Oslo woman dies of rare amoeba infection contracted on Thailand trip

webfact

I would like to know where this woman spent her vacation and where she swam.

Exactly, spot on!

I'm sure I read somewhere that the baths in Bath in England were closed long ago because a women got this. It's like 100% fatal. They should at least mention the whereabouts of where she was staying in Thailand. if it came from tap water then you would expect a few more cases would have occurred.

Yes there was a report of it in the UK in 1978.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=zNgPIKR8FK4C&pg=PA253&lpg=PA253&dq=naegleria+fowleri+1979+bath+spa&source=bl&ots=gmLTfu3nn-&sig=2iUW3HiM0nGmrvzPO_CVArTbyng&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ijbmVKavCIP1OMKWgagF&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=naegleria%20fowleri%201979%20bath%20spa&f=false

There have been cases of Naegleria fowleri in many countries including the US, UK and NZ etc. So it's not particular to just SE Asia. However, its occurrence may well be underreported since it is often mistaken for 'meningitis' and unless you do specific tests you could miss it.

I once made the mistake of looking up water-borne diseases in South East Asia. Not a good idea (I bike, run and Hash so end up in water quite often) and I chose to not take it to heart. 20 years later and I am still alive and kickin'.

Hashers are immune from infections while on a run. The beer will protecttongue.png

OnOn!

True that.

On On!

I'm with Thian. In Pattaya during Songkran, the farang buy PVC pipe squirt guns that shoot more than a liter of water, and one nasty Brit bugger in a wet suit shot it up my nose as I was leaving my hotel during the first morning of my vacation. I was subsequently in bed for two days fighting a resistant nasal infection with multiple antibiotics.

When I was better, I dumped eleven bottles of Chang in the hotel room garbage can, the four liter size, let it stew in the tropical sun for a day and night, and dumped it on his head from the rooftop, giving him the one finger salute when he looked up smelling like the shit he was already made of.

Foreigners take a playful holiday and try to make it a blood sport. IDIOTS.angry.png

Are you sure it was the water thrower that was the idiot? He was only on holiday having a bit of fun the same as millions of others do, whereas you deliberately set out to cause him harm. The idiot, and a dangerous one at that, was you.

Yeah nasal rinsing. My sinuses are shut. I was aware of this bacteria before so i always boil water but i wonder if its only this bacteria that is deadly.

If you want to kill of any type of water born bacteria MAKE SURE you boil the water for a minimum of two minutes - not let the electric jug turn itself off automatically when water has reached boiling point! This will also kill off cryptosporidum cysts.