Information for Visas

Hello.....Need help in regards to visas please.

My first post but been following the forum for 9 months.

I am an Australian citizen, 66 years, semi retired. Hoping I am in the right forum.

I have been to Thailand several times but usually not requiring a visa. My question.

Getting 1 entry which allows me to stay up to 60 days. To get this visa does it require you to have a return ticket? I beleive you can extend it for another 30 days if required. But if visa requires a return ticket then most probably if extend the airline company will charge a high fee for changing return date.

Some more info if someone can help please, regarding person coming from Thailand to Australia.

For a Thai person to get a visa without sponsorship how much funds of their own they need to show?

I beleive when they apply for a visa ( with or without sponsorship) they get a maximum of 3 months. For a second visa I beleive they can get up to a year stay. As I am on a part aged pension (still part employed) if the person gets a 1 year visa does that affect my pension as it might be deemed as a de facto relationship,

I know I will get some smart remarks, but they won't help me. I read so much about Thai visas and confused I was and confused still am.

Thank to all that offer answers to my queries.

I can't help you on the 2nd part of your question.

One question, where in Oz are you? If you are in or near Brisbane, the Consulate there is very good... they will turn your application around in a couple of hours...

The 60 day visa is a Tourist Visa, and is very very easy to obtain. There is NO requirement for an airline ticket when applying for the visa. The Visa validity is 3 months from time of issue. Which means you need to enter Thailand within that 3 month period. Cost is 45 bucks, for a single entry Tourist Visa

I have had a heap of those Visas, and I have not been asked at the check in for a forward ticket, once you point out that there is a visa in your passport. I believe, that with a visa in your PP, Thailand has no requirement for a forward ticket... I have been asked for a forward ticket, when traveling without a visa. That seems to be SOP, for all airlines leaving here. If you have a concern, grab an el cheapo Air Asia flight to PNH or similar, then just throw it away....

That has been my experiences over the years, and I am unaware, as to any changes.

Edited by winnerinsix

Hi winnerinsix,

Thank you for your information. By the way I am in Melbourne. I obtained a single entry visa last December, but I was back in five weeks. In the application form it says duration of stay, so I presume you give a day within 60 days of your intention of arriving In Thailand, and then if you decide to stay over the 60 days you apply for an extension while in Thailand. If you tell them you might stay more than 60 days they tell you you need 2 entries.

On another question that just came to mind. I am going back on 28th march and return on 28th april. I did not apply for any visa, but now I realize I am over there 32 days. Will this cause a problem or just let it be. I got a return flight.

TGhank you for your help.

You can apply for a 30 day extension of the 30 day visa exempt entry you will get on arrival at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht.

If you don't get the extension you will need to a pay fine for 2 day of overstay that will be 1000 baht plus there is a risk of being caught with an overstay before you grt to the airport.

How long do you want to be in Thailand for ? If longer than 60 days maybe you should get a Non O . it is good for 90 day.

Check the price of Tourist visa and Non O maybe better with non O than paying over stay fine .

You can't get a non o visa anymore 90 days , has been stop you have to get a retirement visa now 12 month .

I am going for one now and it is not that easy , hop to have it next week and has to be done out of Canberra not Melbourne.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How long do you want to be in Thailand for ? If longer than 60 days maybe you should get a Non O . it is good for 90 day.

Check the price of Tourist visa and Non O maybe better with non O than paying over stay fine .

You can't get a non o visa anymore 90 days , has been stop you have to get a retirement visa now 12 month .
I am going for one now and it is not that easy , hop to have it next week and has to be done out of Canberra not Melbourne.

Nonsense !

There is no such thing as a "retirement visa".

Non Immigrant "O" visas are easily obtained by those who qualify for such a visa.

Edited by nzexpat

Melbourne is the only honorary consulate that will not issue a non-o. Reports are that Brisbane will and possibly others.

Thank you all for your kind response.

Ubonjoe is that right that Melb Thai consulate don't issue all visas. So by me living in Melb if I need a visa like a non o visa, I have to apply at the Brisbane consulate. Would they issue a visa? Won't they refer me to Melb Consul?

You can apply for a 30 day extension of the 30 day visa exempt entry you will get on arrival at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht.

If you don't get the extension you will need to a pay fine for 2 day of overstay that will be 1000 baht plus there is a risk of being caught with an overstay before you grt to the airport.

Ubonjoe: How does the mix of money in the saving account marry up with monthly income. For example marriage to Thai requiring 400 K in the bank or 40K a month income. Now for example if I had only 200K in the bank how much monthly income would I have to show? 20K ? Not sure it works this way but will subscribe to your learned information and advice. Thanks

Thank you all for your kind response.

Ubonjoe is that right that Melb Thai consulate don't issue all visas. So by me living in Melb if I need a visa like a non o visa, I have to apply at the Brisbane consulate. Would they issue a visa? Won't they refer me to Melb Consul?

They would do it for you at Brisbane. They don't care where in Australia you live.

• Like 1

Ubonjoe: How does the mix of money in the saving account marry up with monthly income. For example marriage to Thai requiring 400 K in the bank or 40K a month income. Now for example if I had only 200K in the bank how much monthly income would I have to show? 20K ? Not sure it works this way but will subscribe to your learned information and advice. Thanks

A combination of income and money in the bank is not allowed for an extension of stay based upon marriage.

It is only allowed for extensions based upon retirement.

poweratradio, on 23 Feb 2015 - 02:24, said:
ubonjoe, on 22 Feb 2015 - 09:42, said:

You can't mix income and savings for a Marriage extension.

It's either 400K in a Thai bank OR 40K per month income.

You can only use a combination of income and savings for the retirement extension