Electric mountain bike

Myshkin

Thailands laws are not yet up to speed with bikes.. I seem to recall they need a tabien / plate over a pretty low KW rating and none have been passed so none legally able to ride on the Rd.

Like it on not electric bikes will be a big thing, especially as round town hoppers.

Brammo making big strides as is redshift

Anyone doubting the progress of these just needs to see the isle of man TT Zero bikes,, 150 mph electrics..

I guess you mean something like this, Myshkin, don't you?

http://www.haibike.de/produkte_liste_epower_en,3004.html

Research prices, think of the tax and customs tariff to officially import these vehicles and immediately you'll understand why you hardly will find any place selling electric mountain bikes like these in Chiang Mai soon ...

If you really want one there's only one way: Buy (and try) it in the country where you pay the least, forget about warranty, find out a feasible option to bring the battery(s) to Thailand and fly back with the bike as part of your luggage. Make sure the bike doesn't look new anymore and you should not have any problem at the customs.

But for this solution I would suggest to have at least a certain solid level of technical background/experience otherwise quick disappointment will be preprogrammed.

rebo, on 20 Feb 2015 - 14:33, said:

Research prices, think of the tax and customs tariff to officially import these vehicles and immediately you'll understand why you hardly will find any place selling electric mountain bikes like these in Chiang Mai soon ...

If you really want one there's only one way: Buy (and try) it in the country where you pay the least, forget about warranty, find out a feasible option to bring the battery(s) to Thailand and fly back with the bike as part of your luggage. Make sure the bike doesn't look new anymore and you should not have any problem at the customs.

But for this solution I would suggest to have at least a certain solid level of technical background/experience otherwise quick disappointment will be preprogrammed.

Yes Rebo, thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for, sorry if the title wasn't clear. It was meant for a friend of mine who has some health issues and tires very quickly, but who would still enjoy and appreciate some of the pleasures and the freedom that mountain biking provides. Your comments are spot on, I visited several bicycle stores in Chiang Mai when I bought my own MTB, and never did I see any electric one.

My friend is scheduled to fly back to Europe in a couple of months I will pass him your useful informations in case he persists in that direction. As for me, and as long as health permits, I will continue to sweat and suffer with the real stuff.

For a ( much ) cheaper electric bike , you could have a look in at the Lifan motorbike dealer on the Charoen Muang Road , on the right , before the train station . He sells and makes several types according to your spec and budget ( including disabled types ) .

For a ( much ) cheaper electric bike , you could have a look in at the Lifan motorbike dealer on the Charoen Muang Road , on the right , before the train station . He sells and makes several types according to your spec and budget ( including disabled types ) .

Lifan is false economy. They are made of such junk, the fasterners made of toffee, eveything rusts, etc etc.. Look at a 3 or 5 year old lifan.. Its toast.. Look at a 5 year old Kwak or Honda.. Still solid.

If you need to save money, buy a decent used mainstream brand, the resale will hold up and end up costing less than the lifan overall, with far fewer problems and maintenance hassle over the lifetime.

rebo, on 20 Feb 2015 - 14:33, said:

Yes Rebo, thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for, sorry if the title wasn't clear. It was meant for a friend of mine who has some health issues and tires very quickly, but who would still enjoy and appreciate some of the pleasures and the freedom that mountain biking provides. Your comments are spot on, I visited several bicycle stores in Chiang Mai when I bought my own MTB, and never did I see any electric one.

My friend is scheduled to fly back to Europe in a couple of months I will pass him your useful informations in case he persists in that direction. As for me, and as long as health permits, I will continue to sweat and suffer with the real stuff.

Myshkin.......They are available somewhere in CM as I often see an elderly Thai lady riding one around Banwangtan/HangDong most every afternoon.....FYI

Myshkin.......They are available somewhere in CM as I often see an elderly Thai lady riding one around Banwangtan/HangDong most every afternoon.....FYI

clap2.gif

This is what I call a helpful and well-founded statement regarding Myshkin's question.

BTW - a little bit off-topic, and only in case you're looking for best pizza in town: Yesterday I saw again this bald guy who told my neighbour that he now had found by far the best Italian restaurant in Chiang Mai.

Sorry, couldn't resist ... whistling.gif

Myshkin, I have found a shop in town selling battery powered MTBs. 2 versions available. The shop is on Chiang Moi road at the bend as you come from the moat. Right hand side. It's a small shop with a new American owner. To his right is a shop selling Pad Thai....just for reference.

I mentioned that a Thai Visa member was looking for these.....so he's keen to show you.

Hope it's what you're looking for.

Myshkin, I have found a shop in town selling battery powered MTBs. 2 versions available. The shop is on Chiang Moi road at the bend as you come from the moat. Right hand side. It's a small shop with a new American owner. To his right is a shop selling Pad Thai....just for reference.

I mentioned that a Thai Visa member was looking for these.....so he's keen to show you.

I called in there to look for the Normal bicycles battery drive

But have not found any yet

He had 2 models

Asking price was above 21000 Baht

1 with a cluch system that regulates the electric power needed when cycling

The other is just use acelarator as and when needed

Both looked great

He had 2 models

Both looked great

Chaitawat bikeshop on Papraklao Rd had a nice hybrid electric bike this week.

Don't know the price but it will be more then 25.000 by the looks of it.

Good luck.

Lizard2010, on 26 Feb 2015 - 22:59, said:
CMKiwi, on 26 Feb 2015 - 12:19, said:

He had 2 models

Both looked great

I went there today, the owner is very friendly and the bikes look nice and reasonably priced. Will return next week with my friend, as I don't know anything about e-bikes myself anyway. Thanks to everyone for their assistance.

terminatorchiangmai, on 27 Feb 2015 - 08:34, said:
Lizard2010, on 26 Feb 2015 - 22:59, said:
CMKiwi, on 26 Feb 2015 - 12:19, said:

He had 2 models

Both looked great

Chaitawat bikeshop on Papraklao Rd had a nice hybrid electric bike this week.

Don't know the price but it will be more then 25.000 by the looks of it.

Good luck.

Incidentally I visited Chaitawat bike store today, as it was on my way to lunch and it is where I purchased my own conventional MTB last year. I asked about e-bikes and she showed me the hybrid and mentionned a price of 120'000. I might have missunderstood though, but I also heard that e-bikes are extremely expensive in my previous home country.

• 3 months later...

I suppose a bike is a bike but those two from Amazon look pretty ugly (Is that an oxymoron). The ones they had at the bike shop up Chang Moi Road looked more like a standard MTB albeit branded names.

That shop has now moved but Im not sure where to. The American owner said he was moving just up the road when I was last there.....may have to do some investigating

I suppose a bike is a bike but those two from Amazon look pretty ugly (Is that an oxymoron). The ones they had at the bike shop up Chang Moi Road looked more like a standard MTB albeit branded names.

That shop has now moved but Im not sure where to. The American owner said he was moving just up the road when I was last there.....may have to do some investigating

I have been there too

Let me know where they have moved too. When you find out

Ok, I was uptown yesterday and rode down/up Chiang Moi Road. Spotted a new bicycle shop called Mong Cycles or something like that. Unfortunately I didn't stop to confirm that it's the shop mentioned previously but going on what the owner said I would bet that it is his new shop.

I'm heading back into town this afternoon and will stop and see what's new in the shop and confirm its the one we are looking for.

• 3 months later...

I crashed it and the engine burned through my leg.......

and this is bad for the environment, thailand has enough pollution problems

and i gained 100 kg

but i passed a kid on a normal bike and he gave me the finger

and that battery went into the ocean and killed 1 million fish....

i'm suing

Archived