App against taxi cheats unveiled

Thaivisa News

Bangkok:- The Transport Ministry has unveiled new application software, DLT Check In, designed to address grievances for taxi services.

The app is developed by Department of Land Transportation (DLT).

Deputy Transport Minister ArkomTempitayapaisit said taxi customers can download the app to their mobile devices starting in March.

Once the app is activated after the start of a taxi trip, the device will be connected online to the DLT database.

The DLT can monitor the taxi movement via global positioning system (GPS).

The monitor will be able to verify the pick-up, drop-off points and the route used in real time.

The data collected by the app would enable to the ministry to make an informed decision on whether to approve the second-phase taxi fare adjustment.

If there is no noticeable improvement in service, the ministry may revise the fare hike plan, initially scheduled for the second half of 2015.

Arkom voiced optimism that the app would act as a deterrent for taxi cheats like the refusal to use meter fare, denying passengers to certain locations and reckless driving.

He also said the monitor of taxi services via the app will lead to the rating of service quality.

The DLT has plans to introduce the service rating in order to encourage taxi operators to compete in improving on their performances.

This will in turn help customers to choose among the taxi companies identified by differing vehicle colours.

Presently, taxi fares can air their grievances via the 1584 hotline. About 1,000 complaints on refusal to pick up customers have been lodged per month.

• Like 1

It can be downloaded from March.

I use My Tracks, which keeps a record of the journey.

I have used it once to complain about the route , but the taxi driver will always argue that Thanon xxxx "rot tit mak" and that his route is better.

but how does the app monitor the 8 out of 10 taxis that refuse a pick up ? blink.png

It's not the route driven that's the problem it's the refusal of customers thats the issue ....

I really don't get it, with complaints like this. I have never been refused to be taken anywhere by a taxi driver in Thailand. I get in and close the door and tell him where I want to go. He takes me there and uses the meter. I see a lot of people ask the driver first before they get in, but I don't understand why they do that. I've never had a problem. I've lived here 26 years and use taxis all the time. 8 out of 10 taxis refuse a pickup? Seriously???

• Like 2

"the app is activated after the start of a taxi trip" blink.png

"Arkom voiced optimism that the app would act as a deterrent for taxi cheats like ... denying passengers"

"He also said the monitor of taxi services via the app will lead to the rating of service quality."

Right.

If you never got in the Taxi, that refusal will never factor in "the rating of service quality"

Optimism indeed.

^^^"With your camera at the ready at all times, take a blurred photo of the Taxi speeding away?

Sure. That'll work.

"About 1,000 complaints on refusal to pick up customers have been lodged per month."

That's an average of 33 complaints every day of the year. (Just the one's that get reported)laugh.png

Absolutely outrageous.

My main problem is that they never use the meter so hopefully there is tick box on the app for use meter yes/no and then enter how much I paid. But the next move will to have one meter for thais and another for all others.

Just say by meter and point at it a few times, If the driver says something you just point and say meter, and if he refuse ask to get out, then he will turn it on.

Mobile app to rate taxi services now for downloads

BANGKOK: -- The Department of Land Transport (DLT) has now launched a mobile phone application for passengers to rate service of taxies they use.

Feedbacks from customers will be used to determine whether taxi operators should be allowed to another round of five percent increase in fare in the middle of this year.

Deputy transport minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith said the mobile application ‘DLT Check In’ has been launched and customers can now download the app on their smart phones.

He said the application could be helpful for passengers using taxi services to help improve service quality of taxis.

He said passengers can rate service quality of a taxi they use by submitting its licence number on the application, which can be downloaded for free.

Arkhom said all feedbacks would be used to determine whether taxis should be allowed another five percent fare rise in the middle of this year.

Early this year, the government has approved an eight percent fare hike for taxi nationwide.

The minister noted taxi drivers refusing to pick up passenger is the issue that people have mostly complaint to the ministry.

Meanwhile deputy director-general of the Department of Land Transport Mr Jirut Wisanjit said feedback from the application users will be used to improve taxi service.

He said awards will also be given to taxi drivers who receive high service rating and to the taxi cooperative (agency) in which they are member.

He said the number of complaints about taxies made through the department’s Hotline 1584 has gradually declined following the major reform on taxi system last year.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/mobile-app-rate-taxi-services-now-downloads

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-02-21

Yea a complaint line. Try using it. I tried last week for about 2 hours and no damn chance. No one was interested re taxis refusing fares and no meters. As soon as you say want an english speaking operator then thats the end of it. They do not care for falang and I should have realised this after being here a few years. Thought the new powers to be may have been serious about this problem but as usual is only lip service.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

"the app is activated after the start of a taxi trip" blink.png

"Arkom voiced optimism that the app would act as a deterrent for taxi cheats like ... denying passengers"

"He also said the monitor of taxi services via the app will lead to the rating of service quality."

Right.

If you never got in the Taxi, that refusal will never factor in "the rating of service quality"

Optimism indeed.

^^^"With your camera at the ready at all times, take a blurred photo of the Taxi speeding away?

Sure. That'll work.

"About 1,000 complaints on refusal to pick up customers have been lodged per month."

