Leaving Thailand for good

maxme

I moved back to the UK a little over 2 years ago. I miss Thailand, but I forgot how much I missed the UK as well. Although I can't see myself moving back to Thailand anytime soon, I'll be asking Willie Walsh to keep me a seat open on Speedbird 009/010 as I hope to make frequent use of it.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I plan to live in Thailand for the duration.

But if for some reason I had to leave, these would be my parting words:

Thank you, Thailand, for your acceptance, your kindness, your welcome, your warmth, your smiles and your laughter.

Thank you for all that you tried to teach me, even though I only soaked in a tiny bit of all you had to offer.

Thank you for your patience, and your willingness to let me discover things for myself.

Thank you, Thailand, for letting me be who I am and for letting me discover who I am.

Thank you for giving me the chance to be a husband and a father.

Thank you for helping me to grow as a person, and for helping me feel my life had purpose and meaning.

Thank you for helping me understand what's important in life.

I love you, Thailand. I miss you already, Thailand. I will never forget you.

Thank you, Thailand.

Thank you, thank you, thank you."

Please stop the slobbering now. Not even "Berkshire" or "Suradit69", would slobber and grovel that much.

Thank you, Thailand, for your acceptance, your kindness, your welcome, your warmth, your smiles and your laughter.

Thank you for all that you tried to teach me, even though I only soaked in a tiny bit of all you had to offer.

Thank you for your patience, and your willingness to let me discover things for myself.

Thank you, Thailand, for letting me be who I am and for letting me discover who I am.

Thank you for helping me to grow as a person, and for helping me feel my life had purpose and meaning.

Thank you, Thailand.

Please stop the slobbering now. Not even "Berkshire" or "Suradit69", would slobber and grovel that much.

Commendable sentiments but, in black and white, it is hardly a balanced view of Thailand.

If I felt like that,I would never leave.

if you go back home, you are subject to pay your tax.

in Thailand you are tax exempted from your worldwide income, you pay tax on the money you make in Thailand only. this is why I prefer to live and work in Thailand and keep the rest of my fortune outside of Thailand.

USA and Europe are becoming crap lands if you reside there more than 6 months a year.

once you go back, you never come back.!

regrettably for me, there is no way back. pay 40 percent of tax is a deal breaker.

Edited by VIPinthailand

Thank you, Thailand.

I'm not groveling or slobbering, [deleted]. I'm expressing my genuine sentiments. I know it's hard for the "Thaier-than-Thai," and "Thai-ness" brigades to believe, but some people really and truly do love Thailand.

Edited by Gecko123

if you go back home, you are subject to pay your tax.

in Thailand you are tax exempted from your worldwide income, you pay tax on the money you make in Thailand only. this is why I prefer to live and work in Thailand and keep the rest of my fortune outside of Thailand.

USA and Europe are becoming crap lands if you reside there more than 6 months a year.

once you go back, you never come back.!

regrettably for me, there is no way back. pay 40 percent of tax is a deal breaker.

If you maintain your US citizenship you are still liable for income taxes on money earned in the U.S., which for many of us are pensions, Social Security, investments etc.

could not have said it better but would just add a few things to the thank you list. If you are willing to learn from the Thais there are numerous positives. if you spend the majority trying to copy everything you left behind , being afraid of everything new, the food, the culture ,the language and spend the majority of your time hanging with other foreigners , sitting in bars and drinking yourself silly. Thailand has no problem chewing you up and spitting you out. the sad truth is the majority of expats make that fatal mistake and end up joining various versions of the Pattaya Flying Club. So don,t blame the Thais for all your problems you did it to yourself. Too many jump on the plane and expect to survive on money alone. If your unwilling to do some serious research and adapt to the country your now living in better you just stay home. Money alone will not save your sorry ass.

Thank you, Thailand.

Do you run into dual pricing on a daily basis? I certainly don't.

Pretty common if you go shopping for food in the markets.

Most markets I go to have the prices clearly on display.

Every one of these delivery trucks selling fruit, vegs or whatever have the prices on display.

