How much truth to Thailand's bad reputation?

tuonsai

I find the people who live in Thailand but do nothing but complain about it an embarrassment to themselves. To think that someone could get so bitter and twisted as some of the regular commentators here is amazing to me.. as has already been said, I guess that they would complain about everything wherever they lived.

I have some great Thai friends and a very nice Thai family that I married into. Again I say, the problem is not Thai people's attitudes towards you, the problem is your attitude towards Thailand.... and everybody else!!

To the people who actually like living here- If people from your home country have a negative view of Thailand that's too bad. I have definitely encountered this myself. At the end of the day though, it's your life and if it makes you happy to visit or live in Thailand then that is what you should do smile.png

Outside looking in from USA

I tell people I just returned from Thailand and they mention ladyboys and underage hookers

It doesn't matter what I say about the music scene, the restaurants, the mammoth shopping malls, 2 hour massage for $10.00, or 45 minute taxi rides for $7.00

All they reply with is,

Ladyboys and

Underage sex

This image is permanent as it is all ages, male and female

So you're saying that "most" people in the US believes this way? If so, would that include you? What I mean is if you are one of those folks that believes Thailand is about ladyboys and underage hookers, why did you come to Thailand in the first place?

Not having a dig at you, but it would seem to me that you yourself did not have this image of Thailand, otherwise you may not have come. I find this sort of attitude to be more prevalent in Euro folks. Most Americans couldn't tell the difference between Thailand and Taiwan.

the 1st time I visited was at the prodding of a good friend who suggested a vacation away from the issues of dovirce and business, and I had promised him between wives, kids and girlfriends, I would visit when I was done with my parental responsibilities

it was the best 10 day vacation, that turned in to 6 months, so much so, that I made enough friends to return in Dec, departing Jan 11

I am one of the people who tries to tell people there is so much more,

but they truly, are not interested.

I knew there would be a lot of hookers,

I had no idea there would be an entire industry devoted to it, everywhere you look,

and as far as the ladyboys go,

I am from NYC, have no trouble spotting them,

and, have even had to ask one to let my balls go, so I can walk past, telling her/him, that I know she thinks she is a woman, but she isn't, and I can see that, and, I also dont carry a wallet so, no problem.... another lesson/gift from NYC

but make no mistake,

I came for the massages the girls and the food

I came back for the music, the massags, the girls, and the food

Fair enough. I suppose every country has some sort of reputation. At least expats in Thailand have it better than expats in Cambodia, Land of the Pedos.

I'm an expat in Cambodia in case you didn't read that, and I've heard this stereotype of this being the land of pedos from Pattaya beer louts a couple times before.

Sorry to complicate your world, but actually pedos don't come here anymore, it's well known to be no longer a destination for pedophiles. Each year a couple

who haven't read the news come here and end up being brutally ripped off by NGOs and corrupt police, or being put into one of the worst

jails in the world. I'm quite sure Thailand has a thousand times the pedo expats who already have their established networks from long ago, and you probably think

they're nice decent guys like yourself. Cambodia doesn't have that, it's not developed enough for pedophiles to live here incognito.

As for the quality of expat life, I'm really not convinced Thailand is better than here.

To the others thanks for the awsome answers, very helpful.

• Like 1

Fair enough. I suppose every country has some sort of reputation. At least expats in Thailand have it better than expats in Cambodia, Land of the Pedos.

I'm an expat in Cambodia in case you didn't read that, and I've heard this stereotype of this being the land of pedos from Pattaya beer louts a couple times before.

Sorry to complicate your world, but actually pedos don't come here anymore, it's well known to be no longer a destination for pedophiles. Each year a couple

who haven't read the news come here and end up being brutally ripped off by NGOs and corrupt police, or being put into one of the worst

jails in the world. I'm quite sure Thailand has a thousand times the pedo expats who already have their established networks from long ago, and you probably think

they're nice decent guys like yourself. Cambodia doesn't have that, it's not developed enough for pedophiles to live here incognito.

As for the quality of expat life, I'm really not convinced Thailand is better than here.

To the others thanks for the awsome answers, very helpful.

Yes, Cambodia expats are top notch.....http://www.khmer440.com/k/2013/12/7-ways-cambodia-can-solve-its-foreign-dude-problem/

I read threads like this and I start thinking "is there something wrong with me?"....or "did I miss something?".

I am very content living in Thailand. I live very well, have good friends (Thai and foreign), have a great job, great toys and enjoy my spare time doing cool stuff. Of course I get the odd frustration in Thailand, but nothing that makes me question living here. Some things more expensive or can't get? Absolutely. Some things cheaper. Sure. Are there better places in the world? No doubt.

