How do I stay here? Brit 47yrs

Student visa is OK however getting the extension has become expensive, time consuming in term of required study hours, and hassling because of by immigration regulations and handling. I think for the time being you best approach is to stay on double entry visa from Laos, or triple entry from your country. You can also look at the possibility of a multiple entry student visa from you country. That would require border hops every 90 days but no other unpleasant interaction with immigration.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

Not meaning to hijack this thread but what's the alternative to a Thai elite card if wanting to stay 5 years and not of retirement age? Can it even be done and If so is the elite card more cost effective?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not meaning to hijack this thread but what's the alternative to a Thai elite card if wanting to stay 5 years and not of retirement age? Can it even be done and If so is the elite card more cost effective?

Many have stayed for years on double entry tourist visas from Laos. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/788273-is-there-any-limit-on-back-to-back-tourist-visas/

It depends on the person whether that's more cost effective, costs of flights and hotels, the value of your time, etc. For me it's about 60k baht/year in incremental payments and I don't mind the trips to Laos, so it's much more cost effective than a 500k up front lump sum for 5 years on Thai Elite, when I'm not sure if I'll be here 5 years.

There is no good alternative unless you have a work permit or get married to a Thai . But you could always apply for tourist or ED visa and pay all the fees.

Either a Student or Teacher...

Nothing really else for you...unless you get married, and have the money in the bank. I personally do not see the problem with being a student. What are you doing that would make four hours a day so disruptive? Although I have not done so in Thailand, I have done that in the Philippines. Turned out of be less than a few days a week, and many cancellations. Pretty flexible.

• Like 1

As you noticed already the only way is the Elite Card or the ED Visa right now.

Both has its advantages and disadvantages.

Elite Visa:

- One time high fee (500k THB ~10k brithish pounds)

- 5 years hassle free unlimited stay (no other visa can give you this!!)

- 90 days report at every immigration nationwide (or even per registered mail and soon online) 1900THB for every 90 days report

- Chauffeur services at Airports

- You can travel freely around the country without any limitations

- Can always leave and re-enter the country without loosing your visa

ED Visa

- Learn Thai Language!! (some fellas who lived here for decades speak lesser Thai than a student who attends class for 3-4 months)

- Meet nice people from around the world

- School fees (40-60k "per year" with group classed)

- No free travel for more then a few days

- You will probably loose your visa if you need to travel back to UK and if you come back you will have to to the whole hassle again

- Have to visits every 90 or 60 or 30 days your local immigration to do extensions of stay. This can take from 1 - 5 hours, depends on your location. This wouldn't be so bad at all if the immigration rules would not change every few months and many immigration officers wouldn't try to extort you for a few thousand baht extra about some alleged new regulations. I wrote 90,60 and 30 days because there were many student reports in this forum from the last few months which states that they didn't get the regular 90 days extension of stay. Instead they just got 60 or 30 days extension because the immigration officer was not satisfied with their language skills.

- at least after 1 year you will have to leave the country and apply for a new ED visa

If you have the 500k for the Elite Visa then I would highly recommend it to you, especially if you are new to South East Asian immigration bureaucracy. Immigration officers, mostly in expat areas like phuket, samui, pattaya, chiang mai and also in rural areas with many expats like udon thani, are tricky guys who appropriated high skills in rip of uninformed foreigners. I can assure you will have to pay more then 500k THB in the next 5 years just for your to stay with ED visas. There are so so so many hidden costs about visas in Thailand.

With the Elite Thai Visa you can also apply for a Thai language school. You also don't need to apply for 6 moths or 1 year as you have to do to get an ED visa. Just apply for a few classes and see if you like it.

Edited by SoFarAndNear

Investment visa. 10 million Baht in the bank, in bonds or invested in a new condo. Problem sorted.

(Before anyone corrects me, it's technically an extension, rather than an actual visa, "investment visa" just being common parlance.)

As mentioned, in your situation best is a tourist visa either from your country or just get double entries at Laos (60+30+60+30 days).

If I am correct you can do this 3 times in a row at the consulate in Laos/Vientiane. For you now still 2 times

That would give you about 1.3 years already.

These runs are not that expensive 9000 baht all in for a double entry visa with a agent/visa run.

Plus 1900 baht for 30 extension and 2300 for a Cambodia run for the second entry. Total 9000+1900+2300+1900 = 15100 baht per 180 days

After that cross that bridge when you get there for the remainder of the time.

Maybe you will be done traveling and then could do the ED-Visa in which ever city you settle down.

Also likely new rules and regulation for visa will have been implemented, standard regular changes in Thailand.

Edited by ronthai
  • Like 1

Well you either push your luck for a few years trying to get tourist visas in neighbouring countries/ back home.... with travel expenses

Or you go to school and dance through the ever moving hoops that entails.

500,000 Baht (Thailand Easy Access Package (2014)) may actually be competitive.

There is the investment Visa too, a cool 10 million baht investment, but if you are thinking to buy a flash condo to live in, that is acceptable. Or you could put the money into a fixed deposit account and earn some interest on it for a few years. Another alternative, buy Thai government or Thai state enterprise bonds worth at least THB 10 million. The money is still yours.

