Renthal Grips: Overrated?

WingNut

I have been using Renthal grips on my CBR250R. I bought a bunch of them a while ago from overseas when someone was raving about them. They are OK, but expensive and the ones I got were designed for motocross bikes so I had to cut parts of them off to put them onto a street bike and they don't fit so well. Frankly I am tired of them and am thinking about putting something different on there now. The Honda factory ones have no grip so don't really want to go back to factory grips. Has anyone found any inexpensive options for some nice tacky grips made in Thailand or China that are available here? It seems like one shouldn't have to buy something like grips from the UK to get something decent. I would think there must be something decent and lower priced being made in Asia by now?

On the perimeter of Khlong Thom market in Chinatown there is a scooter modify shop (not Bikers but don't know the name).

They have real and knock-off Protaper and other brands.

Grips have 2 concerns: cushioning and wet grip.

Many of the fake/cheap rubber grips are just as soft as the legit ones so I get those.

Foam, leather, pleather, and hard rubber grips are junk since they get slippery or are uncomfortable.

• Like 1

Some grips are btter than others, of course, but even higher-end ones might not be to your liking. I've got a set of Driven D-3 Alumitech Alloy grips, and I didn't like them at all- the combination of the hard aluminum pieces and the soft rubber just felt strange- it might have been better if I had smaller hands. I'm happy with the stock grips.

Worst $45 + shipping I've ever spent on an accessory- I probably still have them somewhere- maybe I should see if they'll fit on my Grom.;)

mA7akii6rnCzkCeEVCx9XNg.jpg

Yes, Protaper is for non barend bikes although you could cut the ends off and add barends. Anyway I am sure that no name shop has sportbike grips too and the Bikers shop nearby too. Likit Racing might also.

Look up the Thai word for "parts" in Google translate and search that with your bike.

I'm sure many Thai shops will show up in the results.

• Like 1

Some grips are btter than others, of course, but even higher-end ones might not be to your liking. I've got a set of Driven D-3 Alumitech Alloy grips, and I didn't like them at all- the combination of the hard aluminum pieces and the soft rubber just felt strange- it might have been better if I had smaller hands. I'm happy with the stock grips.

Worst $45 + shipping I've ever spent on an accessory- I probably still have them somewhere- maybe I should see if they'll fit on my Grom.wink.png

mA7akii6rnCzkCeEVCx9XNg.jpg

I use the driven D3 and find they fit my hands just right...the old grips used to give me numb hands so it might be that these cancel the vibes out, not sure.

I have used the $16.00 foam grips on every bike since 1976 They are just too comfy & cut the vibration down to the nub & last about 4 years. I have other cool looking mods on my ride but my grips are accented by a throttle master cruise control & that is all I need. I never heard anyone complain about the comfort or longevity of the regular foam grips. That & they have been around forever. That in itself lets you know they are around yet today for a reason. But some people like looks over comfort. I don't care to have my hands falling asleep from hard cool looking grips. But to each it's own!