Can't help think that the guys that have similar lives all live away from major tourism areas, and the ones that complain live in places like Pattaya, Phuket, Samui, Bangkok. They key is in the words "tourism areas".

One thing I know for sure. If I was not happy, content and felt safe, I would move elsewhere in Thailand, or another country.

It's not that hard.

• Like 2

This is the good balanced response in my view for someone who lives and works in Thailand as I have the past 7 years. I have lived and worked on every continent other than South America for the past 40 years and so can make comparisons. On the smaller daily scale, the malcontents are usually those mentioned above. If you are friendly, adaptable and can bring your chi down when things don't go your way, you'll find this a great place to live. On the macro scale you will find nationalism, ultra haters and stupid politics in every other country in the world. So depending on who YOU are, the post above gives good guidance.

Even Antarctica? And still missed South America???

I'm considering an expat assignment to Bangkok. Reading this thread only re-affirms my observations that this situation exists in Thailand as well. I have lived in Singapore for 5 years (and other Asian countries before that) and I can assure you that the local xenophobia is common elsewhere, regardless how they express it. Having said this, I have only been to various parts of Thailand numerous times on short stays (as tourist or volunteer) so obviously there is a huge difference between staying and living over an extended period of time.

Is such distrust and unhappiness among locals towards foreigners also common in business/work/corporate settings? Any idea?

Can't help think that the guys that have similar lives all live away from major tourism areas, and the ones that complain live in places like Pattaya, Phuket, Samui, Bangkok. They key is in the words "tourism areas".

I don't think that matters. From what I've read on this forum, there are just as many if not more insufferable whingers living in non-tourist areas of the country.

I'm considering an expat assignment to Bangkok. Reading this thread only re-affirms my observations that this situation exists in Thailand as well. I have lived in Singapore for 5 years (and other Asian countries before that) and I can assure you that the local xenophobia is common elsewhere, regardless how they express it. Having said this, I have only been to various parts of Thailand numerous times on short stays (as tourist or volunteer) so obviously there is a huge difference between staying and living over an extended period of time.

Is such distrust and unhappiness among locals towards foreigners also common in business/work/corporate settings? Any idea?

You're asking a question about something that really doesn't exist. But if you're the kind of person who brings hate and contempt onto himself, then you will certainly see this "distrust and unhappiness" that you speak of, pretty much everywhere you go.

I have lived in Thailand almost 10 years, the first 2 and a half in Bangkok, then upcountry in Surin for 9 months, back to Bangkok for a year, then in Jomtien Beach almost 6 years. It has definitely changed since I first came here. there are many Thais that do not like us being here. They love our money, but not our us! .. but that is not true of all Thais. I felt the most animosity upcountry.

The big change seems to be in policies of the Thai Immigration Department. They have clamped down on visa alternatives. You used to be able to do border runs to renew your tourist visa, every 30 days ad infinitum, ... but then they changed that to three times then a mandatory 90 day exclusion from the country, .. then they changed the renewal period to just 15 days! Meanwhile, they are welcoming Russians and Chinese. Now, hoards of them are here, but they do olt respect Thai culture, customs, food or religion, ...which amazes me because Westerners do show respect but are not as welcome as before!

You will never see a Russian or Chinese anywhere but the beach resort towns, but you can find westerners in every part of the country!

The Thai Baht is supported to stay high in value, which also makes no sense to me. It makes their exports more expensive on the world market. Thailand used to be the number one exporter of rice. Now, it is number 3!! It also makes vacationing here much more expensive, ..another reason why there are fewer people like me here now!

So, a drop in the welcome we receive ... the influx of masses of Russians and Chinese and a strong baht are all reasons why there are fewer of us here now!

Never goet into a dispute with a Thai. You will lose! Whether in court, at the police station or on the street. There is no sense of fair play .... if you get into a physical altercation, you will be battered and beaten by several guys, all using some sort of weapon!

I would leave if I could, but I lost my life savings being kind and caring to my ex Thai wife and her family. They were great as long as I had money and lots of it was going to them, .. .but as soon as my money was gone, I was discarded like garbage! Now, my small pension does not allow me to do much of anyhing other than live day to day and hope I do noy get ill or injured because I can not even afford medical insurance.

Sorry to hear about your financial misfortune. But this is the best description of an average Thai. They are great while milking lasts.

Once they drag you down to below their financial level, they may even help you (give you and that stray dog a handful of rice or maybe

even let you build a bamboo hut on their unused land). But, like they say, don't feel bad, it's not because you're farang. They do the

same to other Thais, if they can. It's just Thai culture.