Dont think I have ever been dual priced at the gas station, when paying the phone bill, electric or water bill, the can insurance is the same price as Thais pay, same for car parts such as tyres and batteries.

7 doesnt appear to have a dual pricing policy, I dont see it on a daily basis where I live in Bkk.

If you are a good comparison shopper and speak Thai you can eliminate price gouging of foreigners almost entirely. A couple of vendors have had to learn the hard way that overcharging will results in the loss of a customer.

The only place dual pricing is practiced openly is at national parks and tourist sites. It is the government's right to do this, and if you don't want to pay, don't go. Many universities and colleges in the US give preferential pricing to in-state students vs. out of state students. Same, same, no difference.

Personally being able to read Thai helps even more.

I have a pile of toilet reading material such as flyers from B Kwik etc, I can read and see the prices for things like batteries and tyres.

Honda Summit at Hua mark has the prices listed outside the service centre for all to read.

The other week I went to B Kwik to ask about replacing brake pads, Somchai pulled out the manual and showed the price, all written in Thai, so no attempt to rip off or double price me.

Every one of these delivery trucks selling fruit, vegs or whatever have the prices on display.

Dont think I have ever been dual priced at the gas station, when paying the phone bill, electric or water bill, the can insurance is the same price as Thais pay, same for car parts such as tyres and batteries.

7 doesnt appear to have a dual pricing policy, I dont see it on a daily basis where I live in Bkk.

the larger chains are more sly they have things called member cards. so tourist farang miss out on the cut price items. sure you too can get a card and get the discounts too, but then there are places like family mart where inquiring about the free card that was displayed prominently as available, i was told farang cannot

if at the markets and no price displayed i assume this means that those items are not for sale and go to the next vendor without stopping.

I already have such cards, Club Card for Tesco/Lotus, Big C, Home Pro, Thai Watsadu, Ikea etc etc.

Not being a tourist its doesnt bother me, jeez what the heck are you buying in Family Mart you would need a discount for, durex?

If no price displayed, I pay what I think the item is worth to me, must admit out of the farang enclaves and toursit dives, every where I shop has prices.

Thank you, Thailand.

Awesome post. I'm sure a few people here will mock you for it, but <deleted> those losers. Nice to read such a heartfelt, genuine sentiment.

i spend a few thousand baht on my 7-11 card a month and thus get accumulated points discounts etc. they add up over time.

if i had a family mart card i assume it would be similar story. but i dont shop there much and their not giving me a discount card wont increase that little at all. family mart stock similar stuff to 7-11.

Edited by koo wallety tourist

I'm amazed anyone could find that much stuff they actually want in 7-11.

bottled water goes for the bulk of the first 1000, then snacks, plastic tray meals, milk, icecream, toasted stuff, assorted drinks, etc soon add up

buy water from a cheaper place? couldn't be bothered carrying it when 7-11 is 50 meters away. some people prefer to spend more on rent, booze, petrol, taxis, etc. i prefer to spend more on water

Edited by koo wallety tourist

Lasted seven years, came back last fall.

Cost of living is cheaper here,

Huh????

Please don't edit my posts. Forum rules require you quote them in their entirety.

You know, this particular misperception is an ongoing argument on TV. And it is usually made by people with mediocre job histories, and/or a miserable existence in their homeland, making retiring to Asia and "enjoying" forty baht meals out, 150 baht massages, and 1000 baht "girlfriends," a good deal.

All the foods I like are available here at no up charge. In Thailand they carry a 300% up charge---even before Villa or Foodland grab their own take.

On Friday, I bought a very nice Chilean Malbec, on sale, for $4.19. That's 125 baht. IN LOS, the same wine was close to 700 baht. I bought an excellent cheese on special, thick smoked bacon for a dollar a pound, and a steelhead trout filet for $4 (fresh, not farmed). That's far less than what I paid at Villa.

My gym does not require a membership, and so has no pesky salesman. It has a flat rate of $15 per month. I, like all members, have a key, making it available 24/7.

When I use UPS or FedEx here, they are reliable and reasonable. Nothing gets stolen, or nailed for extra fees.

When I pay a serviceman here to do work on my vehicle, or my lawnmower, or my plumbing or electric, it is almost always done expeditiously, safely and right, the first time. This, as opposed to going through a series of workers who not only don't get it right, but often make a problem worse.

In LOS, I never had my '65 Honda motorbike running correctly, because the mechanics were incompetent or dishonest. Or both. This increases a tradesman's "bargain" rates considerably, making them no longer a bargain.

One time when I went to pick up my bike after some work, I noticed the original Honda seat was replaced by junk, and my seat was on the bike of the mechanic's buddy. When I pointed this out, they did this: whistling.gif . When I insisted they put it back on my bike, they became confrontational. I had to pay a cop to get my seat back. I don't think I have never had that experience at a Honda bike shop in the USA.

I bought a new gas BBQ last week at Home Depot. Regular cost was $99. On sale for $69. What's a gas BBQ in Thailand? I know the answer: about 10,000 baht for junk. The price goes up from there. The dumbbells I bought in LOS? One there cost as much as six here.

If I buy something at most stores here, there is a no-questions-asked return policy. I have returned to the local Smith's Supermarket, a number of items I found unsatisfactory. Always a smile when handing back my money. As such, I am a loyal customer. In November after returning to the States, I was checking out some groceries, and the bill was fifty-some dollars. I jokingly asked the checker if he had any coupons. He reached in his apron pocket, and swiped one across the scanner, and my bill dropped to $32. This is now a regular occurrence.

Gas where I live is almost half the price it is in Thailand. It is lower in other states.

In Thailand used vehicles carry a ridiculous price. Last week, I bought a '66 Chevy Bel Air. It had sat in an old lady's garage for years, and has 38,000 original miles. I paid $3700 for it. Now I have my eye on a '65, fully restored Chev pickup. $7000. Far less than a used pickup in average condition in Thailand. Both are investments that will never lose me money.

The Asian market I shop in Salt Lake City, actually has lower prices than back at Rhek Thum's "fresh market." And they are the same brands.

Here the tennis courts are free, and in good condition.

Here, cops don't stop me when I'm driving legally, unlike Thailand where they attempt to extort money. And here, Avis doesn't even think of extorting me for a pre-existing scratch, when I return a rental to the airport, just because I speak English.

My dentist here does not try to drill out non-existent cavities, nor pull a cracked tooth that can be repaired (if you have good training), nor spends a mere 15 minutes "cleaning" my teeth. Here it takes a solid hour,and is done right, so I only have to go twice a year rather than every couple of months.

This summer I'm out to buy a piece of land and build a vacation home. It's mine when I'm done, though my wife's name will also be on it. And where we are building, land is cheaper per acre than the rubber tree land where I lived in Rhek Thum. Don't believe me? Do your due diligence and research it, and you'll find my claim holds water.

Most of the nutritional products I take that keep me free of those expensive American doctor bills, are not available in Thailand. The few that are, are substantially lower in price here than in LOS. After feeling like crap the past few years, I am once again healthy and have my vitality back. That has great economic value.

The firearms I buy to go hunting and target shooting are at the very least, 1/3 the price they are in Thailand. The books I read are cheaper when new at the store, and a once-read paperback bought at a garage sale is 10 baht.

The tools I will use to build my house, Makita, Ryobi, and Milwaukee, are much less expensive here in the States. And if they break, the warranty work is done locally and in days. Usually they just hand over a new tool. The building material selection is far more diverse here, enabling both short-term and long-term savings.

Are there exceptions? Are there things cheaper in LOS?

Sure. Instant water heaters, air conditioners, unhygienic meals out, short-time"girlfriends," and massages. There are others, such as contact lenses, but as a whole do not measure up to a genuine savings.

