Thai gf pregnant and want to take her to Australia

Hi,

I was thinking about going back to Australia for a 2 year contract and now just found out my girlfriend is pregnant.

I would rather her come with me and have the baby in Australia now.

So what are my options and processes? I have googled it and can not find the right answer, so hoping someone here has gone through it.

Can a fast visa be done for te circumstances?

I read another way was get her on a tourist visa as after the 3 months they won't let we fly as it's dangerous to fly being that far gone. But I prefer to go through the correct channels. Any ideas and how much it will cost?

Theres no fast way, alot of us have been waiting 8.5 months ;)

Being pregnant,it will be difficult getting her a visa, as proving youll leave australia is impossible after 3 months.

They have no sympathy & they will put her on the plane unfortunately.

Any permanent visa will take 9-10mnths to come through.

Tourist visa: youll get 3-6 months, then she will need to leave.

• Like 1

My Thai GF got a 6 month visa but a medical was required as a standard step doubtful approval will be given when the doctor reports the pregnancy. That leaves the. 3 months visa which are always stamped as no extensions possible. Larz is spot on - no shortcuts available.

• Like 2

Getting into Australia is one thing, getting there and having access to medical care is another.

She can take out private insurance, but won't meet the qualifying period for obstetrics. So you'll have to have the baby under medicare (or pay crazy amounts). But to get access to medicare she'll need a substantiated visa. That requires X-rays for TB etc, and she can't do that (strongly not recommended) while pregnant.

My now wife and i went through the same thing, I wanted to bring her out for 3 mths although she wasn't showing we ticked the pregnant box on the visa form therefor our visa was rejected.

Our only option was for her to have the TB and X-ray tests done and as Jasun alluded to that can cause a miscarriage so that was never going to be an option.

It's a grey area as the Australian Immigration's reasoning was that if she needs medical treatment in Australia its more or less a burden and a cost that the government dont want to cover.

In our case my wife would have been back in thailand by her 3-4th month of pregnancy and at worst any doctors appointments would have been covered by myself.

My advice to you is simply dont tick the pregnant box and you'll have her in Australia.

The OP asked about costs. For a permanent visa based on marriage or a de facto relationship, the application charge is A$4,630. This covers both the initial provisional visa (Subclass 309) and the subsequent conversion to a permanent migrant visa (Subclass 100) after ~2 years. A visitor visa (Subclass 600) costs A$130.

• Like 2

Do you your wife and child intend to settle in Thailand? If yes then the child would be better off born in Thailand, it will have Thai and Aust residency, two passports, if born in Aus then there will be only one passport and you will have double the visa hassle.

Do you your wife and child intend to settle in Thailand? If yes then the child would be better off born in Thailand, it will have Thai and Aust residency, two passports, if born in Aus then there will be only one passport and you will have double the visa hassle.

As the child will have a Thai parent, he/she will have Thai nationality regardless of where he/she is born.

• Like 1

Let her have the baby in thailand.Then get your own DNA test done.Dont tell her.If your child.Get 2 birth certificates in bangkok.Australian consul for your side.If you are not married.Then you and your girlfreind.Have to register that you are the father,This is totaly seperate from birty certificates . under thai law you are not the father.because not married.Then you can get a passport and visa for child.

It sounds to me that you have received a lot of good advise from many. The only thing I would add is from my own experience. Depending on your individual situation it may or may not be an easy task to get your GF a visa.

There are several factors that are considered such as age of both you and your GF, financial, ties back to Thailand, etc... Some country will try and prevent from having any responsibility placed on them. In other words, they are not looking for any potential burden placed upon them for things such as social services.

Speaking in the future, if you plan on living in Thailand long term in the future I would consider having the child birth here in Thailand. You can always get dual status (Thai and your home country). If your GF has family, it's likely they will be helpful with the new born.

When applying for the visa, the authorities can review your request in different ways. What I mean to say is, it is possible that by saying your GF is pregnant could cause you more challenges to get her a visa. On the flip side, it may be better not to tell them.

I'm not claiming to be an expert. Im only raising the issue because I know of others that if the authorities knew ahead of time that they were pregnant they would not have issued them a visa. Maybe there are others on TV that have experience with this and can provide some guidance.

Some time I've heard that country governments try to avoid any extra burden placed on them because once the child is born in that county, the government of that country may be obligated in someway to have potential responsibility for some social services if something were to occur.

Sorry I couldn't offer more advise. Good luck!

As the child will have a Thai parent, he/she will have Thai nationality regardless of where he/she is born.

That is not what I was told by one official. They said that just because a child is born in another country does not automatically afford them guaranteed citizen status of their home country. For example: in America, you have to provide them with information such as the dates you were present in The USA. If you've been out of your home country and haven't lived there and if you have no registration there and have not been there for xx period of time, then it's possible that you haven't met their criteria for automatic citizen status. If you go to your embassy here in Thailand you can pose this question on one of the officials there.

KamnanT is correct about if the child is born in Australia and one or both parents are Thai citizens, the child can obtain Thai citizenship easily without even going to Thailand.

The process is pretty easy, here it is from the Thai Embassy in Australians website. http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/doc/form/BIRTH.pdf

and here for reference that it can be done http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/doc/info/info_migration.pdf

Works the same the other way to children born to Australian citizens.

Edited by Surin13
  • Like 1

Many years ago i had a boarding house in Sydney that was a women's only house.

One lady wanted to stay at my house but at that time it was full, i helped her get a

room in my neighbors home, this lady was from Colombia, some years later i meet

the neighbor who helped this lady, the neighbor tells me the Colombian lady was so

desperate to stay in Australia that she got herself pregnant to stay in the country,

upon the birth of the child she was deported back to Colombia, she was given a

choice to take or leave the child (as the child has citizenship or could be adopted)

They both left,, this government shows no mercy.