As for westerners v.s. Russians/Chinese, it's westerners who have been coming to Thailand for 40-50 years and blatantly abusing

immigration laws (overstays, border runs, illegally working, etc). It's precisely because of westerners' abuse that the laws have been

continuously tighened. Russians/Chinese influx is relatively new phenomenon and Thai attitude towards foreigners was not shaped

by them. It was shaped by 30-40 years of seeing westerners.

Chinese/Russians are genuine tourists. They come and stay on the beach and go to touristy spots. That's what Thailand wants - people

to come for a week or two and spend a lot of money. "They do not have respect for the Thai culture" - Why would they? They are paying

guests. It's the person who gets paid that has to show respect for the one who is paying. At least that's so in Thai culture (if you're rich

enough, you never wai "little" people). But I guess that does not apply when foreigners are in question. Thais want to eat the cake and have

it too, which may be impossible.

Thai govenment has been very explicit in not wanting farangs hiding in remote villages and "living like Thais live, eating like Thais eat..."

It's precisely westerners with "deep love" for everything Thai that they do not want. They want people to come here, empty pockets and

go back home. Only poor village people and their buffalos appreciate farangs.

I also agree that your advice on not confronting any Thai is 100%

I have lived in Thailand almost 10 years, the first 2 and a half in Bangkok, then upcountry in Surin for 9 months, back to Bangkok for a year, then in Jomtien Beach almost 6 years. It has definitely changed since I first came here. there are many Thais that do not like us being here. They love our money, but not our us! .. but that is not true of all Thais. I felt the most animosity upcountry.

The big change seems to be in policies of the Thai Immigration Department. They have clamped down on visa alternatives. You used to be able to do border runs to renew your tourist visa, every 30 days ad infinitum, ... but then they changed that to three times then a mandatory 90 day exclusion from the country, .. then they changed the renewal period to just 15 days! Meanwhile, they are welcoming Russians and Chinese. Now, hoards of them are here, but they do olt respect Thai culture, customs, food or religion, ...which amazes me because Westerners do show respect but are not as welcome as before!

You will never see a Russian or Chinese anywhere but the beach resort towns, but you can find westerners in every part of the country!

The Thai Baht is supported to stay high in value, which also makes no sense to me. It makes their exports more expensive on the world market. Thailand used to be the number one exporter of rice. Now, it is number 3!! It also makes vacationing here much more expensive, ..another reason why there are fewer people like me here now!

So, a drop in the welcome we receive ... the influx of masses of Russians and Chinese and a strong baht are all reasons why there are fewer of us here now!

Never goet into a dispute with a Thai. You will lose! Whether in court, at the police station or on the street. There is no sense of fair play .... if you get into a physical altercation, you will be battered and beaten by several guys, all using some sort of weapon!

I would leave if I could, but I lost my life savings being kind and caring to my ex Thai wife and her family. They were great as long as I had money and lots of it was going to them, .. .but as soon as my money was gone, I was discarded like garbage! Now, my small pension does not allow me to do much of anyhing other than live day to day and hope I do noy get ill or injured because I can not even afford medical insurance.

Sorry to hear about your financial misfortune. But this is the best description of an average Thai. They are great while milking lasts.

Once they drag you down to below their financial level, they may even help you (give you and that stray dog a handful of rice or maybe

even let you build a bamboo hut on their unused land). But, like they say, don't feel bad, it's not because you're farang. They do the

same to other Thais, if they can. It's just Thai culture.

As for westerners v.s. Russians/Chinese, it's westerners who have been coming to Thailand for 40-50 years and blatantly abusing

immigration laws (overstays, border runs, illegally working, etc). It's precisely because of westerners' abuse that the laws have been

continuously tighened. Russians/Chinese influx is relatively new phenomenon and Thai attitude towards foreigners was not shaped

by them. It was shaped by 30-40 years of seeing westerners.

Chinese/Russians are genuine tourists. They come and stay on the beach and go to touristy spots. That's what Thailand wants - people

to come for a week or two and spend a lot of money. "They do not have respect for the Thai culture" - Why would they? They are paying

guests. It's the person who gets paid that has to show respect for the one who is paying. At least that's so in Thai culture (if you're rich

enough, you never wai "little" people). But I guess that does not apply when foreigners are in question. Thais want to eat the cake and have

it too, which may be impossible.

Thai govenment has been very explicit in not wanting farangs hiding in remote villages and "living like Thais live, eating like Thais eat..."

It's precisely westerners with "deep love" for everything Thai that they do not want. They want people to come here, empty pockets and

go back home. Only poor village people and their buffalos appreciate farangs.

