I Love Pattaya.

Costas2008

I think a good decision, particularly as it may benefit your wife's career.

Much maligned Pattaya is what you make of it. Even the weather is easier than Issarn which goes to the extremes.

The biggest hospital is easy to get to if you live on the North, you may even find there is no need to drive yourself if you live in town.

The tunnel construction is going to make traffic horrendous for a few years though, so plan around that.

• Like 1

I myself never hesitate in saddling up and moving on when the whim hits me or am seeking a new adventure in this beautiful and wonderful life that I enjoy every second of in every given day. I want to die with no regrets. My problem is I'm a wanderer at heart and on our many trips around Thailand I'm forever saying to "she who must be obeyed" ...let's move here , it's beautiful"...whenever we are travelling through a nice town, or a piece of countryside. She understands me so well now that the replies....."Yes, OK, and how long before you get bored?". She's absolutely right, of course, and I have to be very mindful of that. Have made a slight mistake already when I moved to where I am now.

Go for it Costas, it might be a great new adventure for you and always remember that "nothing in life is permanent".. if you decide it was not the right move then you can change it...nothing is written in stone.

I wish you and her good self a long and happy life together wherever you end up........... I have to say though, I was slightly sad when you remarked about finding some leisure time when the wife is at work. I may be totally wrong in what I am thinking you mean and if so I sincerely apologize , but it came right after you were writing about Walking Street and about not mentioning it to her...... I am a firm believer in Karma and if we deliberately do things that can hurt others (especially those we love) why should we be surprised when life decides what's good for the goose is also good for the gander.

Good luck again and hopefully you will keep us informed.....

Edited by dotpoom
  • Like 1

Your wife giving up a 20 year career is a little crazy, I came to Thailand with the idea I would rent in different places to find out which is best. Maybe you could try using the wife's vacation time to get to know Pattaya better. Really see it for what it is , the good and bad. I live a hour north of Pattaya were I do not pay tourist prices. When I feel like a Subway we jump in the car or on motorbike and go for a ride to Pattaya spend some time there and then I am happy to leave. You may want your wife to look at Braphay University Hospital in Bang Saen very nice beach area.

• Like 1

Guess nobody forces you to do the 'big bang' and quit Issan completely. Your wife would probably like to stick to her roots anyway.

So, if you both have permanent incomes, you could try to leave your wife alone for a little while. She might want to find a new job in Pattaya while still holding her old job in Issan.

• Like 1

Defending Pattaya is easy.

It is so incredibly fabulous.

It sells itself!

It's an utter crap hole in my opinion, filthy sea and little more than an open air brothel. Beach road is truly stomach churning, loads of sagging old westerners pawing Issan farmers daughters young enough to be their grandchild, yuk. It's is a heaven for sex tourists who want or have to pay for sex, most of the prostitutes actually hate them, but the customers rarely seem to catch on. Also a magnet for the scum of the world, I refer to the soccer hooligan types from the UK, the Russian petty crims, the dodgy teflers dashing down there on a weekend and of course those interested in the younger girls and boys on offer. Yes it sells itself alright, but for all the wrong reasons to people mostly best avoided. it's a national disgrace and an embarrassment, as are those who wax lyrical about it.

It sells itself!

It's an utter crap hole in my opinion, filthy sea and little more than an open air brothel. Beach road is truly stomach churning, loads of sagging old westerners pawing Issan farmers daughters young enough to be their grandchild, yuk. It's is a heaven for sex tourists who want or have to pay for sex, most of the prostitutes actually hate them, but the customers rarely seem to catch on. Also a magnet for the scum of the world, I refer to the soccer hooligan types from the UK, the Russian petty crims, the dodgy teflers dashing down there on a weekend and of course those interested in the younger girls and boys on offer. Yes it sells itself alright, but for all the wrong reasons to people mostly best avoided. it's a national disgrace and an embarrassment, as are those who wax lyrical about it.

My goodness, we have got a chip on our shoulder...

