Survey: Is There a Clash between Thais and Tourists?

Scott

Thais vs Tourists  

426 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There have been a number of high profile instances of conflict in which tourists behave in a manner that is seen as inappropriate by Thais. In your opinion is Thailand becoming more conservative and reactive toward tourists or are tourists behaving worse than they did in the past?

Links that might be of interest:

Where to draw the line for foreign visitors:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/801348-thai-editorial-where-to-draw-the-line-for-foreign-visitors/

Manual to be given to Chinese tourists:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/801335-government-gives-etiquette-manuals-to-chinese-tourists/

Please feel free to post a comment on this issue.

In general I think Thais hate all foreigners. However, they love their expertise and money. They wish you would drop your wallet at the airport and get the hell out of here...

Lovely if we could do that in London, I would be so happy ! Maybe I'll petition my MP

• Like 1

The fact that the government ordered all Thai national parks to charge foreigners 10! times the entrance-fee says it all to me.

They only need our money. And if you buy something there isn't even a bin to help you get rid of it.

Same with smokers, throw a cigarette on the street and you pay 2000 but don't think they will offer you an ashtray and good place to smoke (like on Changi airport for example).

Or look at the BBC-movie about Suvarnabhumi, it's totally fake! Never ever have i seen an immigration officer smile to me or saying "welcome to Thailand".

Chinese tourists might annoy the Thai because they are very rude and selfish, even more then Thai themselves.

• Like 1

Please vote

---------------------------

Not worth voting.

The poll is far to simplistic and not really relevant to the causes of the problem between 'tourists' and the average Thai.

The situation is complex, but some points to consider are:

• Many tourists spend more money in one day than an average Thai earns in a month. This income disparity makes many Thais feel inferior to the tourists, and the Thais, quite frankly, resent that. This feeling of inferiority is often inflamed when Tourists , often unconciously, flaunt their relative wealth. Many Thai vendors, working long hours for a small salary compared to the tourist, see the tourist parading their "wealth" about in tourist areas.
  • Many tourists so not attempt to consider the Thai cultural point of view ...... to many Thais that shows them to be stupid, arrogant, and pompous.
  • And also, many "tourists" that Thais meet in "Tourist venues" are drunks, loud mouthed and uncouth, and hardly good ambassadors for thier fellow country men and women. Unfortunately that is what many Thais regard as the "average" farang. One 'bad apple" spils the whole bushel ..... and that 'bad apple" is what many Thais see as their first example of the normal Farang.

i could go on, but enough said.

And they make no attempt to understand.. The Thais I mean.. I have lost count of adult students who just have no idea about anywhere. East or West. Telling them about the cost of living in the UK and I get disbelief when I show them data from websites etc they start to realise that we are not 'really' rich like they imagined. I get them to start working out percentages and even with higher salaries in UK the higher cost of living just eats it .

• Like 1

There is no simple answer to this as it is a complex subject

Education - lack of understanding by the masses of just how important tourism and tourists are - understanding how going it alone would be a massive fail for Thailand - jealousy - stupidity - inferiority complex - unable to grasp how insignificant they are on the world stage - we tolerate you but really don't want you hear unless you are paying more than us for everything - don't understand the word "equality" - no you cannot own anything hear otherwise we become less (inferiority)

It simply means that due to lack of education - a failure of social advancement - greed - corruption - inequality - they simply tolerate us as long as they have control and are being handsomely rewarded - probably quite childish - retarded and have failed to advance over the last 30 years

A motorbike taxi driver friend of mine got talking one day and I asked him how he would do if have no falang in Pattaya, his answer was that most of his customers were Thai so it wouldn't really matter - total failure to understand why he had so many Thai lady customers - so he did not regard falang customers as important

If kids in my school in year seven had come up with the questions in this survey they would have had a lecture on objectivity and told to try again. For adults to do this is simply absurd and just feeds the baying hounds of TVF who want to have a go at everything Thai. The site and its moderators once again look only interested in ads with no attempt to enhance quality.

If you go to Burma now you will feel how tourists to Thailand felt 20 years ago. Everybody seemed so friendly and everyone smiled and wanted to help. It was nice to be in such a place, tourists were amazed by what they saw and the locals seemed genuinely happy that tourists were interested in their country.

