Mae Sot's economic pull gets stronger

Thaivisa News

Mae Sot: – Tak’s border town is geared to become a special economic zone and major retailers are developing community malls to tap into the lucrative spending of local consumers and those from Myanmar.

“The economy of Mae Sot has been booming and enjoying high and sustainable growth for the past four years, hence the Central Retail Corporation has invested to construct 54,000-square meterlifestyle centre,” PrachachatTurakij quoted a CRC executive as saying.

The CRC construction project is expected to complete by this year and Robinson Department Store is slated to become a major magnate of the new community mall.

The mall is to locate opposite Central Group’s Centara Mae Sot Hill Resort.

JariyaChirathivat, chairwoman of Thai Retailers Association, said the investment to develop shopping malls in border towns like Mae Sot is expected to boost the growth of the country’s retail market.

Owing to the development of special economic zones along the country’s borders, the share of retail earnings from upcountry markets would increase from 65 per cent to 72 per cent by 2017, Jariya said.

Bangkok’s retail trade is presently accounted for 35 per cent of the market.

The border shopping malls would serve to attract consumers from neighbouring countries as well as become the springboard for expansion across the border.

In addition to CRC investment in Mae Sot, Tesco Lotus has increased its presence by upgrading its hypermarket into the Extra format, a largest and most comprehensive outlet.

MBK is planning to make joint investment with Mae Sot partners to construct 10,000-square meter shopping mall.

Last year, Makro opened its first outlet in Mae Sot.

Mae Sot is a lovely town with a lot of character. I fear attention from Central and the like will result in it becoming just another bland 'could be anywhere in Thailand' town. I hope I am wrong.

Sadly I think you are right. The carpetbaggers are coming no doubt about it.