• Like 1

@jip99, ignore him - hopefully he'll head back to Google Images in his own time. He didnt mention katoeys in his rant - presumably they were the one bright spot in a trip which seems to have occurred somewhere around 2003 based on some of the dated 'observations'.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

All non Thais are 'Farang'. I thought everybody knows that.coffee1.gif

I guess it comes down to whether you regard Russia as part of Europe when so much of its land mass encompasses central Asia. I've never heard a Thai refer to Russians as 'Farang' - YMMV - although I admit my social circle isnt what it should be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farang

Ethnic Russians are classified as 'Eastern Slavs' by the people who put this together - the Wikipedia entry on 'Caucasian' reads more like something from Hitler's Mein Kampf than anything I'd want to reference here. Little wonder the Nazis were so ready to brand so many to the east of Germany as 'subhuman'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavs

Some Thais do refer to Russians as farang and can't tell the difference. We don't have many where I live and A Well to do thai who lives in my condo whilst waiting for her van to be readied by her driver asks my misses if her farang husband is from Russia? If anything I look English or Irish decent...but look Russian Farang to a thai. That sucks..

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Unless you count Chinese, Koreans and Russians as 'Farang',

How can Russians be in the same boat with Chinese and Koreans? Russians are Caucasians, aren't they?

Some are, some aren't. Many Russian Asians in Pattaya especially from Siberia/Eastern Russia.

All non Thais are 'Farang'. I thought everybody knows that.coffee1.gif

Err, no, they are not... coffee1.gif

http://baheyeldin.com/linguistics/thai-word-farang-variations-in-other-languages-arabic-origin.html

this term Farang means "White European" in Thai.

This Costas guy is as cunning as a shit house rat.

I am on to his game.

Sends the wifey to work at double the money.

Tells us he is sneaking around.

Yes but not with women.

This guy is about to do real estate in Pattaya big time.

He is awaiting the inevitable drop in prices and it wont be long till he announces he has found Jomtiem announcing it to the world .

I'm watching you boy.

• Like 1

I hope you get some serious suggestions and not just members trying to be "funny" on this post. The best ideas would come from a "farang" married to a Thai woman that lives in Pattaya and can give you ideas where to live and the challenges for your wife. I work in the Pattaya area, in my 50's and now single --but job keeps me busy and I have very little time to socialize or hit the bars as the tourists do.

Here are my thoughts: Some of my friends living in other countries or even in Bangkok will raise their eyebrows when I say I live in "Pattaya"-which means "Sin City" to them, but Pattaya is like having satellite TV with over 105 channels, you pick and choose where you want to shop, eat, drink, and be merry. Just because there is a "ping-pong" show down a soi from Walking Street, doesn't mean I am frequent visitor as much as I am a devote Buddhist visiting temple everyday. I have lived/worked in the Pattaya area for ten years and have not been in a fight, robbed, argument or any mischief because I do not stay up until 2am then decide to walk alone along Beach Rd. or sit at a bar and get totally wasted creating diarrhea of the mouth which may be offensive.

I can see where you would be more comfortable here in Pattaya and it has the best of two worlds, the Western comforts (Central Festival Shopping mall; Western restaurants; good hospitals; and various clubs to meet other Westerners; meanwhile it has the Thai way of life: you can walk down a soi and pick up fried noodles for 40baht, get some fresh fruit from a vendor for 20baht, or go to an Isaan concert on 3rd Rd or Theppisit Rd.

I worry more about your wife where she could meet career Thai women like herself. 80% ??? of the Thais here are temporary and come and go. Many woman are into the "essort" business so I do not know what she would have in common with them, so I think one big factor is where could you live where she would have some Thai lady friends to socialize with. I have no answer for that but hopefully one of the members reading this would. I think living in a condo (which I enjoy living in) would isolate her more since a condo has may farang couples or single men coming and going.

If she is fortunate to get a job at one of the hospitals, then it would be wise to live in a neighborhood close to where she works or near a baht-bus route. Living on the "dark side" east part of Pattaya is where many row house or house developments are but I think it would be far from her work.

When you first move to Pattaya, you need to understand it will take a year before you both feel comfortable to call it your "home". You wife may become homesick so that is why it is important for her to be near some lady friends or she will hate it here. ( You may have felt awkward in Isaan, she may feel awkward in Pattaya since there are many farangs that "label" all Thai woman the same...) What ever you rent at first, have in mind you will most likely move once she gets a job as a nurse. (by the way I think there are some jobs our there for certified English speaking nurses who can take care of retired farang men who need a day-care nurse. I think the pay and hours may be better.

You will do fine here...but it is very important for you to consider what will make her happy in this tourist city.

Edited by toenail
  • Like 2

Just come back from Pattaya, where I went with the wife for 3 days.

We were both impressed with the city the life and the people we met.

A complete contrast to the life we have now, living in rural Issan.