One lady wanted to stay at my house but at that time it was full, i helped her get a

the neighbor who helped this lady, the neighbor tells me the Colombian lady was so

desperate to stay in Australia that she got herself pregnant to stay in the country,

choice to take or leave the child (as the child has citizenship or could be adopted)

With all due respect, I find this hard to believe and this person was pi55ing in your pocket.

If this is true there is more to the story than what you were told.

How does one get herself pregnant?? Hmmm... and if this was true for reason only to remain in the country [which is highly possible] it would have been very difficult to prove.

Too bad, the kid has a rights, the father has rights.. as I said, on the surface I find this hard to believe.

Edited by Straight8

Let her have the baby in thailand.Then get your own DNA test done.Dont tell her.If your child.Get 2 birth certificates in bangkok.Australian consul for your side.If you are not married.Then you and your girlfreind.Have to register that you are the father,This is totaly seperate from birty certificates . under thai law you are not the father.because not married.Then you can get a passport and visa for child.

I understand in Thailand the child not legit for daddy even with his dads name on birth cert...

good idea to get it all legitimized if baby born in Thailand ...But why not tell her? GF about this test???

I am in the process of getting my child he of unwed parents a USA passport...

At birth registration interview all went well easy process till at the very end when the woman behind the glass mentioned since born out of wedlok it is REQUIRED dad and child need DNA test, Nothing about this requirement on the instruction forms just one sentance mentioning sometimes the DNA test is asked for in certain cases. nothing about a requirement for unwed parents as we were told,

anyways..The DNA test very easy and told interview lady sure we go Bumrungrad Hospitial tomorrow get test no worries.....WRONG...

Not sure about Aussie Embassey....

But USA requires The DNA test to be done using an aproved DNA lab in USA 650 USD for two test kits mailed DHL back and fourth between Thaiand and usa before you get the results.

The test are done only at the USA embassey in BKK with there doctors and testing times vary only done on Thursdays during the month...Doctor fee for test is 4200 thb for each person tested.

We have been mucking around with this since our October 2014 birth report interview...We now have set apointment early March for DNA test then kits sent to USA and results forward to embassey then we get passport....done deal..but cost for air fares from Phuket hotels test kits and embassey fees well over 45K thb..so far

Hopfully we can use this completed DNA test result to get legitimize paper in Thailand as well... but I think it cost 10k thb to get stamped official for Thailand.....

or

You could just marry the girl tomorrow and your parent legitamicy is automatic when your bundle of joy arrives....best option i think...

I have had two children born here in Thailand and two children born in USA,

the hospitial care was tremedous in Tailand compared to the USA factory type birth (in and out as fast as possible) and price in Thailand reasonable as well

Child born in Thailand is the way to go....GOOD LUCK

Edited by glassdude007

Met a young Thai husband & wife in Perth last year, both were on study visas and had a child born in Perth during their time there. When I met them they were getting ready to depart for Bangkok, their study visas were finished and they had to depart the country. They told me they were sad to leave Australia and wanted to remain but could not. I asked that as their kid is an Aussie citizen can't they find a way to remain. They told me the kid is not an Aussie citizen, the kid could not qualify for citizenship due to the parents not having citizenship, so the kid was registered Thai through the Thai Embassy.

Met a young Thai husband & wife in Perth last year, both were on study visas and had a child born in Perth during their time there. When I met them they were getting ready to depart for Bangkok, their study visas were finished and they had to depart the country. They told me they were sad to leave Australia and wanted to remain but could not. I asked that as their kid is an Aussie citizen can't they find a way to remain. They told me the kid is not an Aussie citizen, the kid could not qualify for citizenship due to the parents not having citizenship, so the kid was registered Thai through the Thai Embassy.

Of course! You can only become citizen when one if the parents is a citizen... Thats not new!

KamnanT is correct about if the child is born in Australia and one or both parents are Thai citizens, the child can obtain Thai citizenship easily without even going to Thailand.

The process is pretty easy, here it is from the Thai Embassy in Australians website. http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/doc/form/BIRTH.pdf

and here for reference that it can be done http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/doc/info/info_migration.pdf

Works the same the other way to children born to Australian citizens.

There are only two people who know their shit on this subject.

This reply is one and also read Larz2013's comments.

The rest are mostely just rubbish.

My now wife and i went through the same thing, I wanted to bring her out for 3 mths although she wasn't showing we ticked the pregnant box on the visa form therefor our visa was rejected.

Our only option was for her to have the TB and X-ray tests done and as Jasun alluded to that can cause a miscarriage so that was never going to be an option.

It's a grey area as the Australian Immigration's reasoning was that if she needs medical treatment in Australia its more or less a burden and a cost that the government dont want to cover.

In our case my wife would have been back in thailand by her 3-4th month of pregnancy and at worst any doctors appointments would have been covered by myself.

My advice to you is simply dont tick the pregnant box and you'll have her in Australia.

If your wife doesn't or didn't have Medicare it's not a burden to Australia really because you pay from your own pocket.

We went through until she was 7 months pregnant and it cost maybe 2 thousand.

Getting into Australia is one thing, getting there and having access to medical care is another.

She can take out private insurance, but won't meet the qualifying period for obstetrics. So you'll have to have the baby under medicare (or pay crazy amounts). But to get access to medicare she'll need a substantiated visa. That requires X-rays for TB etc, and she can't do that (strongly not recommended) while pregnant.

Not crazy amount at all. Quite cheap actually.