Many items may be cheaper, but are built so cheaply they have a crap service life. Water pumps, clothing, and electrical items are a good example. Speaking of clothing, I bought new Levis last month. On sale, plus a coupon, $22 a pair. Good luck with that in LOS.

Want to retire to a warm climate that has reasonable prices? Try Port Charlotte, Florida. Check out the land and housing prices, and all the free services and discounts for seniors. Thailand does not even come close.

Wow, this is a work of art! I may print it and frame it. Thanks for the effort!

If you are a good comparison shopper and speak Thai you can eliminate price gouging of foreigners almost entirely. A couple of vendors have had to learn the hard way that overcharging will results in the loss of a customer.

The only place dual pricing is practiced openly is at national parks and tourist sites. It is the government's right to do this, and if you don't want to pay, don't go. Many universities and colleges in the US give preferential pricing to in-state students vs. out of state students. Same, same, no difference.

Personally being able to read Thai helps even more.

I have a pile of toilet reading material such as flyers from B Kwik etc, I can read and see the prices for things like batteries and tyres.

Honda Summit at Hua mark has the prices listed outside the service centre for all to read.

The other week I went to B Kwik to ask about replacing brake pads, Somchai pulled out the manual and showed the price, all written in Thai, so no attempt to rip off or double price me.

referring to local markets and eats where prices are not posted not big c and tesco type stuff, obviously.

probably wont happen at a mall or mcdonalds.

asking the price beforehand on every little thing does work, but its a hassle for small vendors.

much easier to just pay and get change after you are handed the goods (which are by then either cooked, sliced, diced and safely in the obligatory plastic bag).

usually not enough to refuse the goods, but does annoy and can make for a bad day if its unfairly priced. as for losing a customer, anyone whos been here for awhile knows most vendors are not intelligent enough to figure this one out. some will come around if you frequent ofren and they think your more or less local.

happens a lot at coffee carts and food stalls. again, not the monetary loss but the <deleted> aspect that gets to me after awhile.

when I came to thaiand when I was 62 I intended to stay till I was 70. that happens next year and I will be leaving, not sure where I go but I will not return. I may add I like Thailand but my time is up

What exactly are your reasons Tom? I am contemplating coming to Thailand to move and I am 68. I would hate to make a mistake.

when I came to thaiand when I was 62 I intended to stay till I was 70. that happens next year and I will be leaving, not sure where I go but I will not return. I may add I like Thailand but my time is up

What exactly are your reasons Tom? I am contemplating coming to Thailand to move and I am 68. I would hate to make a mistake.

You didn't ask me, but I'll tell you my reasons. I moved to Thailand on a one year retirement extension after visiting as a tourist a number of times. I wasn't sure about the move so I didn't sell out in the USA. I kept my home, left my cars in the garage with float chargers on the batteries and left all of the utilities on. I knew someone who would go by regularly and check on the house including the work of the housekeeper and landscaper.

By the time not quite one year was up I'd had enough, got on an airplane and came "home." Others strongly disagree but I find Thailand great only for a vacation of at most 2 or 3 months. Then I really want to get back to a clean, sane first world environment where I can even drink the tap water, trust restaurant food and I don't see any litter, ever. I don't smell foul odors and drivers and roads are sensible.

Also, I'm not a guest in my country. I have a right to be here with rule of law and first world police and government.

I speak the language as does everyone else. I have no interest in learning Thai at my age and frankly, I'm not sure I could learn it. Things like that are best learned by young people. I'm somewhat hearing impaired in the upper tone ranges and that's where most Thais speak, with a sort of "sing song" pattern.

I find Thailand to be interesting and enjoyable for a while, but in reality it is a dirty, polluted, smelly, littered place populated by corrupt police and governments. I didn't work hard all of my life to end up living like that. I would live there only if I couldn't afford to live in my home country. My home and all else is paid for, consumer goods are cheaper than any other first world country and often cheaper than in Thailand, and I didn't find Thailand a cheap place to live when I lived like I'm used to living.

