after reports that the National Council for Peace and Order had turned down Ms. Yingluck’s request to take an overseas trip, reasoning that she had had been indicted for negligence of duty in the rice pledging scheme. The former PM was earlier impeached by the National Legislative Assembly.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-02-15 footer_n.gif

Nida Poll says people believe Ms Yingluck will return if she is allowed to leave the country

283253-imagepng-4423919-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Over 47 percent of respondents to the Nida Poll have suggested that the court should be the authority to decide whether to allow former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra to leave the country for abroad or not and 35.22 percent believe she will return within the schedule.

The above poll result was conducted by the National Institute of Development and Administration, better known as Nida, from 1,252 samplings during February 12-13.

The poll shows 25.33 percent of the respondents said the National Council for Peace and Order should not allow her to leave because she might seek political asylum abroad compared to 23.16 percent who said that the NCPO should allow her to leave because it is her right and that she has done anything seriously illegal.

32.75 percent believe she will not return once she leaves the country and 14.46 percent believe she will return but after the schedule while 2.64 percent believe she will not leave the country.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/nida-poll-says-people-believe-ms-yingluck-will-return-allowed-leave-country

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-02-15

It reminds me of a Totalitarian Family Fortunes . "Our Survey Said"

"32.75 percent believe she will not return once she leaves the country and 14.46 percent believe she will return but after the schedule while 2.64 percent believe she will not leave the country."

Not trying to sow any seeds there at all are they ?

Why does she need to leave the country except to escape conviction?

It's not like her visa is expiring.

Because under any normal constitution she will have the right to do so. Why do you travel ? The fact that came from this poll was that the majority that participated in the survey believe in the rule of law and not in the rule by law. Unfortunately when the military is the government and their budies are the judges and the prosecuters are their henchmen there can't be any rule of law.

Why does she need to leave the country except to escape conviction?

It's not like her visa is expiring.

Because under any normal constitution she will have the right to do so. Why do you travel ? The fact that came from this poll was that the majority that participated in the survey believe in the rule of law and not in the rule by law. Unfortunately when the military is the government and their budies are the judges and the prosecuters are their henchmen there can't be any rule of law.
I'm not suspected of doing anything illegal and am therefore free to travel as I wish. If she is convinced of her innocence then stay and face a trial. To many have flown away never to face trial I can't blame them, the present administration, for not allowing her to leave. I mean is another genuine Gucci handbag this week that important. Make do with a fake one like the rest of us. Edited by Keesters

Unless she is charged with an offence she should be free to travel as she wishes.

this thread -: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/800471-civil-case-on-rice-scheme-unfair-ex-pms-lawyer/?utm_source=newsletter-20150215-1123&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news seems to suggest there are several cases against her before the courts and her lawyers want them heard before civil cases are brought before the courts

In a society with a normal judicial system, the court would have no jurisdiction to determine whether she can leave the country. A person cannot lose their rights (in this case as provided under the Interim Charter in Article 4) simply because they are suspected to have committed a crime.

The Junta needs to "put up or shut up." Direct her arrest. Then the Supreme Court can decide the extent of her civil liberties. But I'm okay with the self-inflicted controversary because it continues to present Yingluck as a victim and she'll gain more support for it.

In a society with a normal judicial system, the court would have no jurisdiction to determine whether she can leave the country. A person cannot lose their rights (in this case as provided under the Interim Charter in Article 4) simply because they are suspected to have committed a crime.

The Junta needs to "put up or shut up." Direct her arrest. Then the Supreme Court can decide the extent of her civil liberties. But I'm okay with the self-inflicted controversary because it continues to present Yingluck as a victim and she'll gain more support for it.

refer to my post above yours it appears from the linked story there are cases before the courts and as such a person can not travel freely

and in some "societies with a normal judicial system", they can indeed prevent you from travelling while you are a suspect in a continuing investigation

• Like 1

Unless she is charged with an offence she should be free to travel as she wishes.

If there is a flight risk then the answer is no, she is not free to travel.

The "shinawatra shuffle" of running away may be hereditary. I don't think the Junta want to take the gamble that it isn't. And besides gambling is illegal inThailand and with the Junta's respect for the law they will never gamble on yingluck doing the "shin shuffle".

To highlight further that the Junta is not the big bad entity that the bitter and twisted terrorist supporters make out the length of time someone in Thailand can be held depends on the maximum sentence of the offense for which the person is detained on suspicion of. The laws on this are below.

• For offences carrying a maximum penalty of three years’ imprisonment or less, an alleged offender can be held on remand for up to six days. However, you must be remanded at court within 48 hours of your arrest.

