Graft buster asks Finance to sue Yingluck for 600 billion baht compensation

Lite Beer

Graft buster asks Finance to sue Yingluck for 600 billion baht compensation

2-17-2015-8-23-23-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) has resolved to ask the Finance Ministry to file a damage suit against former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra to demand 600 billion baht compensation for loss caused to the state by her controversial rice pledging scheme.

NACC chairman Panthep Klanarongran revealed today that the NACC would send official request to the Finance Ministry to pursue civil case against Ms Yingluck for dereliction of duty when she failed to stop her rice-pledging scheme after she was warned of the enormous damage to be caused by the rice pledging scheme.

The compensation amount was in line with earlier figure released by the Finance Ministry that the rice scheme has caused.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/graft-buster-asks-finance-sue-yingluck-600-billion-baht-compensation

tvn.png
-- 2015-02-17

• Like 1

I am all for bringing the scheme's movers and shakers to account. But as is, the charges against Yingluck are yet to be proven in an impartial way & surely that should precede lawsuits in the hundreds of billions.

Incidentally I think she did an appalling job as (puppet) PM and does deserve a harsh punishment for the damage her incompetence (undoubted) and negligence (likely) caused to the country.

But in all seriousness this suit is ridiculous. It couldn't like anything less like a witch hunt if it tried.

Put all her assets as surety for bail so that she can't flee the country and do a proper job of trying her FAIRLY for the alleged crimes in a timely manner. As is it's a farce, and people who have been wronged have suffered enough. There needs to be swift action on these matters imho

As with any law suit for monetary damages you always ask for the max and get quite a bit less. Maybe 10%. The only problem is that they will be lucky if they get any money from her accounts since I read a couple days ago that she has already started to move her money outside of Thailand. At the most they may be able to claim her assets If they win the case.

So although they are trying to make her compensate for All of the losses that scheme incurred they will only get a pittance in comparison.

Edited by thesetat2013
  • Like 2

Well, this is going to set the most ludicrous precedent ever known.

She hasnt' even been found guilty in a court of law yet, and then what type of court of law is this going to be anyway.

Sounds very exciting, but suing politicians for losses like this is absolutely ridiculous.

'Well, this is going to set the most ludicrous precedent ever known'....

Do you know what hyperbole is? Your pronouncements are becoming increasingly ridiculous. Tone it down!

• Like 2

It takes a special kind of idiot to be so idiotic as to stand out for idiocy amongst the current bunch of idiots running the show.

Maybe NACC should be looking into Mr Panthep Klanarongranthe own financial situation like, unusual wealth, or any land transfers etc. People who throw stones.

What a ridiculous request to make from a man in his position. 600 billion compensation, what a dip stick.

• Like 2

I hope they go through with it and set a precedent, this is one of the few ways to hurt corrupt politicians to take their money. The claim itself is of course quite high.. but if this turns in to regular practice a lot of corrupt officials will run scared. Too bad the redsighted forum users wont see it like that.

If this starts to happen more often.. its the only deterrent there is against corruption. and we need to start somewhere. I hope they go after the guy with the fake G2G deals too.

Only problem here is that its not a cut and dry corruption case but more a case where they wanted to buy votes and not put it in the budget so it was deliberate and a crime in most countries (its not legal to do things of budget and not factor in cost as they are known and hiding it....... ) They did this to buy votes and stay in power without it they would probably not have had the votes they got. This allowed them to stay in power and enrich themselves on other projects.

So not all that cut and dry.

I am all for bringing the scheme's movers and shakers to account. But as is, the charges against Yingluck are yet to be proven in an impartial way & surely that should precede lawsuits in the hundreds of billions.

Incidentally I think she did an appalling job as (puppet) PM and does deserve a harsh punishment for the damage her incompetence (undoubted) and negligence (likely) caused to the country.

But in all seriousness this suit is ridiculous. It couldn't like anything less like a witch hunt if it tried.

Put all her assets as surety for bail so that she can't flee the country and do a proper job of trying her FAIRLY for the alleged crimes in a timely manner. As is it's a farce, and people who have been wronged have suffered enough. There needs to be swift action on these matters imho

As with any law suit for monetary damages you always ask for the max and get quite a bit less. Maybe 10%. The only problem is that they will be lucky if they get any money from her accounts since I read a couple days ago that she has already started to move her money outside of Thailand. At the most they may be able to claim her assets If they win the case.

So although they are trying to make her compensate for All of the losses that scheme incurred they will only get a pittance in comparison.

The over a dozen suitcases she brought with her on her overseas trips since last year?

Does anyone know how much the former Bank of Thailand governor has to repay? The chap who was ordered by the then government to do what was needed to support the Baht / US$ peg, and who promptly spent all Thai foreign reserves in defending the Thai Baht.

I don't think the people who ordered the BoT governor around were ever charged though. Makes me wonder if the former Yingluck Minister of commerce is a bit of a similar scapegoat.

• Like 1

'Dereliction of duty' doesn't apply to politics as it is all a matter of political opinion and is therefore a meaningless charge.

Not all government policies work. To prosecute individual government representatives over policies that don't work is neither logical nor legal. The electorate who voted them in is responsible, and you can't prosecute the people.

The people themselves need to judge on issues like this, and the mechanism for that is an election.

This is just dumb. Voters have some limited say in choosing policies indirectly by supporting one or another political parties, they may not approve of all the policies of that party, but they can make the least worst choice, but enough about the inadequacy of the mechanism for voters to choose policies.

Yingluck was responsible for executing the policy, the claim made is that her dereliction of duty cost 600 billion baht in losses, if they can prove it then apparently as the person responsible for executing the policy she is liable for that amount. I cant see what is particularly wrong with it.

Not sure how they can prove that legally, but having 600 billion baht in rice unsold and deteriorating in warehouses all over the country is certainly looks like dereliction of duty to me.

Edited by longway

As to be fair *MR. SUTHEP* need to be charge billions for his actions and unlawful damaging public authorities. How many millions he have left from people donation???. When he realized the huge number of tourists dropped down still he stand for the ''whole thais'' except his people for a new Primes Minister instead of election ''as the name of HIS democracy''. His influence strong enough to make a lame duck politics(Ying-Lak) and enorm damaging of tourists incomes to thai country, especially less fa-rang travel to Thailand. As I talked with many Thais, they dislike ''Mr. Suthep''.

well if they can get even 1% back, that will make some general happy and maybe enough reasons to retire and eventually call for elections ?

thai style

... that should make the Finance Ministry happy as less reservations are needed in the National Budget. As it is for the coming seven years, each budget requires a 107 billion Baht reservation to pay back the BAAC. That type of money could have been used for economy stimulation, deficit reduction, etc., etc.