Edited by NeverSure

Cost of living is cheaper here, better quality of life, and:

People smile without hoping for anything other than a smile back;

Haven't heard a single dog bark in three months, let alone been attacked by a pack of them;

No burning of plastic;

No loud music, caterwauling as the moon sets, or unbridled exhaust;

Haven't seen one person pick their nose. Nope, not even the person preparing my food ...

Were there good things about my time in Thailand? Sure, but no where near enough to consider living there any longer, let alone dying there.

My wife is joining me in April. We have a bucket list in the first month that includes:

The Grand Canyon- camping and rafting;

Absolutely no way I would consider wasting another precious day of life in LOS.

Yeah but,

We're all here for the same thing, gettin' yourself a 'takehome' is cheating.

You haven't really left, until you've left the women behind.

bahaha yes that's a good point

Sadly this is the majority of foreigners moving and visiting here. Booze seems to control their brains and then they get involved with hookers for a girlfriend or wife. This shows a serious lack of common sense and brain power. Yet they keep arriving here by the plane loads. Make no effort to learn Thai, eat anything Thai, hang with their bar buddies and try to copy where they left. Low profile good luck on that. Most Thais know them because they are unable to stay out of trouble.

I met lot of guys here in Thailand, who have lost all. 100% of their sad story involved a Thai woman.
here you need money and a brain. then you need to keep a low profile, avoid investing, business....

don,t want to make a mistake ? Don,t make the same mistake as 99.999 % of other foreigners make. (1) Spending the remainder of their life in a bar with total losers. (2) Dating and marrying a hooker. (3) Trying to copy the country they left. (4) Never learning to even count to five in Thai.

living in Thailand is not for everybody. a lot of people, especially those who have no experience living abroad, can't cope with the many differences and problems they encounter when compared to their home country. i wouldn't be able to cope even though i have lived and worked in much sh*ttier environments and under worse conditions, e.g. African bush, Arabian deserts and Bangla Desh swamps.

although mileages vary, for me the basis to live a happy and content life was to create our very own environment and that is our home. actually i don't live in Thailand. for me Thailand is far away and its problems are handled by people who's job is to handle problems. once in a while i visit Thailand in form of a "drive-through" e.g. when i see my cardiologist, my dentist or do some shopping for culinary specialities.

I'm amazed anyone could find that much stuff they actually want in 7-11.

bottled water goes for the bulk of the first 1000, then snacks, plastic tray meals, milk, icecream, toasted stuff, assorted drinks, etc soon add up

buy water from a cheaper place? couldn't be bothered carrying it when 7-11 is 50 meters away. some people prefer to spend more on rent, booze, petrol, taxis, etc. i prefer to spend more on water

I buy my water from a cheaper place, and I don't have to carry it home. Who wants to get all sweaty lugging heavy bottles of water around?

don,t want to make a mistake ? Don,t make the same mistake as 99.999 % of other foreigners make. (1) Spending the remainder of their life in a bar with total losers. (2) Dating and marrying a hooker. (3) Trying to copy the country they left. (4) Never learning to even count to five in Thai.

5555 ?. How is my Thai so far???

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Used to.

Glad I woke up and left. If I was single maybe I could have done it, but parental responsibility meant I was honor bound to leave.

Good for you and your family, but please don't look down on those who feel Thailand is a better place to raise a child.

You didn't ask me, but I'll tell you my reasons. I moved to Thailand on a one year retirement extension after visiting as a tourist a number of times. I wasn't sure about the move so I didn't sell out in the USA. I kept my home, left my cars in the garage with float chargers on the batteries and left all of the utilities on. I knew someone who would go by regularly and check on the house including the work of the housekeeper and landscaper.

By the time not quite one year was up I'd had enough, got on an airplane and came "home." Others strongly disagree but I find Thailand great only for a vacation of at most 2 or 3 months. Then I really want to get back to a clean, sane first world environment where I can even drink the tap water, trust restaurant food and I don't see any litter, ever. I don't smell foul odors and drivers and roads are sensible.

Also, I'm not a guest in my country. I have a right to be here with rule of law and first world police and government.

