Dogs chewing up house

FACTOR

DON'T keep them outside. Start with crate training, and the most important thing is give them attention, keep them occupied until they tire out. A neglected dog will just be destructive, bark when the wind blows and can become territorial being aggressive towards other dogs and people passing by. If you are just looking for a lawn ornament better to give the dogs to someone else and get a lawn gnome.

• Like 1

In a nutshell they are bored. Twice a day daily walks to release all the energy would be a good start.

Big bones to chew ( raw) but not too often.

Toys, rawhide and discipline if you catch them chewing the house ;)

Good luck, part of puppy ownership, they settle down by 4-5 years old :)

• Like 2

Every dog I have ever had chewed on nearly everything when they were puppies. One even chewed my son's mobile phone holding it between its front paws like a bone. With training and maturity they will stop, but from other comments the breed that you have you may need professional help..

• Like 1

I had 2 Bang Keaws, both poisoned for chewing on the neighbor’s chickens, anyway that’s a whole different story. As there pups teeth are growing they need something to chew on same as a Baby, I found hanging some tires of a tree couple inches of the ground worked quite well, if they chew furniture they need to be disciplined and with bang Keaws they need a lot of it, but they do learn even if it takes longer than say a Lab or Sheppard..

Also they love water so worthwhile having something they can jump into, I found one of those concrete rings worked a treat,,,,,

Good look, just be persistent they will turn out good

• Like 1

OP, Bangkeaw is a bried that requires a lot of exercise so you need to walk them at least 30 min twice a day if you don't do other type of energy draining things. Your dogs are simly frustrated to start with. Furthermore, do you treat them as dogs or as cute family members? The dogs should be diciplined using calm energy projection.

lots of ignorant advice instead of stating the fact that for puppies it is mandatory to chew to strengthen the setting of their teeth. provide pieces of wood (rub a piece of sausage on them) and let the puppies chew their hearts out. your furniture will be safe.

• Like 1

In a nutshell they are bored. Twice a day daily walks to release all the energy would be a good start.

Toys, rawhide and discipline if you catch them chewing the house wink.png

Good luck, part of puppy ownership, they settle down by 4-5 years old smile.png

I agree, boredom is the major cause of mischief when it comes to dogs (and humans to a point)

Chewing up everything in sight, barking constantly and digging open cut mines in the garden etc. You can't spend every waking hour with them so you have to give them something to do when you are not there.

My friend in Australia had rotweillers and he hung a motorbike tire from a tree branch for them to play with, it worked well until the branch broke then the dogs chewed up what they could and dragged the rest of the branch around the yard. Kept them occupied for a while though.

• Like 1

give them something better to chew on like rawhide or bones

that's not what vets recommend for puppies. hide is too soft, bone is too brittle, wood is ideal.

Except a puppy can't tell the difference between a wooden table leg and a chewable log. Better to use something that is totally unrelated to what it is verboten to chew. Are nylon bones available in Thailand?

I DO keep them outside. But our house is traditional Thai style -- wooden, with open living space on the ground floor.

I also have a traditional Thai house, and my four dogs are never in it, they know to stay outside.

So, is your house only wood on the inside? Because all the traditional Thai houses I've seen are built almost entirely out of wood.

Edited by giddyup

My thai dogs chewed 6 dining table chairs,80,000bht sofa,outside chairs and the plaster on the corners of the walls!!!

My friend reckons to put some water and chopped chillis in a fine spray bottle and put it on chair legs etc,Never tried it but he has had dogs all his life and has between 7 and 10 at a time!!

1, bad choice of breed.

2. unskilled "owner" already owned.

3. you need professional help, but that is not permanent without your CONTINUED work.

4. dogs are not dolls, they require discipline and care and the more a dog is pure bred, the more delicate and problem filled the dog is HERE.

A pup of a Thai soi dog is absolute best..... immune to diseases here, will eat anything, knows what a rolled newspaper means and fast, and will defend you to his death. They are kinda dumb about cars, but catch on quick who is pack leader, and if that is you, you have struck gold in the dog world.

• Like 2

Toys, rawhide and discipline if you catch them chewing the house wink.png

Good luck, part of puppy ownership, they settle down by 4-5 years old smile.png

In addition you must show dominance and this can be done without hitting or being cruel to the animal. You have the opportune time to start as they are still pups. If you can't do this, move on to a different type of animal.

NOW they have started chewing the white plastic strip coverings on the electric cables!! I'm trying the pepper mixture on the wooden stuff, but too early to tell if any results.

I disagree what some posters have said about Bangkeaw being a bad choice for a dog; I find these dogs to be smart, loyal, protective but not aggressive (although when they were just a couple of months old, they ripped a small chicken to shreds that wandered into our garden), and they are good with children, contrary to what one poster said; Lord knows my three year old son has given them plenty of reason to snap at him --- pulling their tails, picking them up by the neck, generally messing with them --, but so far they have been patient and fun loving with him.

I think I'll get some more pieces of old wood to distract them, as shown in that video up the thread, and try a bit of training on my own.

The breed is notorious for this. With same problem but different breed we ground up hottest possible chilli into sauce and spread it around generously. Worked well as it will remind them it's not permitted - then depends on the dog and if it wants to behave or not.

Lol! Just googled them up as i didnt know what they were and it looks like i have 2 i rescued from outside tonys gym.

No real chewing issues yet but they are proving difficult to stop peeing inside the shop.

Thats the street dog mentality, do not panic, you can break the habit

Some idea's/options

1. Take them out every 3-4 hours to the tree or grassy area

2. Give treats and positive praise when they pee outside.

3. Watch the body language to pick up when they want to go toilet, and take them out immediately following step 2

If you stay consistent, you should be fine in 1 week, if not few days.