Elite Card

Edited by jacko45k

The Investment Visa option sounds interesting. But... I know there are no 100% guarantees about Thai laws and practices, but what are my odds of being able to take it back out of the country someday if I need to?

You will be able to repatriate yout money as long as you can prove you brought it into the country without a problem. There will be a few forms to fill out is all.

Even money earned here can be sent out of the country.

If you decide to go the investment extension (correct term for it) the best way to do it is to enter on a tourist visa, open a bank account and transfer the money into the country. Then with proof of the funds from the bank apply for a change of visa status at immigration to get a 90 day non immigrant visa entry. Then during the last 30 days of that entry you would apply for the one year extension of stay showing proof of the 10 million being in the bank or banks.

As you noticed already the only way is the Elite Card or the ED Visa right now.

Both has its advantages and disadvantages.

Elite Visa:

- One time high fee (500k THB ~10k brithish pounds)

- 5 years hassle free unlimited stay (no other visa can give you this!!)

- 90 days report at every immigration nationwide (or even per registered mail and soon online) 1900THB for every 90 days report

Wrong, sparky. Address/90-day reports are free for Thai Elite, the same as for every other visa with a "yearly" extension.

The online report rumor is true; the website is up, but not fully ready to go country-wide. Plus, it is currently http only, which means insecure, but perhaps that will be improved soon. Since some offices don't allow mail-in reports (i.e. Jomtien!), online will be perfect.

ED Visa

- Have to visits every 90 or 60 or 30 days your local immigration to do extensions of stay. This can take from 1 - 5 hours, depends on your location. This wouldn't be so bad at all if the immigration rules would not change every few months and many immigration officers wouldn't try to extort you for a few thousand baht extra about some alleged new regulations. I wrote 90,60 and 30 days because there were many student reports in this forum from the last few months which states that they didn't get the regular 90 days extension of stay. Instead they just got 60 or 30 days extension because the immigration officer was not satisfied with their language skills.

Actually, you now would go after 15 days, if approved, you go back at 75 days. In short, twice in your 90 day period. No extra charge for the 2nd visit; still 1900b per 90-day extension. I have also seen the proof of the "pay extra to be like before" fee, and railroaded students particularly at Chaengwattana... it is sad that the ED visa darling is no longer the charm here.

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text

There is the investment Visa too, a cool 10 million baht investment, but if you are thinking to buy a flash condo to live in, that is acceptable.

You don't have to live in the condo. It can be a rental property which might (and I say "might") give a better return than a bank deposit or bonds.

ED visa's are getting harder to keep up with, too many people abusing them, elite is the way to go if the money isn't a problem,

Do 3 months in UK and 9 months here using UK issued 3 entry tourist visa's, (£75.00 ) with 30 day local extensions( 1,900 baht) then a border hop every 90 days, (3,000 baht ish) somewhere different each time to see different places, some cheap flights uk/bkk/uk, £400 ish ( 20,000 baht ish) that way you could get travel insurance to cover your stay here for about a £1.00 a day. the time to your 50th will soon go. works out to about £ 800 (40,000 baht) a year

Edited by steve187

I dont see what is so difficult in attending a class for 2 hours a day 4 days a week.

It's not just that, is the associated cost of take or give Bt 60,000 yearly, the need to visit immigration 4-8 times a year, and travel every year for a new visa that makes it much less attractive than before.

Then regarding the Elite card, OP can decide what's the best use of Bt 500,000 in Thailand. Personally I would put that into 2 years lease of a nice place.

• Like 2

Here is my thoughts about it :

Thailand has forgotten about making an easy year visa for this group of people who are under 50 years of age and who have no intentions for learning thai language i.I hope they fix it soon.There should come a year visa that needs to be extended only every 90 days at immigration office .Rules could be that the applicant needs only show sufficient money in a bank account like 500,000 BHT so thai authorities can be assured these people is not come for some job.Also they can charge a higher fee cause it cuts of the expensive and annoying border runs.So charge 3000 / 4000 BHTevery 90 days..

If Thailand does not make it easy for long staying foreigners under 50 years of age who intend spending their money here and with no intentions to marry or study Thai then you could consider live in other countries such as Philippines and or indonesia..

Buy the way so many foreigners under 50 years of age have stopped with their study visa and have moved elsewhere...Due too tighter regulations

Im in the same situation and I get 60 day double entry tourist visas at Vientiane. You can extend each entry by 30 days which gives you 90 days per entry and so 180 days with a same day border run in the middle to activate the second entry. I have had 3 such visas consecutively from Vientiane, on the 3rd one they stamped proof of residence and finance required next time so if you provided that then I think you could get more. As it happened when it came to my 4th visa I had only 2 pages left in my passport so not enough space for the Laos visa and all the stamps to I got my 4th at Penang (you only get a single enty there though).

Once I got my new passport I went back to Vientiane (this week) and got another (my 4th) 60 day double entry there no questions asked as it was a new passport with no previous tourist visas in it.

If you choose to go to Vientiane then plan your trip so you arrive early to submit application before 12pm and then collect next day at 1:30pm. I use the 5:55am flight from Bangkok to Udon and that gives enough time to get from the airport, through immigration and to Thai consulate in Vientiane and submit your application.