Motorcycles at WW2 River Kwai Museum display are from another era!

rockyysdt

I recently reviewed photo snaps taken last June 2014 at the museum associated with the Bridge over the River Kwai.

Pretty impressive displays of wartime relics used by both the occupying Japanese as well as of the Allied prisoners.

There were a number of motorcycles with "JAPANESE" painted on the tanks as well as depictions of the Rising Sun flag.

Something wasn't quite right.

One display sign read: "The Motorcycle Pumper of the Japanese Army used in the World War 11 used in the Kanchanburi site'.

Strange, as this bike is a Triumph 500 parallel twin with unit construction motor, circa 1967 approx, and definitely not 1941-1945.

Also there on display is a BSA 650 parallel twin also with a unit construction engine.

These were first manufactured in 1962.

The word "disappointment" comes to mind.

After all aren't museums all about authenticity.

post-55028-0-86607000-1424236146_thumb.j

post-55028-0-45035100-1424236167_thumb.j

• Like 2

laugh.png yeah that's pretty bad. My family were visiting last week and I took them to see the bridge on the way to Erawan waterfalls and hellfire pass. Right by the entrance to the bridge was a guy selling fake CD's and he was pumping out YMCA at about 100db on his crackly setup. Quite a few comments about whether that was entirely appropriate given the history behind such a historic site facepalm.gif

Stopped for a coffee on the corner, the cafe had this bike. no idea what it is but at least it wasn't pretending to be authentic, just a cool feature for the cafe

65e926bd-08d5-40e1-815b-71aad6f6925c_zps

If you're talking about the museum right beside the bridge, for years it's had a reputation for sloppiness, shabbiness, and downright falsity. Displays inside were incoherent or obviously in error (picture of Stalin meeting Hitler at one time, and labelled as Adolf's wedding! wouldn't Uncle Joe have loved to attend that!)

So, anything outside their building or anywhere near that end of the bridge is highly suspect.

There's also a 1980's Ural 650 Motorcycle (a Russian development of a BMW R75) with a dummy of a Japanese officer astride.

These weren't made until well after the war.

The Morris Major circa 1952 is another of probably dozens of blatant inaccuracies.

Nice BSA though..

Could make a nice resto.

Edited by rockyysdt

Here's another shot of an authentic WW2 motorcycle which was never designed until the late 60's.

Urals are still made today with improvements such as FI & disc brakes, but continue to be built around the same design originating from the BMW R75.

post-55028-0-89623500-1424242076_thumb.j

Edited by rockyysdt

laugh.png yeah that's pretty bad. My family were visiting last week and I took them to see the bridge on the way to Erawan waterfalls and hellfire pass. Right by the entrance to the bridge was a guy selling fake CD's and he was pumping out YMCA at about 100db on his crackly setup. Quite a few comments about whether that was entirely appropriate given the history behind such a historic site facepalm.gif

Stopped for a coffee on the corner, the cafe had this bike. no idea what it is but at least it wasn't pretending to be authentic, just a cool feature for the cafe

I couldn't say for sure, but the styling looks very much like a Simson SR 4 made in East Germany during lat fifties early sixties.

The motor is different but all the styling cues are similar giving them a similar time period.

Example. photo by Martin Jorgel (de:Benutzer:Manatwork90)

post-55028-0-38721800-1424253982_thumb.j

Edited by rockyysdt
  • Like 1

I love Kanchanaburi province. The rivers, the hills, the twisty roads.... it's one of my favorite parts of Thailand. However the bridge, and immediate area, have never held a lot of appeal for me. I understand the historical value but it's hard to appreciate it when there's busloads of Chinese tourists pushing their way onto it and locals hawking overpriced photos and trinkets all around. Pretty funny that the museum would try that, but not surprising I guess. Who in their right mind would believe that the Japanese would write "JAPANESE" in English all over their bikes?

• Like 1

here some pics of authentic Japanese Motorcycles of WW2 ( More or less Harley Davidson copies)

attachicon.gifa_jb50.jpgattachicon.gif

Hard to tell - looks like a HD JD from the 1920'sattachicon.gif Harley JD.jpg

Type 97 motorcycles were built in Japan derived from the Harley-Davidson Road King design purchased for license production in 1932. Production began in 1933 near Tokyo, Japan with Harley-Davidson employees on-site as consultants. These military bikes proved to be so popular that their name, Rikuo ("Land King" or "Continent King"), a translation of Road King, would become the name of the Sankyo Company subsidiary spun off for production of motorcycles in 1936. They were most often seen with sidecar. These motorcycles saw front line duty in China as soon as they there introduced in 1933, and production would continue until the end of the war. After a two-year pause, the Rikuo company resumed production of motorcycles in 1947, but the heavy Type 97 design was not among those built. In 1951, under new ownership of Showa Corporation, Rikuo resumed production of the design for the civilian market.

SPECIFICATIONS

Rikuo

Machinery One 4-cycle, 1200cc, side-valve, V-twin engine rated at 28hp Crew 2 Length 2.70 m Width 1.70 m Height 1.20 m Weight 0.5 t Range 70 km

Photographs

tmb_vehicle_type97motorcycle14.jpg tmb_vehicle_type97motorcycle15.jpg tmb_vehicle_type97motorcycle2.jpg tmb_vehicle_type97motorcycle10.jpg

What Honda, Kawasaki, suziki, Yamaha not around then.coffee1.gif

these bikes mentioned are not around us either part from Harley but they are nto aroudn me anyway. most of them are not produced and maker went bankrupt etc.

it is all about who stays in the business at the end.

Been to the area, walked over the bridge, walked by the hell fire pass. SADNESS, seems to follow.

What I do find interesting about motorcycle, military style.. are the side cars, and the adaptations made for weapon systems.. even if it has the old bamboo lance technology.