I Love Pattaya.

Costas2008

I had my time in Pattaya 20+ years ago. Now in BFE Isan and would never move back. Too many tourists, too many farang and both of those have ruined the minds of the Thai that have to put up with them.

I know where Isan is, but where is BFE Isan?

I had my time in Pattaya 20+ years ago. Now in BFE Isan and would never move back. Too many tourists, too many farang and both of those have ruined the minds of the Thai that have to put up with them.

I know where Isan is, but where is BFE Isan?

American colloquialism ( Bum fark*Egypt) -

Out in the middle of nowhere

I'm curious what percent of expats who don't choose Pattaya make that decision based on what other people will think, rather than what they actually would prefer. That would be sad to let such things determine such a major decision.

It really is an excellent choice, and arguably the best choice especially for those who aren't that interested in going native.

Not wanted to be Patts Basher, but I've never quite got the place.

It takes a pair of really really rose colored spectacles to avoid the sleaze.

And as a beach resort, oh come on I've seen better beaches on Lake Michigan. So whats left? If you want urban sophistication then, Bangkok is a better bet, and if it's beaches, then the islands beat Pattaya hands down.

So, I dunno, I accept there of those of you that love the place, but for a majority of the human race it's associated with nothing more than the sex trade.

Costas, book your ticket now, they're waiting for you with open arms!

• Like 1

Obviously from someone with a superficial experience of the place. Of course there are better cities and better beaches but where is a better beach cum big city in Thailand than Portage?

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Obviously from someone with a superficial experience of the place. Of course there are better cities and better beaches but where is a better beach cum big city in Thailand than Portage?

Yeah, you're right it is superficial. I visit a couple of times a year to visit my sister in law and husband, but isn't that what most visitors do, visit for a week or two?

That's the unfortunate reality of the place. It may be the greatest place on earth to live, but as a visitor, the lasting impression is sleaze, not a lot more.

Portage. Ooops.

I must say JT,i was recently in Prachuap kirikhan,it was quite delightful,a handfull of falang,no russians or chinee,s to be seen ,quite,wonderfull,like Thailand 20 year ago,may well go back for the hot season,already started here,hellish.

• Like 1

BTW, New Pattaya would hardly be what it is now without the people of the Issan, including the poor girls that came from there for a better life of their babies.

oh gawd cry me a river, they can always get a job in 7/11 they do not HAVE to lie on their backs to feed babies.

• Like 1

Of course, Thailand is a large and beautiful country, and Pattaya is only a small part of it.

That's true, a disgusting and embarrassing part. I have no problem with folks being honest and saying they like it for what it is- the biggest sex for sale resort in SEA, but the people who try to pretend it is something else come across as either deluded or annoying.

Pattaya is not Thailand,it is a ghastly concrete jungle full of excess,a foul swamp of humanity,why any one would like it i do not understand.

• Like 2

I'm curious what percent of expats who don't choose Pattaya make that decision based on what other people will think, rather than what they actually would prefer. That would be sad to let such things determine such a major decision.

It really is an excellent choice, and arguably the best choice especially for those who aren't that interested in going native.

Not wanted to be Patts Basher, but I've never quite got the place.

It takes a pair of really really rose colored spectacles to avoid the sleaze.

And as a beach resort, oh come on I've seen better beaches on Lake Michigan. So whats left? If you want urban sophistication then, Bangkok is a better bet, and if it's beaches, then the islands beat Pattaya hands down.

So, I dunno, I accept there of those of you that love the place, but for a majority of the human race it's associated with nothing more than the sex trade.

Costas, book your ticket now, they're waiting for you with open arms!

Sir

You do not know that Chonburi has many beaches, not just Pattaya. Ex Pats are so lucky to have many, so close to Pattaya City. U need to get away from the sleaze

I♥Pattaya,

because it's the Rock'n'Roll City of Thailand.

I'm the "crazy" Dervish Farang that occasionally dances around bars and clubs in South Pattaya, incl. Blues Factory in Walking Street.

Anyone interested in a Jam Session with Thai and maybe Farang musicians?

