How To Make Vodka?

pipchatel

There is a big difference between 'brewing' and 'distilling'.

To make rice wine, beer, grape-based wines and anythig with up to 14%-15% alcohol in it, you only need to put the ingredients in a large covered container with an air-lock valve on it (to allow generated CO2 out, but not allow air in). This can be filtered, bottled and drunk as-is.

Distilling requires a temperature controlled still, condenser. It produces near-pure alcohol which will need cutting by about 50% to make it drinkable. And then a filter.

For home-brewers it is best to stick to the former, which may make ou sick, may give you a hangover, may give the house a nasty smell. But incorrect distillation can kill. I know of two weddings in Pakistan where illicit liquor was served, each resulting in over 100 deaths. (This was in mid-nineties, soon after the ban on alcohol in Pakistan)

Tutsi - rice works just as well as potatoes - and is much more available. :o

aaaaaa...don't know where you're coming from, dude...I'm talking about 'supermarket' vodka like Kermanoff at 230 baht per...sorta like what one gets from Safeway in Cleveland, Ohio...dig my drift? Whatever you like to drink ain't nothin' I'm interested in...

well - ejoy urself then by drinking whatu ARE interested in ! :o

although Kermanoff, Smirnoff etc... never recognised as authentic brands.... :D

never mind though, coz I was talking about real vodka....

They make this stuff down in Brazil called "Cacahsa" out of sugarcane and it's not too bad if distilled enough. In fact, the Brazilians have concocted a drink made with Cacahsa, lime juice, sugar & touch of Vodka called a "Caipiriena".

Excellent after dinner drink...

Check out Home Distiller . I think that everything you need to know is here.

The Beer Prayer

Our Lager,

Which art in barrels,

Hallowed be thy drink.

Thy will be drunk, (I will be drunk),

At home as it is in the pub.

Give us this day our foamy head,

And forgive us our spillages,

As we forgive those who spill against us,

And lead us not into incarceration,

But deliver us from hangovers.

In the name of the bitter, the lager, and the pale ale...

Barmen....

A wonderfull selection of replies and sorry to let you all down, but left it too late. Next year I will be ready. We got over 27 tons of spuds away, and just had all these left overs, but they turned nasty qiuck. Take it easy Pip

I asked my Doctor if I didnt drink, would I live longer?

He Said " No, It will only seem longer" :o

Bye

• 5 years later...

Hi Pip,

Sorry to hear you left it too late. Maybe next year if you get in early though eh!

Anyway, here's the recipe for "potato vodka" taken from : http://www.squidoo.com/How-To-Make-Potato-Vodka

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Potato Vodka Making Process

First you need to peel the potatoes, you will need around 1kg of potatoes for a litre of vodka.

Next thing is to chop the potatoes into small pieces, around 1cm cubes should be fine.

Next you will need to use a pressure cooker and put all of the potato cubes in the pot with quite a lot of water, more than enough to cover the potatoes.

Please be careful as pressure cookers are very dangerous if you dont know how to use them then ask someone who does.

Now once the potato is disolved into the water let it cool down and strain the potato leaving loads of potato juice which will become your potato vodka.

The next part is to distill the potato juice and get single distilled vodka. Really you need a distillery but if this is home made then you will need to make a distillery.

Not that difficult really, the basic idea is to heat the juice and capture the steam and collect it which forms your potato vodka.

So you just need to find a big pot, with a lid that connects to a pipe and a container that can collect the vodka.

Once that is complete, you can distill it a few more times using the same process and you will end up with the best and cheapest fall over juice imaginable. But I hold no responsibility for what you do with it. Remeber to drink responsibly.

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Hope this helps whever you are ready,

Falcon

Sorry Falcon but all you'll get from that process is concentrated potato juice. :D

You have to brew the resulting liquid using yeast to convert the sugars into alcohol before you then distill it into purer spirit taking care you get the right stuff or you'll go blind or worse.

You'll also need a lot more than 1 kg of potatos for 1 liter of vodka.

btw Is this legal in Thailand? :)

yeah, that's funny - what it has to do with Thailand?

and why would ne1 try to make Vodka if it is easily available?

just one hint though: the word Vodka itself is originating from word water in russian. perhaps coz it looks like a water. another version is - that it is often made just buy mixing pure spirit to certain proportion with water. but this might be a mere speculation, although I've heard such explanation few times b4.

Yes. Is making home made liquor "Moonshine", as we call it back home, legal in Thailand? My guess is no.

whew...ancient thread...since then there are two (count 'em) places that now sell vodka close to my home and the locals have discovered a new tipple!

no more trips to changwat suphanburi and no more substituting sangsom...last time I did that I got really sick...made me miss loy kratong...

these days there is a lot of Gilbeys vodka around in the rectangular bottle; distilled in PI and bottled in Thailand and I wondered how that was gonna be affected by the new excise tax...