Strict 3-Year Limit for Thai Language Study on ED Visa?

If you are going to school part time then you shouldnt get a education visa. Those visas should be reserved for serious students. People get engineering, law and many other degrees in 4 years. Education is just that learning. Part time students, not learning. And learning languages on a part time basis just so you can remain in a country is lame.

It's lame only in your mind restricted thinking. Fact is, it is allowed, for as much you may not like the idea..

• Like 1

Exactly what I said, those retirees aren't really tourists, etc., etc.

So we shouldn't have retirees in Thailand then?

Not on tourist VISAs.

I presume you mean a retirement visa. So what's your great suggestion for young retired people then?

If you are going to school part time then you shouldnt get a education visa. Those visas should be reserved for serious students. People get engineering, law and many other degrees in 4 years. Education is just that learning. Part time students, not learning. And learning languages on a part time basis just so you can remain in a country is lame.

This is a very tired debate on here, and I think all arguments have been presented many times over. I will say this: I'm not studying Thai just so I can remain in the country. I'm studying Thai because I want to remain in the country, and I think it's respectful, as well as practical, to speak the language of the country in which one resides, rather than expecting the people of said country to speak to one in one's own native language. Even if I end up on another type of visa, I will continue my Thai studies. Being forced to study another language that I don't need to learn in order to stay here would be lame. The fact that there's no other type of visa for someone under the age of 50 in my situation is lame. Also, as I said, I read, write, and speak Thai, which I could not do before I came here. How is that not learning?

• Like 1

Guess you are NOT 50 yet for old man visa or not have 800.000baht per year

Not married, and hopefully are NOT that stupid

Tell about yourself and believe that in the coming year, so many new rules will apply, so you never know.

Just do 3 times double entry tourist visa (Laos runs, or whatever) enough for 1.5 years.

NEW problems after that, because new government and new laws

I am afraid to even ask why doing such is "lame"......

The officer didn't say anything specific to me, and gave me the extension, but when I went to my school afterward, the teachers looked at my passport and said that a note had been made in it that this was my last Non-ED visa.

It would help if you posted a copy of that note the immigration office put in your passport. An immigration office has absolutely no influence about how many non-ED isas a Thai consulate gives. The teachers looking at that not seemed to be confused.

He's speaking of the official duration of the course

You have several options:

- change school

- change language/subject

- go tourist visa for a while then back as a new student

- change passport

How do you know what the stamp said.

The school "said that a note had been made in it that this was my last Non-ED visa." It could well mean last extension.

He said 3 years limit,that the duration of the official course... What else is 3 years duration?

The officer didn't say anything specific to me, and gave me the extension, but when I went to my school afterward, the teachers looked at my passport and said that a note had been made in it that this was my last Non-ED visa.

It would help if you posted a copy of that note the immigration office put in your passport. An immigration office has absolutely no influence about how many non-ED isas a Thai consulate gives. The teachers looking at that not seemed to be confused.

My school told us the same " after 3 years/18 months, the Thai course is finished, you will have to change school/visa/language/etc"

- change school

- change passport

The school "said that a note had been made in it that this was my last Non-ED visa." It could well mean last extension.

He said 3 years limit,that the duration of the official course... What else is 3 years duration?

Nobody said it was 3 years.

Most schools can only offer a 3 year course of study. There are some that can offer more advanced studies that allow 5 years.

It is not clear what the stamp actually says. If it did say ED visa it would mean he needs to go out for a new visa which is accordance with the new rules.

Immigration has no rules on how long you can study any course. The MOE sets that limit based upon the schools capabilities and qualifications.

I just spoke to my school to try to clarify. They said that the note next to my latest stamp just says "last year," referring to this being the last year I qualify for an ED visa. However, they also said that the school is now (as of last August) only officially approved to offer 3 levels/years of study, and that continuing my studies at a school that is officially approved to offer more levels/years could solve the problem. I guess it is school-dependent, and not a universal limit. I'm hoping that finding a different school that's certified to teach higher levels, provided there is one in this town, will be sufficient, and that the note in my passport won't hinder me.

Not on tourist VISAs.

Retired people can't be tourists?

if mandatory health checks for retirement extensions spreads retirees will be long stay tourists in all but name only

- change school

- change passport

Nobody said it was 3 years.

Most schools can only offer a 3 year course of study. There are some that can offer more advanced studies that allow 5 years.

It is not clear what the stamp actually says. If it did say ED visa it would mean he needs to go out for a new visa which is accordance with the new rules.

Immigration has no rules on how long you can study any course. The MOE sets that limit based upon the schools capabilities and qualifications.

I don't understand why some schools are allowed 3 years or study while others are allowed 5 years. Out of curiosity, which schools in BKK are allowed 5 years?

Apparently these are the latest rules on tourist visas:

Those were the new visa exempt rules almost 6 and a half years ago when they reduced the entries at border crossings to 15 days from 30.

That is a commercial website not an official one.

I'm not sure, I think it might be accurate. Here's another one from the same site, which I assume being a legal site keeps abreast of these things: http://www.thaiembassy.com/visa/thaivisa.php

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text

Apparently these are the latest rules on tourist visas:

Those were the new visa exempt rules almost 6 and a half years ago when they reduced the entries at border crossings to 15 days from 30.

That is a commercial website not an official one.

I'm not sure, I think it might be accurate. Here's another one from the same site, which I assume being a legal site keeps abreast of these things: http://www.thaiembassy.com/visa/thaivisa.php

That website cannot used to get any accurate or up to date info, It has a lot of inaccurate and misleading info and is operated by a law firm that you will notice is advertised on top of that webpage.

For official info you should go to this website. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123

Not on tourist VISAs.

Retired people go on holiday too, in fact there's loads of them around here - they come for a few months during the winter when it's cold back home.