The rock and roll city of Thailand? only because it's full of stupid foreigners who don't appreciate Thai music, and I don't mean drivel like Carabao, Palmy or Sek Loso who just reproduce falang music with Thai lyrics.

Edited by dragonfly94

I♥Pattaya,

I'm the "crazy" Dervish Farang that occasionally dances around bars and clubs in South Pattaya, incl. Blues Factory in Walking Street.

The rock and roll city of Thailand? only because it's full of stupid foreigners who don't appreciate Thai music, and I don't mean drivel like Carabao, Palmy or Sek Loso who just reproduce falang music with Thai lyrics.

"Ruined the minds of the Thai....." ?

I am going to have to give that one some thought.

I♥Pattaya,

So Foreigners that don't listen to your "real" Thai music are stupid?

What about Thai's that love rock n roll, are they also stupid?

dry.png.pagespeed.ce.iCXmiFQmCf75Y8CMyFH

I♥Pattaya,

I like all 3 of them. Also Nok Noi -is she real Thai music?

Well I have never been a Nok Noi or seang issan troupe fan, even though I went out with one of her dancers, she can't sing very well IMO but she has been at it since she was 13 so you have to give her some respect for that. Seang issan were not bad when they had Mai Tai still with them, these days gone down a bit. However Topline Diamond in my opinion are the most authentic Thai music label and a world away from the flashness of Grammy and even R Siam, their tiny shop house offices in Prakhanong do reflect the Thai spirit. Not for them Starbucks outlets on the premises or KFC on the doorstep, they have their own volunteer rescue and fire service instead.

Their list of singers is as impressive as anyone else's but unlike some companies they don't spend money getting their material played on the radio, don't (buy) get awards at meaningless gong ceremonies and their concerts are usually some of the best, no soundtrack, they always have a band and good dancers. They sponsor Wat Saphan near Bangna/ Bitec and have a concert there every year, should be coming up very soon now. I better look that up, thanks for the reminder. I see from their site they signed up Janet Keaw and peter forty fi and that Mai Tai left Grammy and went back to them.

https://www.youtube.com/user/toplinemusicofficial

Pattaya did used to have some good cafes, but I think they are all gone?

Edited by dragonfly94
  • Like 1

Well I have never been a Nok Noi or seang issan troupe fan, even though I went out with one of her dancers, she can't sing very well IMO but she has been at it since she was 13 so you have to give her some respect for that. Seang issan were not bad when they had Mai Tai still with them, these days gone down a bit. However Topline Diamond in my opinion are the most authentic Thai music label and a world away from the flashness of Grammy and even R Siam, their tiny shop house offices in Prakhanong do reflect the Thai spirit. Not for them Starbucks outlets on the premises or KFC on the doorstep, they have their own volunteer rescue and fire service instead.

Their list of singers is as impressive as anyone else's but unlike some companies they don't spend money getting their material played on the radio, don't (buy) get awards at meaningless gong ceremonies and their concerts are usually some of the best, no soundtrack, they always have a band and good dancers. They sponsor Wat Saphan near Bangna/ Bitec and have a concert there every year, should be coming up very soon now. I better look that up, thanks for the reminder. I see from their site they signed up Janet Keaw and peter forty fi and that Mai Tai left Grammy and went back to them.

https://www.youtube.com/user/toplinemusicofficial

Pattaya did used to have some good cafes, but I think they are all gone?

Nice to read a post by someone who actually knows Thailand. Thanks for the link - good stuff.

Also gotta respect Nok Noi for being Thongchai McIntyre's manager.

If you like Morlam, you might like this - a morlam dub by Jah Wobble of the old punk days.

Nok Noi Birds manager, are you sure? I never heard that before.

Nong Phet, Pumpuangs son is also with them, not the talent of his mum of course, but a nice bloke and her old label for a lot of her time.

Edited by dragonfly94

Nok Noi Birds manager, are you sure? I never heard that before.

Nong Phet, Pumpuangs son is also with them, not the talent of his mum of course, but a nice bloke and her old label for a lot of her time.

I'm sure Bird's manage is Nok Noi. There might be another Nok Noi though.