• For offences carrying a penalty of up to ten years’ imprisonment, an alleged offender can be held on remand for up to 48 days during a police investigation period before the file is passed to the Public Prosecutor. However, you must be remanded at court within 48 hours.

• For offences carrying a minimum penalty of ten years’ imprisonment, an alleged offender can be held on remand for up to 84 days, during a police investigation period before the file is passed to the Public Prosecutor. However, you must be remanded at court within 48 hours of your detention. The police can ask the court for more time in limited circumstances.

Guess what…..Yingluck is facing a 10 year sentence and she is free. So if anything the Junta are disrespecting the law to ensure she is comfortable which surprise, surprise is what the Junta said was their priority 3 days ago after her car was searched in CM. They see her as a VIP needing security and comfort. She has it in spades. What a difference from UDD supporters that treat their "enemies" with violent tendencies by threatening to kill Prayuth's twin daughters.

If I was Prayuth I would not be showing the restraint and care the opposition never afforded him. I would show a vengeance that would be merciless if they threatened my kids with death.

Does anyone on this forum have kids? Just imagine if they threatened your kids..What would you do…Well whatever it is Prayuth is NOT doing it…God bless his sincere, caring heart by putting aside personal agendas to benefit the majority. This could explain why he is the most popular PM inn the last 10 years.

​Gotto love the Junta…

​So all that is left now is the predictable reply to my post by someone, that through frustration, cannot articulate an intelligent rebuttal and simply say "Your an idiot". I love those comments because it shows I am right ensuring the opposition are of a limited mental capacity.

Edited by djjamie

The "shinawatra shuffle" of running away may be hereditary. I don't think the Junta want to take the gamble that it isn't. And besides gambling is illegal inThailand and with the Junta's respect for the law they will never gamble on yingluck doing the "shin shuffle".

To highlight further that the Junta is not the big bad entity that the bitter and twisted terrorist supporters make out the length of time someone in Thailand can be held depends on the maximum sentence of the offense for which the person is detained on suspicion of. The laws on this are below.

• For offences carrying a maximum penalty of three years’ imprisonment or less, an alleged offender can be held on remand for up to six days. However, you must be remanded at court within 48 hours of your arrest.

• For offences carrying a penalty of up to ten years’ imprisonment, an alleged offender can be held on remand for up to 48 days during a police investigation period before the file is passed to the Public Prosecutor. However, you must be remanded at court within 48 hours.

• For offences carrying a minimum penalty of ten years’ imprisonment, an alleged offender can be held on remand for up to 84 days, during a police investigation period before the file is passed to the Public Prosecutor. However, you must be remanded at court within 48 hours of your detention. The police can ask the court for more time in limited circumstances.

Guess what…..Yingluck is facing a 10 year sentence and she is free. So if anything the Junta are disrespecting the law to ensure she is comfortable which surprise, surprise is what the Junta said was their priority 3 days ago after her car was searched in CM. They see her as a VIP needing security and comfort. She has it in spades. What a difference from UDD supporters that treat their "enemies" with violent tendencies by threatening to kill Prayuth's twin daughters.

If I was Prayuth I would not be showing the restraint and care the opposition never afforded him. I would show a vengeance that would be merciless if they threatened my kids with death.

Does anyone on this forum have kids? Just imagine if they threatened your kids..What would you do…Well whatever it is Prayuth is NOT doing it…God bless his sincere, caring heart by putting aside personal agendas to benefit the majority. This could explain why he is the most popular PM inn the last 10 years.

​Gotto love the Junta…

​So all that is left now is the predictable reply to my post by someone, that through frustration, cannot articulate an intelligent rebuttal and simply say "Your an idiot". I love those comments because it shows I am right ensuring the opposition are of a limited mental capacity.

"he is the most popular PM inn the last 10 years"

The General(s), from the 2006 coup, must be green with envy.

• Like 1

​Gotto love the Junta…

Your post is an odd one because you seem to be blithely unaware of the tensions (Yingluck's travel abroad/exile) between various factions of the military government/PDRC extremists/high ranking wise men.This is not a matter of taking a particular position, simply a statement of the reality which sophisticated observers on both sides fully understand.You apparently seem not to have a clue.

Honestly, the general standard of education and intelligence of many Thai Visa posters is shocking to me...

How can anyone talk about bail, or flight risk until she has been charged with an offence.

How can anyone question her need to travel ? This is about rights.

How can anyone compare this to her brother ? He was charged and convicted. It was the court that allowed him to travel overseas.. remember ?

Common sense says that if she has done wrong and there is any evidence of such then she should be charged.

Of course, once charged with an offence then freedom to travel can be withheld.

I don't care who we are talking about here, the law should be the same for everyone.