I also agree that your advice on not confronting any Thai is 100%

I tell people I just returned from Thailand and they mention ladyboys and underage hookers

It doesn't matter what I say about the music scene, the restaurants, the mammoth shopping malls, 2 hour massage for $10.00, or 45 minute taxi rides for $7.00

All they reply with is,

Ladyboys and

Underage sex

So you're saying that "most" people in the US believes this way? If so, would that include you? What I mean is if you are one of those folks that believes Thailand is about ladyboys and underage hookers, why did you come to Thailand in the first place?

Not having a dig at you, but it would seem to me that you yourself did not have this image of Thailand, otherwise you may not have come. I find this sort of attitude to be more prevalent in Euro folks. Most Americans couldn't tell the difference between Thailand and Taiwan.

Most Americans who know ANYTHING about Thailand, think of think of it as one giant whorehouse and opium den combined.

Just mentioning visiting Thailand causes funny smiles on people's faces.

Of course, Americans knowing so little geography, confuse Taiwan with Thailand often.

Also a lot of foreigners visiting Thailand thinks that Thai people needs money from the tourism to survive , which of course is not true at all . If you look at the industry outside of the tourism , it's really huge and the unemployment rate is low , Thailand don't have to suffer as much as other countries in SEA. Life is good for most Thais , even if the income can be low. As a foreigner you're welcome to visit as lomg as you show respect and try to understand the culture,

Yes, there is quite a bit of industry (non-tourist related) in Thailand. I don't think Thais need tourists for survival.

But making money on tourists is so easy and so sweet. That's why so many people would rather deal with "rude"

tourists than work in a factory.

A big contribution (that is not even registered by the official numbers) is from farangs buying love and family

in remote villages - paying for land, houses, cars and hospital bills for in-laws and loving buffalos.

As as a foreigner, you're wlcome to visit as long as you pay tourist prices. Foreigners who are not bringing in

a lot of money are NOT welcome. But it's hard to weed them out from the ones who throw money around. For

the time being, it's just too difficult to enforce existing government policies in this regard.

Let's be honest. Those who bitch about life in Thailand would probably find something to complain about wherever they lived. Their negative attitude to life is probably why they ended up in this country in the first place.

It's hard to resist the greener grass on the other side thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

All they reply with is,

Ladyboys and

Underage sex

Most Americans who know ANYTHING about Thailand, think of think of it as one giant whorehouse and opium den combined.

Just mentioning visiting Thailand causes funny smiles on people's faces.

Of course, Americans knowing so little geography, confuse Taiwan with Thailand often.

no offense taken, and

yes, I had no idea where Thailand was, and continued to confuse it with India a few times, not Taiwan.......

and yes,

I came to visit a friend who lives there, and all he talked about was the hoe's

I can live without ladyboys.... I grew up in NYC in the 70's and back then, we just called them transvestities,

You didn't LOSE your life savings; you gave them away because you couldn't see that your ex-wife was using you. That doesn't reflect badly on Thailand's reputation; it only reflects your poor judgement.

The baht isn't being supported to stay high in value to the same extent that the currencies of other countries are being weakened to be low in value.

Thailand is number one in rice exports http://www.blackseagrain.net/novosti/thailand-ranks-no-1-rice-exporter-in-2014

You CAN leave

I'm assuming that if your pension only allows you to live day-to-day, then you must have the 800K in the bank in order to qualify for your retirement visa.

That'll still get you set up in many Western nations

Thais have grown up?

When did that happen?

Blatant ignorance, many subjects which are just no-no with The wife, she wouldn't get it.

Trying to give the 4 year young better insight.

Edited by tartempion

1. Take EVERYTHING that the self-proclaimed Thailand "experts" tell you with a grain of salt. Many of these auld geezers are bitter old men who expect people in poor countries to bend over backwards for them (free of charge, of course). They never miss a chance to run the locals down... they want "cheap, cheap" but up to western standards.

2. You'll always meet good, bad and down right ugly people in every country. Thailand is no diffetent. People have a tendancy to dwell on, and tell others about, their negative experiences BUT they often quickly forget all of the positive things they experience on a daily basis. A smile, a nod of the head, a "How are you?", etc.

3. Base your opinion on (Thailand) on your own experiences.

As for me, I've lived here for over 5 years and I haven't had a single incident with Thais worth talking about. They treat me with the same level of respect and courtesty that I treat them with.

Overall, I can safely say that Thailand is much BETTER than it's reputation - assuming of course that you avoid the usual cesspits which attract so many of the bitter, auld self-proclaimed Thailand experts I mentioned at the beginning.

MAKE THE BEST OF EVERY DAY!

Why would I want to integrate into a country where I can't stay in for long term?f

Get your visa sorted out and you can stay here long term... Been 'ere 5 years now. Most of those employed, with appropriate visa and WP. It is possible, just need to do it. Quite bureaucratic albeit, but worth it in the end.