Asian Connections To Cnx Airport

meadish_sweetball

Some friends are coming over from the US and are trying to plan their flying schedule in terms of budget and time. If possible they'd like to try and redeem airmiles to cut the costs for the trip.

One thing they asked was what international flights there are coming in directly to CNX from other Asian destinations, and I realized I don't have updated info anymore.

Does anyone know the entire list? I tried searching but did not come up with anything useful.

TIA :o

Meadish

Some friends are coming over from the US and are trying to plan their flying schedule in terms of budget and time. If possible they'd like to try and redeem airmiles to cut the costs for the trip.

One thing they asked was what international flights there are coming in directly to CNX from other Asian destinations, and I realized I don't have updated info anymore.

Does anyone know the entire list? I tried searching but did not come up with anything useful.

TIA :o

Meadish

Taipei, Kunming, Luang Phrabang/Vientiane, Rangoon/Mandalay, Singapore. I saw on an inflight magazine (I think 1,2Go) of future direct flights to Bangalore and Hong Kong, but I'm not sure if that ever came about. Don't know about Tokyo either.

Chiang Mai International Airport (IATA: CNX, ICAO: VTCC) is located in Chiang Mai, Thailand.

Chiang Mai International Airport is the major gateway to the north of Thailand.

As of 2005, 10 airlines are on service and more than 2,000,000 passengers, 15,000 flights and 16,000 metric tons of cargo are handled.

Here is a list of airlines that serve Chiang Mai International Airport:

Air Asia

Air Mandalay

Bangkok Airways

China Airlines (Taipei)

Lao Aviation

Mandarin Airlines

Nok Air

One-Two-GO

Phuket Air

Silk air (singapore)

Tiger airways (singapore)

Thai Airways International

Valu air (singapore) :o

and..

http://www.airportthai.co.th/airportnew/ch...html/index.html

Bangkok Airways flies non-stop to Jinghong, China.

Someone mentioned Luang Prabang/Vientiane and Yangon/Mandalay. You can fly non-stop to and from Luang Prabang but all flights to/from Vientiane require a change of plnes in either Bangkok or Luang Prabang. The flight schedule to Myanmar is a loop is goes from Chiang Mai to Mandalay, then on to Yangon and then returns to CM. It's not very convenient either as it's only once a week, Thursday's I think.

The only Airline flying to CNX with direct connections from the US is China Airlines with a change of planes in Taipei. They seem to be partnered with Northwest and Alaska Airlines for mileage.

Meadish, they need to check closely. The Shanghai -CNX flight has one stopover. It's BKK. So, it's not direct. There must be other examples.

Technically that is a direct flight if it's the same flight number all the way (even with a change of planes). No stopover = nonstop. :o

I would love to fly to/from the USA into CNX and bypass BKK, but I have never done it because it was always much more expensive than flying into BKK and then connecting to CNX. And this was even though China Air had two flights a week from Taipai to CNX and then connecting to exactly the same flight to LAX, but the last time I went was a couple of years ago. I would really like to know if their pricing has changed since then.

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know if flights between CNX and Kunming have been suspended? Just did an online fare search and the cheapest I could find was about 18,000 Baht routed CNX>BKK>Kunming. No more Thai Airlines or China Eastern service to Kunming from CNX? TIA

Does anyone know if flights between CNX and Kunming have been suspended?

I never read any formal announcement that THAI was discontinuing their twice-weekly non-stop flights between Chiang Mai and Kunming but I certainly cannot find any trace of these flights in their online timetable.

I really wish that AirAsia would adopt the CNX-KMG route as has been rumoured for several years now...

better close this old Zombie-thread and start a new one, as it will confuse members.

almost nothing is same as it was back in 2006.

many of the international connections have been suspended.

you can easily check the available connections and flights yourself using this website and search for the CNX departures/arrivals.

you can even find out which kind of aircraft is being used (I use this website always before making a booking on AirAsia, because I prefer to sit in a brandnew A-320 rather than a 25-year old B-737 - and in 90% of the cases, the information given is correct).

here you go:

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Home/home.do