Apple Cider Vinegar with "the mother"

orkid

I have used the "mother" to make vinegar from leftover wine that we did not finish (but not here in Thailand where wine is too expensive). I had a crock that was partially covered with cheesecloth and would dump in leftover wine: some tasted good, some not....

Oh, and I think I saw it somewhere in the last couple of weeks, but I cannot remember where. If I see it, I will post again.

I am curious what kind of wine you used for that.

I did not try to make a specific type of vinegar - just one for red wine and one for white wine. I didn't do it last year, but for a couple years before that. I did not use a specific wine, but just put in what we had leftover at the end of the night. I just looked around on the internet and picked someone's post that seemed okay then tried to do it. If I remember, one needs to "feed" it to keep it going, then when I had enough and waited for a couple of weeks, I closed it up. I haven't died yet so I think it worked out okay, but, of course, I tried a small teaspoon to see if it tasted okay before using it on stuff. The red wine one was pretty strong, but I probably had a lot of Syrah in that. For the white wine vinegar, it most likely had Chardonnay, Viognier, and Sauvignon Blanc. I have not tried to do any sparkling wine though I really like champagne vinegar.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

This is an old topic.

I went to Tops and the price was 475 baht for around 1 liter of Bragg apple cider vinegar and 460 baht for Healthy mate apple cider vinegar

Does anybody know where I can buy cheaper? 

Is there a difference in quality between the two brands?