I speak the language as does everyone else. I have no interest in learning Thai at my age and frankly, I'm not sure I could learn it. Things like that are best learned by young people. I'm somewhat hearing impaired in the upper tone ranges and that's where most Thais speak, with a sort of "sing song" pattern.

I find Thailand to be interesting and enjoyable for a while, but in reality it is a dirty, polluted, smelly, littered place populated by corrupt police and governments. I didn't work hard all of my life to end up living like that. I would live there only if I couldn't afford to live in my home country. My home and all else is paid for, consumer goods are cheaper than any other first world country and often cheaper than in Thailand, and I didn't find Thailand a cheap place to live when I lived like I'm used to living.

I think you missed a few reason for not 'loving the culture' and not wanting to stay for ever:

Appalling and dangerous driving standards

Noise pollution from barking dogs and idiots playing music, actually PA equipment as home hi fi at all hours

Idiotic customer service eg looking at an item for 10 mins being 'looked after' by sales assistant who then tells you mai mee when you decide on it, same with second selection etc. OK it's a laugh at first but wears thin.

Even more idiotic service in Banks where the rules vary from one branch to another

Child like censoring of tv and films and pointless booze sale time restrictions

The Thai xenophobia and nationalistic brainwashing along with the sub standard education system, if you have kids.

Permanent alien status with immigration if retired

Not easy to own property or land

moronic TV

Last but not least moody argumentative shallow minded women who think they are owed the world for little in return

Edited by jacky54

Because my American wife, who was a fine woman, was killed by a drunk driver.

A month later I put in for my vested pension, sold everything, and began traveling.

was the drunk driver you, or another feminazi?

not good enough. you still have a thai wife now that you know the difference.

You truly are a sad, bitter, unpleasant person.

But I'm man enough to deal with such an immature and socially maladroit post, it allows all the other members to see what kind of "man" you really are.

Cost of living is cheaper here,

Huh????

It is for me, to live a Western lifestyle. I don't want to live "like a Thai."

i live a much better "western" style in Thailand than anywhere else in the "west".

reason: no IRS claws in my pocket smile.png

disclaimer: my wife disagrees and would rather prefer to live in the "west".

How do you get around the IRS not being in your pocket. The IRS charges you income tax regardless of where you live if you are a US citizen.

most of my friends are Thai. How did i get them? I learned to speak Thai and i don,t tend to hang with foreigners. If i do they think much like myself and avoid the majority of other foreigners. The easiest way to adapt is living with them. If i wanted to live with foreigners i would just stay home. I did not move to Thailand to live with foreigners. I think it is called Thailand for a reason.

No plans to return to my homeland ever. Why ? Police state, nasty women, shallow, crap food, expensive rent, Obamacare ,what a joke, work until you drop dead for what. Never understood foreigners that move here bitch and moan about the Thais, never learn to speak Thai, eat expensive foreign food, have bar girls for girlfriends or a wife, drink non stop , hang with other foreigners in bars, never bother to learn about the Thai culture Do's and Don;ts and overall treat the Thais like crap and wonder why they have non stop problems. Ban Huay Yang in southern Thailand is a fine example of foreigners that live in a fortress with high walls to keep out the evil Thais, walk around with a scowl non stop like they have a stick up their butts and are some of the most unhappy looking foreigners i have seen in all my travels. If you hate it here so much LEAVE ! More room for myself and wife. Never had much of any problems with the Thais OUTSIDE of the tourists slums. I love it here, enjoy the Thais, Thai food and basically everything. So why leave.

I agree with pretty much everything except the 'thais' part.

Where do you get them coz I haven't had any permanent 'friends' here and I tried..

I keep myself to myself these days and a handful of farang friends.

Overall, you can live pretty cheap here but you have to be determined and not whine...I grew up in a farm so no hardship for me here.

For people who are spending more than 1000$ here ...I would prefer some place else if I had an income like that.

Private schools????

What are you people smoking?

If my kids cannot hack it in govt schools....goodmorning plumbing.

End of story