Enough of me trying to integrate to the village way of life for the past 8 years.

Life is in Pattaya.

Where can I start from?

The walks on the seafront of South Pattaya and Jomtien?

The clean sea breeze from the gulf of Thailand?

The plethora of restaurants and variety of food?

Yes, more expensive than here, but you pay according to the quality, the variety and the service you receive.

The feeling of not being an outsider in Thailand, not a farang anymore, pointed by every Thai as being a member of some wildlife species?

There are more foreigners living there than Thais.

And the Thais have adjusted and treat you with respect and friendliness.

The amount of shopping malls around?

Everything you need, it’s a short distance away.

The beautiful coffee shops, overlooking the sea with the facility of being inside with the air-condition or outside enjoying your cigarette?

And the most important for me, lots and lots of people around you.

Doesn’t matter ethnic or nationality……I just love people.

Have to admit that traffic is usually bad……but I have all the time in my hands.

Night life and bar girls are not so important for me.

I saw Walking Street once and that is enough.

Saying that……….when she is working………I can sneak out……just for some extra leisure……..but please don’t tell her that.

So the decision has been made.

The wife will be applying for a position in a Pattaya hospital.

With her qualifications, experience and command of the English language, probably she will get a job with at least double her current salary.

With my income also, it’s more than enough to enjoy a comfortable life.

We will rent a house or a condo and if she feels homesick we can always come and stay for some time in our house in the sticks.

What do you think members?

A good decision or just a nice dream?

Costa if I we you I would go for it .

I don't like the village life at all it gives me the shit that is way I come and go to thailand.

• Like 1

Just come back from Pattaya, where I went with the wife for 3 days.

We were both impressed with the city the life and the people we met.

A complete contrast to the life we have now, living in rural Issan.

Enough of me trying to integrate to the village way of life for the past 8 years.

Life is in Pattaya.

Where can I start from?

The walks on the seafront of South Pattaya and Jomtien?

The clean sea breeze from the gulf of Thailand?

The plethora of restaurants and variety of food?

Yes, more expensive than here, but you pay according to the quality, the variety and the service you receive.

The feeling of not being an outsider in Thailand, not a farang anymore, pointed by every Thai as being a member of some wildlife species?

There are more foreigners living there than Thais.

And the Thais have adjusted and treat you with respect and friendliness.

The amount of shopping malls around?

Everything you need, it’s a short distance away.

The beautiful coffee shops, overlooking the sea with the facility of being inside with the air-condition or outside enjoying your cigarette?

And the most important for me, lots and lots of people around you.

Doesn’t matter ethnic or nationality……I just love people.

Have to admit that traffic is usually bad……but I have all the time in my hands.

Night life and bar girls are not so important for me.

I saw Walking Street once and that is enough.

Saying that……….when she is working………I can sneak out……just for some extra leisure……..but please don’t tell her that.

So the decision has been made.

The wife will be applying for a position in a Pattaya hospital.

With her qualifications, experience and command of the English language, probably she will get a job with at least double her current salary.

With my income also, it’s more than enough to enjoy a comfortable life.

We will rent a house or a condo and if she feels homesick we can always come and stay for some time in our house in the sticks.

What do you think members?

A good decision or just a nice dream?

Costa if I we you I would go for it .

I don't like the village life at all it gives me the shit that is way I come and go to thailand.

Khun Costas, I wish you every success with your move. Just please avoid the 99 baht breakfasts, or you may find yourself being a patient at the hospital your wife works at!

Which will give Costas the idea to sell the hospital food for 99 baht per serve which he gets his wife to pinch.

And all the time he told us he was off mongering.

Costas is no man whore.

But he wishes he was.

• Like 2

It sells itself!

Good one......

Traditionally, women get children and do most of the work, while men make the money.

That means women need more money than their men.

But if a man has a permanent income, a woman would be crazy to kill her ATM.

No woman I know is that stupid.

Just don't marry.

It sells itself!

Enough about the good points, what about the downside? I am under no illusions as to what my home for the last 7-8 years is (well, Jomtien). I don't drink more than maybe glass of wine a month, don't partake of the ladies, er, women. But in spite of all the negatives of this dump, there is something that has me not wanting to move... a somewhat honest (even in dishonesty) approach "This is what I am, don't like it, sod off". Every day brings a new twist on stupidity and rank corruption. I think I would be bored somewhere else, though probably more comfortable. I'll rest enough when I'm dead.