That's an average of 33 complaints every day of the year. (Just the one's that get reported)laugh.png

Absolutely outrageous.

It seems like you are trying to make the simplest little thing unnecessary complicated.

You "Activate" the app your self when the trip starts, it's nothing that happens automatically.

All taxis has their licens numbers painted on the side and doors of the taxi, you can easy take that picture even before you ask. Problem with speeding taxis is solved.

If he refuses, you register the trip send the picture of the door with licens painted, and complain. Repeat for next taxi.

Edited by Eaglekott

I was at Cabbage's and Condom's last night for dinner. A group of 5 tourists were negotiating with a taxi driver and were only being offered a flat rate. They came by meter taxi, at 90B and were being offered a flat rate to go back to their hotel at 300B. They got it down to 250, but then just said, forget it. The taxi followed them down the soi all the way to Suk. Honking at them, yelling at them through his window. All they wanted was the meter to be used.

All too common in Bangkok now.

• Like 2

I don't really understand the purpose of the app to be honest ...

Am I missing something here ? from what I can see all the app does is record your selection if the service was ok & the meter was used.

no selection for :

was the driver smelling like he'd been on Lao Khao all night ?

did the car smell like a garbage dump ?

did the driver jibber on about no money , no money ?

If it doesn't force the taxi to accept every fare as he's suppose too ... then it's useless. !!

Useless App imo. What bright spark thought of this .... cheesy.gif

How about put in New meters in the taxis that track them and automatically record the fares vs time and distance etc. Throw in a real time recorder that sends the video of the drivers words and actions for added safety. Anyone who turns off or tampers with the equipment will lose their license for life.

but how does the app monitor the 8 out of 10 taxis that refuse a pick up ? blink.png

It's not the route driven that's the problem it's the refusal of customers thats the issue ....

I really don't get it, with complaints like this. I have never been refused to be taken anywhere by a taxi driver in Thailand. I get in and close the door and tell him where I want to go. He takes me there and uses the meter. I see a lot of people ask the driver first before they get in, but I don't understand why they do that. I've never had a problem. I've lived here 26 years and use taxis all the time. 8 out of 10 taxis refuse a pickup? Seriously???

It never ceases to amaze me how some on this forum in light of repeated and widely accepted issues state "I never have a problem" and thus question the validity of many first hand reports....

Perhaps 8 out 10 taxis is a little extreme???... maybe, maybe not... for me its about 50% who refuse... but it depends where I am and where I'm heading.

Thus: 8 out of 10 taxis refusing a fare is very believable if someone is trying to depart from Soi 11 and 2 am or MBK early on a Friday evening...

So, why do people ask the driver first... the do so because its such a pain in the neck getting in a taxi, then having to get out again when they refuse.

• Like 1

I guess it depends on how often you use taxis and where. I use taxis up to 4 times a day.

Just today a taxi stopped on Ekamai - I wanted to go to Ramkhamhaeng. The driver wound down his window and of course refused my fare. He stopped about 20 metres further along the road and a couple got in. I jumped into a taxi behind him. The first taxi drove about 100 metres and I guess he had a change of mind and the couple had to get out.

This has also happened to me. I stood waiting at a bus stop but decided to jump in a taxi. He drove about 100 metres and decided he didn't want to go to my destination. I was asked to get out at a very inconvenient place.

I think you are really really lucky if you have never been refused to be taken somewhere. I have had up to 6 or 7 say no sometimes. This happens often outside Central Rama 9. I find the taxis there to be very picky about the destinations.

I think the refusal really depends on where you are and where you want to go.

Edited by petedk

.... Yes often in kowsan road area

Up here in Isaan (Khon Kaen and Mahasarakham bus stations; where they refuse to use the meters at a 100% occurrence rate), I'm concerned about physical violence from taxidrivers who detect you using the app.

Secondly, I'd like to see an actual screenshot of the place where you file a complaint about non-meter use. Or, is it just a general tick on service?

Thirdly, will the government fine the taxi driver based on this feedback, where meters are refused? Does it have teeth?

Edited by Fookhaht

I was at Cabbage's and Condom's last night for dinner. A group of 5 tourists were negotiating with a taxi driver and were only being offered a flat rate. They came by meter taxi, at 90B and were being offered a flat rate to go back to their hotel at 300B. They got it down to 250, but then just said, forget it. The taxi followed them down the soi all the way to Suk. Honking at them, yelling at them through his window. All they wanted was the meter to be used.

All too common in Bangkok now.

very easy to react to such incidents properly in nowadays times: take pictures, Videos with your mobile devices, post it on FB or the usual suspects, do not forget to remember the plate and licence number (if you can spot it) or take a pic of it too.

this would get so much attention from the public and even from the authorities, that you could expect the driver would lose his licence quickly or at least get a really hefty fine. And if more such incidents are being reported, I am sure many drivers will back off to a certain degree as being highlighted on FB or newspapers will make them lose face drastically and that's the worse thing that can happen to a Thai.

Just make sure to wear a bullet-proof vest in case the driver feels threatened by your demand to adhere to honest and law-abiding behaviour

Edited by siam2007