Does Thailand have traveller communities?

mrtoad

Back in the UK there are a number of sub cultures that move from place to place, associated with Pikeys, Gypsies etc. They generally don't pay taxes and live on the fringes of legality. Often engaged in dubious "building" work, they move around and are not welcomed in most towns or villages.

So, does Thailand have these types in Society, does Old Somchai hit the road in a fleet of old beat up buses and caravans, offering cheap building work? Is there a Thai equivalent?

• Like 1

Back in the UK.....there are all sorts of dubious characters going around.

In Thailand all people are thoroughbred and gypsies do not fit in.

Don't know about some farangs going around........but I give them the benefit of the doubt.

heard of one who is planning to move from KK to Pattaya-does this count???tongue.png

The people that sell furniture and other stuff and set up rides at Festivals.

Are they welcome in towns? The Pikeys in The UK are a menace

They are normally welcome so i guess they can't be classified as Pikeys. In the south they have travelling rug salesmen who might be called Pikeys because they are a menace but i assume they have a home so cannot be called Pikeys.

• Like 1

A lot of construction projects appear to have workers living on-site, so I guess these guys, probably Burmese or Khmer, move around from job to job. They're likely nomadic out of economic necessity rather than tradition, though.

Agreed on that, but i do wonder are their traditional communities as well?

I believe there are such groups which exist in Thailand, but from what I understand they don't move about much not in the classic pikey sense, but rather congregate in low cost condo's, and rather than sell clothes pegs and tell peoples fortunes as used to occur in the past, they now undertake dubious on line activities to hustle money for their mama noodle fix .

Do they like dags?

What dag? Do you mean Olivia Newton-John?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk