Prices for street foods keep rising

Thaivisa News

Bangkok: – KhaoGaeng (rice with toppings) dishes are generally five to 10 baht more expensive than last year’s prices, the Internal Trade Department says in the survey of cooked food for the second week of February.

Food vendors have increased the prices of cooked food, noodle and rice with one or two toppings to about 20 - 50 baht per dish in comparison to last year’s prices of 20 – 40 baht per dish.

The prices of street food have crept up because of the rising cost of cooking gas, higher prices of ingredients and increased rental charges, based on the survey.

The survey outcome reveals that food prices in South are the highest in comparison to other regions. This is happening despite the lowering earnings of natural rubber farmers.

Rice with two toppings in Bangkok would cost around 20 baht to 50 baht, an increase of 10 baht per dish.

The North sees the lowest price adjustment for street foods. A rice dish with one topping would cost 20 baht to 35 baht.

The average price for popular dish like rice with stir-fired pork and basil has increased about 10 baht. The price hike for fried rice is about five baht.

The Commerce Ministry has conceded that it could not control street food prices.

Strong control would be seen as bullying hawkers who try to eke out a living, according to the ministry.

The ministry has been trying, however, to slow down the food price increase by asking for the cooperation food court operators to offer 10 selective dishes at a lower price.

Price of gas up? Talk to PTT or whoever controls that... oh but they are "big fish". Price of "rentals" up? Tell police to reduce payoffs and bribes. Not the Thai way. Prefer to pick on the little guys..... next up: price controls for street food? They do love to distort markets....

it wasnt long ago the now gov.said they wanted supermarkets to put the happiness on people's faces by cutting the cost of their products,and food vendors to cut their prices,yet they have put up the price of gas twice in as many months.

even electric has gone up over 17% in just under 3yrs.

Here in Rayong all daily expenses gone up by 25% in the past year, fried rice, ice coffee, beer, bag of pineapple, etc. I see the same with ingredients bought in the market or supermarket to cook dinner. Groceries are now at a European price level, the US is cheaper already.

Yes, recycler is right The cost of living have actually gone up a lot over the last 2-3 years and not only in Rayong.

But as TIT you would not see it in the way you think....

The packet of cheese or butter is priced at the same as before more or less (+2-3 Baht ) but the amount you buy is a lot less... Packaging is the same size so you still feel it is same.... but in fact you will need to buy more in a shorter interval .

A very good example and proof of this is enclosed picture.

I used to stock up on CP Sausages, (4 in a pack) usually from Tesco or 7/11, buying bulk 10+ chuck it in the freezer and use when needed.

Cost aprox. 40 Baht (used to be 38 now 42) The pack looks the same as it has for years...

Back to the picture, as you can see i opened two packs from my freezer and discovered this....

Having studied this in more depth i discovered that it is not a singular event.... packet of Lays potato crisp before 65 Gram now 53 Gram cost same 20 Baht. and the list goes on...

so it is a sneaky way of avoiding getting the government on their neck by upping the prices too much, as we know that they like to try to regulate.....

so better cut the amount of product and keep prize the same....

Street vendors are doing the same, they might keep the price the same, but you get less food for your buck.

Amazing TIT

post-207694-0-60350200-1424314387_thumb.

• Like 1

This pricing phenomena is nothing new here or elsewhere. When I was a wee one 60+ years ago I noticed the same thing happening - my candy bar would shrink bit by bit but the price was steady - then there would be a price hike accompanied by the boast Now X% bigger. Things would settle down for a while then the cycle would repeat .

Price of gas up? Talk to PTT or whoever controls that... oh but they are "big fish". Price of "rentals" up? Tell police to reduce payoffs and bribes. Not the Thai way. Prefer to pick on the little guys..... next up: price controls for street food? They do love to distort markets....

I am trying to understand the reason for your comments, and what they represent. If you have seen gas prices going up, you are in a time machine going backwards.

the cheap charlie brigade is loose again !! quick .... someone round them up again .....w00t.gif

So when prices go up with 20-30 % you dont think its important - you must a very generous and welthy man

"A fool and his Money shall soon part" ......

My Thai step mother, told me that food had gone up quite a bit at the local shop, last year she could buy pad Thai noodles for 30bht, and now this year they're 40 bht. It's still very cheap for me, coming from Australia. I wouldn't complain.

