Microsoft tempts Dropbox users with free 100GB of OneDrive storage space

thai tech

Microsoft tempts Dropbox users with free 100GB of OneDrive storage space

one-drive-700x336.jpg

As the battle for cloud storage space gets ever more competitive, Microsoft is attempting to lure customers to its own cloud storage service by offering existing Dropbox users 100 GB of OneDrive storage space for free, if they make the switch.

Read more: http://tech.thaivisa.com/dropbox-onedrive-100gb-free/5182/

One terabyte external hard drives are pretty cheap these days which obviates the need to use third party cloud storage

The point of cloud storage is that you can access it from anywhere and from any device without carting an external hard drive around everywhere with you, and possibly losing it.

As such I suspect that the demand for cloud storage can only increase.

Anyone who has ever used a Microsoft product knows that they're buggy as hell (say what you will about Dropbox, but it just works). That and the fact that this offer is only valid for one year of storage and it goes right into the spam folder, to be deleted.

I could get it, but I won't.

As stated above, this is a one-year offer...and then after that, if you want to keep the 100 GB, it means paying MS... presumably, unless some other free offer comes along.

If I want to use and pay MS for my cloud storage, then that's fine.

But I don't want to move Gigs of stuff to OneDrive now, and then try to move them out/off at the end of the year. Anyone tried taking 100 GB off a cloud storage drive from Thailand lately???

This offer is a lot like their recent strategy of offering Office 365 for free for one year with new PC purchases. That's great....but then at the end of the first year, they want you to be on the hook for paying an annual license fee for MS Office 365 forever into the future. I'd rather just buy the new DVD or regular Office download every 5-10 years, and be done with it.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I could get it, but I won't.

As stated above, this is a one-year offer...and then after that, if you want to keep the 100 GB, it means paying MS... presumably, unless some other free offer comes along.

If I want to use and pay MS for my cloud storage, then that's fine.

But I don't want to move Gigs of stuff to OneDrive now, and then try to move them out/off at the end of the year. Anyone tried taking 100 GB off a cloud storage drive from Thailand lately???

This offer is a lot like their recent strategy of offering Office 365 for free for one year with new PC purchases. That's great....but then at the end of the first year, they want you to be on the hook for paying an annual license fee for MS Office 365 forever into the future. I'd rather just buy the new DVD or regular Office download every 5-10 years, and be done with it.

I tried and succeeded taking out 120gb out of a cloud storage (dropbox) it took a while 1-2 days but I got it.. now sending 100gb to cloud storage that is far more problematic.

I agree. But at least on my internet connection in BKK, I'm pretty sure it would take longer than 1-2 days continuously running to download 100 GB...

And then of course, as you point out, even longer to turn around and upload the same content to a different cloud storage destination elsewhere.

I got fiber optics.. so its ok.. but uploading here goes slow.. so that is the problem. For me it was just a backup i needed again. I did not need to upload it again. I had done that before and it took forever.

I got 25GB free for life recently from OneDrive for linking up my Android device to it.

I also have something similar from Google, and 2GB from Dropbox.

I don't use any of them very much because none have the function that I actually want: automatic syncing of entire folders (of my choice) between a PC and an Android device.