Dress respectfully if attending the Phuket Immigration Office

I personally have no desire to see those muscle shirts or wife-beater T-shirts that some people wear that show people's armpits. But I would think a decent pair of shorts and a polo shirt with a collar should be allowed. Gosh it is the tropics and it is hot and humid on Phuket.

• Like 1

"There are big signs outside the office with pictorial representations of dress which is unacceptable."

Might be helpful if someone could post on here photos of these pictorial representations so we can see exactly what is deemed unacceptable - assuming, of course, that these wouldn't contravene forum rules on decency!biggrin.png

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

Time to break the code for you:

Having to see a 125 Kilo woman waddling around in a miniskirt with her gigantic gelatinous boos waving about is offensive. It is as though we are seeing several pigs stuffed in a sack and struggling to escape every time she takes a step.

Having to confront a large fat man who has not showered recently, with his horrid beer belly hanging out is offensive.

Not just in Thailand ... everywhere.

One will learn that a 45 kilo woman, 28 year old and in great shape, can wear pretty much any skirt, and no one will complain much.

The rule is simple, if you would not wear it at home to go to an office, do not wear it here.

Yesterday we visited a local private school, where our niece worked, to see the children on sports day.

They had a number of very young girls - think five and six years old - dressed in very fancy dance outfits, and each child had on full makeup and they were performing together as cheerleaders. I thought the whole thing pretty weird.

Then as we were leaving I noticed a sign over one of entrance doors, in English; telling us to dress correctly before entering.

A neighbor lady was talking to my wife and pointed out that another lady, even though married to a falang, often dressed as if she was one of those people who collect cans and bottles out of rubbish bins. She said it with great disdain.

And now the fashion police at immigration.

I remember the saying that always bugged me when I was in the military - if you look good, you are good.

I think that perhaps people should consider the content of one's character vs. how they are dressed, whether or not they are while skinned or the length of their hair. But then again, if that were true we would not automatically be pigeon holed as falangs.

Reaching conclusions about the quality of a person based on how he/she is dressed is a bit too 1950s IMO.

Edited by SpokaneAl
  • Like 2

This is not new. Years ago, people were asked to leave if not respectfully attired. Seems to have been relaxed a bit by the '90s, to the point of ridiculousness present day.

It behooves one to dress appropriately, especially when you need their help...

• Like 1

"It is after all a major government office where you are dealing with officers of the realm and government employees. It is only fair and reasonable to be expected to dress moderately and respectively."

This is very common in the Philippines to have dress codes in Government offices, including Immigration

• Like 2