Only thing I resent paying for is the toilet...dirty hole in the ground, absolutely stinks, the floor is wet, the personal water hose drips water everywhere, no where to hang up your bag, nothing to wash your hands with, and I have to buy 'tissue' on top! It's taken me 4 months to be able to balance on one of those things, with my hand bag over my neck. and when I see women in restaurants, Thai and foreign, I feel like asking them to put their handbags on the floor as more than likely it's been sitting in urine.

My Thai step mother, told me that food had gone up quite a bit at the local shop, last year she could buy pad Thai noodles for 30bht, and now this year they're 40 bht. It's still very cheap for me, coming from Australia. I wouldn't complain. Only thing I resent paying for is the toilet...dirty hole in the ground, absolutely stinks, the floor is wet, the personal water hose drips water everywhere, no where to hang up your bag, nothing to wash your hands with, and I have to buy 'tissue' on top! It's taken me 4 months to be able to balance on one of those things, with my hand bag over my neck. and when I see women in restaurants, Thai and foreign, I feel like asking them to put their handbags on the floor as more than likely it's been sitting in urine.

Ummm u might want to consider to select a bit of a fancier restaurant..

• Like 2

Here in Rayong all daily expenses gone up by 25% in the past year, fried rice, ice coffee, beer, bag of pineapple, etc. I see the same with ingredients bought in the market or supermarket to cook dinner. Groceries are now at a European price level, the US is cheaper already.

Yes, recycler is right The cost of living have actually gone up a lot over the last 2-3 years and not only in Rayong.

But as TIT you would not see it in the way you think....

The packet of cheese or butter is priced at the same as before more or less (+2-3 Baht ) but the amount you buy is a lot less... Packaging is the same size so you still feel it is same.... but in fact you will need to buy more in a shorter interval .

A very good example and proof of this is enclosed picture.

I used to stock up on CP Sausages, (4 in a pack) usually from Tesco or 7/11, buying bulk 10+ chuck it in the freezer and use when needed.

Cost aprox. 40 Baht (used to be 38 now 42) The pack looks the same as it has for years...

Back to the picture, as you can see i opened two packs from my freezer and discovered this....

Having studied this in more depth i discovered that it is not a singular event.... packet of Lays potato crisp before 65 Gram now 53 Gram cost same 20 Baht. and the list goes on...

so it is a sneaky way of avoiding getting the government on their neck by upping the prices too much, as we know that they like to try to regulate.....

so better cut the amount of product and keep prize the same....

Street vendors are doing the same, they might keep the price the same, but you get less food for your buck.

Amazing TIT

Has anyone been caught out with the price of Singha beer hmmm ? Was about ,say , in restaurants 80B. Now 80B but the bottle has gone down from 660ml to 500ml. Why has this been done ? Yer average pisspot tourist won't see it , " Hey Singha is the same price as Leo 'ere give me a Sing. "

I beg to differ. There is no way I can fill a bag of groceries in the US cheaper than in Thailand. Certainly, some foods here are more expensive - specifically beef and eggs. But smokes, pineapple, rice, and many vegetables are all cheaper here. It is true, however, that many things are only slightly cheaper.

That said, Thailand still totally trumps the US when it comes to prepared foods. Certainly, HiSo restaurants are only slightly cheaper than the US, but they are cheaper. But when it comes to street food, and my ability to get a nutritious meal for $2 or $3, the US is by far more expensive.

But you are absolutely correct that inflation here is very high, especially for food.

• Like 1

I am trying to understand the reason for your comments, and what they represent. If you have seen gas prices going up, you are in a time machine going backwards.

Stoli, are you sure you are talking about the same 'gas'? I think they are talking about cooking gas and you are talking about gasoline. In spite of having lived in the US for many years I find this word 'gas' very confusing. I f you pull into a combined LPG and petrol station and say 'fill her up with gas' what do you get?

Thailand in general, is no longer a cheap place to live. "The US is Cheaper" ? Its also much cheaper in England, for groceries, even clothes are cheaper in England.

Thailand is a nice place to live, If you can afford it. But there are many other beautiful places in Asia, much cheaper. For example....The Philippines.

Gee!! Having spent a lot of time in the Philippines, l would disagree with you on that. Its much more expensive in The Philippines where we are located. Maybe cheaper where you stay. Love to know where

I looked up food prices for a daily "asian" diet (see "numbeo" web site).

Bangkok 153 baht/day = US $4.70

Manila 189 peso = US $4.27

Singapore 7.21 S$ = US $5.77

Ho Chi Minh City 67,000 dong = US $3.14

by way of comparison, also

Dallas, Texas $7.32

London, UK 5.28 pounds = US $8.14

Who wants to go back home?