Fast forward twenty years and nothing is left in Thailand tourist resorts except cynicism, all tourists are seen as cash cows by everyone from the top government to lowliest rice farmer. Tourists feel they are barely tolerated because they have money, and the locals have hardened beyond belief, gone are the open and friendly smiles, and all that is left is greed, greed , greed and more greed.

That said if you leave all the tourist areas and venture out into the countryside that sense of amazement that could be found everywhere 20 years ago is still there.

According to my wife and her family it is getting worse for foreigners in Thailand. She doesn't even want to go back home anymore because she doesn't feel we are safe there. This is a marked change as she has always looked forward to her annual trip home.

honestly and I don't mean this any insulting way - but it is time Thai people realised they are not what they think they are - if they want to play on the big stage then they need to do "big stage things" and I'm not talking about anything political - the first step to improvement is understanding where you are

They talk about hub this and hub that - in reality they are hub nothing - all the lip service means nothing on the big stage

It comes down to education which I posted earlier - in the evolution of society for the last 30 odd years they should have done better, unfortunately they have been raped by corruption and greed and exploitation from the like of Thaksin who is now using his riches that he got from the Thai people to avenge and disrupt

So how is this on topic - well it is, because they look at us from other parts of the world were we have overcome most of the issues that currently exist in Thailand - they see us as superior and a threat and treat us with contempt and yet if they only realised - they could have had it all, the weird thing is that apart from farming they are basically a cheap labour camp making stuff for other countries.......time to get out of the inferior cycle - progress and start doing things for themselves

Get into the world stage Thailand - allow the purchase of land and property - allow foreigners to work here and see how a competitive environment gives people incentive to compete rather than stagnate hiding behind stupid rules and going nowhere for 5 decades

The ripping off and trying to suck dry has run it's course - yes we have grown wise to it and the Indians will too - and the reason I say that is because of the amount of taxis and women that sit around hotels where Indian people stay - they are naïve and green and are the easiest to rip off - how many baht taxis have you seen almost do a handbrake turn to pick up 5x Indians on pattaya 2nd road because they don't realise that it is a 10baht fare each to where they are going - it's like flies round s%%%%......................again on topic because we westerners have sussed it out and generally know the score either through experience or being told from someone with experience - so again there is an incline for Thais to avoid us because we are not easily scammed

anyway rant over - Thais need to move forward and realise that the nice false smiles are not working anymore and the undertone of anger greed and extortion showing through will eventually destroy tourism and they will be left with nothing

Education

Edited by smedly
  • Like 2

Yes, there is a clash but not as listed on the poll. There is a clash as scams, double pricing and exploitation of tourists to the point where it's commonplace is apalling. Foreigners can't help but look down on Thais in general when we can't go anywhere without a tuk tuk trying to rip us off or a taxi wanting 300 baht to go anywhere. It's in your farang face on a dail basis, and it leaves a lasting negative impression on Thaland as it makes them look like desperate or shady people, even though some of us that live know there are plenty of really good Thai people. Even my girlfriend and Thai friends admit Thailand has a problem with ripping off tourists and expats, but no one seems to have an answer on how to fix it because the Thai education doesn't promote critical thinking and Thai's don't really want and or know how to challenge the status quo.

• Like 1

Might have been best not have the options either-or. I wanted to check off both of the last two ones: more people coming in from places who are not used to travelling overseas and the effect of social media (which is what I eventually went with by a mental toss of the coin). Can be more than one factor at play here....

East meets west. Lots of noise with the underclasses moving upward.

Violence and unwanted behavior is on the rise. Hooligans' behavior is a good example (lately the Rotterdam's team ugly behavior in Rome).

It is all about the money that tourists have and that Thais do not have. Tourists are low hanging fruit; easier than taking school seriously, or taking job seriously. On the other hand, Thai culture does not include any path for the bottom third of the society to better themselves. One thing is sure; as the economy gets worse and layoffs increase, crime against tourists will go up. Wily Sutton, a famous bank robber in the U.S. many years ago was asked by a reporter why he robbed banks. Sutton did not have to think about the answer and replied, "That's where the money is."