Samsung Note 8 Battery Sucks

LuckyLew

So I have had enough of the crap battery on my NOTE8

Been watching youtube video for 5 minutes and 50% of the battery was drained

Just using WIFI in condo with no other apps open

Just a waste of time trying to use this thing

Last night was sitting on the crapper and read three small threads in TV and 65% of battery drained

So I am gonna get a new 7 or 10 inch tablet

Here are the specs for the NOTE8

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxynote/note8.0/specifications.html

Can someone tell me what is draining the battery the most?

and give recomendations for a 7 or 10 inch tablet what will allow more than 10 minutes of watching youtube before the battery dies

Thanks in advance

LL

I have the same unit - GT-N5100 and the battery is quite good. OS / Upgrade Android 4.4.2

Switch off WiFi and Bluetooth if not necessary or out of range (even mobile data, if not used)

Have you downloaded many apps? How old is your device?

Try resetting your device to factory settings (Did same to my friends unit for the same issue and it solved it)

Some apps are real Battery killers.

I also use Clean Master & Battery Doctor.

And some useful tips, if necessary.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tablets-in-the-enterprise/how-and-when-to-charge-your-tablet-battery/

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/features/how-to-prolong-battery-life-on-your-smartphone-or-tablet-600688

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/keep-androids-battery-healthy-tips/

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/

Edited by ravip

I have a GT-N5100 also. Battery life seems OK to me. I only charge it every 4 or 5 days, but I do use an app that turns off the wifi automatically when it's in standby mode and turns it on again when it wakes up. I also turned off Bluetooth and GPS.

I had mine for almost two years and no issues with the battery whatsoever. Can watch YouTube over wifi for two hours and it drains maybe 25%.

Check how long your battery lasts in airplane mode,just playing music etc.

Maybe just time to change the battery.

If you go into settings, I belive under battery you will find wich process used the most, I think. Normally this should be the screen. Just dim it a little.

Maybe you have, for instance, location services ( thanks to Google) turned on... GPS. Try downloading battery doctor app and see what happens. I turned off push notifications, turn off Wifi or cellular service when I don't need it.

As an aside, I finally repaired my iPhone after 18 months in the drawer and had battery problems. I have them sorted after an hour on internet.

I have a GT-N5100 also. Battery life seems OK to me. I only charge it every 4 or 5 days, but I do use an app that turns off the wifi automatically when it's in standby mode and turns it on again when it wakes up. I also turned off Bluetooth and GPS.

Can you please name this app .... Sounds really useful

I have one too. Have had it for almost 2 years, and no real battery issues, though it is not great on battery life. As mentioned, check apps that are draining it, and you might consider one of those power bricks if you don't have access to electricity or a computer to use the usb charger. I think it's a great unit, better than the ipad mini because it's also a giant smart phone if you ever forget your normal phone. wink.png

Can someone tell me what is draining the battery the most?

Go into settings, and in the device section you will see "Battery".

This shows you the time active on the battery, and the percentage of battery used by each application during this time.

If you have the GPS model and do not use GPS then turn it off as this can drain the battery.

Likewise a weak WiFi signal can drain the battery, found this out in a couple of hotels recently.

The occasional restart is also a good idea as it will clear active applications. I recently had a hotel booking app that was using a high percentage of the battery, restart fixed that.

Turn down the screen brightness, sit in the shade.

Had mine for just over a year, I charge once a day, use for e-mail, news, and occasional web browsing and it normally stays above 50% battery.

Force the flashplayer off in the apps list - check it after using videos. Flash does this often even on PC's. Wifes phone was losing 4% an hour plugged into the charger when not even in use. Use the app list and kill games and stuff non system related that cont. to run in the back ground after use. Flash is one of the worset offenders for running wild even if it seems to be working proper when you view a video - it is afterward that it cont. to run eating up the battery. They would patch it but this problem with flash has been around on PC's and laptops for years and still happens depending on the video that started it. She can now leave the wifi running without a problem and use location. It is the free games and flash on her phone even when not in use that killed her batt.

Switch the machine off and remove the pen. Then using a very thin piece of plastic, thinner than a credit card and use it to slide around the edge of the back cover. The back can then be pulled off.

Once the back cover has been removed remove the small piece of tape that is over the battery connection and then using a small screwdriver push the battery connector off from the battery. Wait 10 minutes and then reconnect the battery, put the tape back over it again and then replace the rear cover.

now plug into a charger and leave until its been fully charged.

Note the battery percentage remaining before removing the cover and note it again before starting to charge it.

There is no such thing as a Note 8!

Google it ...

Did a factory reset and now the battery is running a lot better

Thanks for the advise

Will also look at battery doctor app

What you are talking about is the Note 8.0 ! As I said before there is no such thing as a Note 8 since the latest model is the Note 4 ;-) Edited by bigwhitewarrior

Google it ...

Thanks for the advise

What you are talking about is the Note 8.0 ! As I said before there is no such thing as a Note 8 since the latest model is the Note 4 ;-)

Everyone else seems to have understood what I have and have helped me

It is only you who is stuck on .0

Such is life

• Like 1

Google it ...

Thanks for the advise

What you are talking about is the Note 8.0 ! As I said before there is no such thing as a Note 8 since the latest model is the Note 4 ;-)

Everyone else seems to have understood what I have and have helped me

It is only you who is stuck on .0

Such is life

I'm not stuck on anything ..just if you post something make sure you get you numbers in order luv ;-)

cheesy.gif Yeah, I went into a shop last week to buy a new case for mine, and I asked "do you have any cases for the Samsung Galaxy Note 8? ---blank stares all around. Then, one sales clerk perked up "Ooohh, you mean the Galaxy Note 8.zero?

I said yes, and thankfully a crisis was averted. biggrin.png

Switch the machine off and remove the pen. Then using a very thin piece of plastic, thinner than a credit card and use it to slide around the edge of the back cover. The back can then be pulled off.

Once the back cover has been removed remove the small piece of tape that is over the battery connection and then using a small screwdriver push the battery connector off from the battery. Wait 10 minutes and then reconnect the battery, put the tape back over it again and then replace the rear cover.

Note the battery percentage remaining before removing the cover and note it again before starting to charge it.

I should perhaps have mentioned that on mine the battery percentage was showing 14% before I'd unplugged the battery and as soon as it was switched back on again it showed 78%

This procedure was similar to having fitted a brand new battery into my Note 3

There's a video clip of how to do it and I was slightly nervous about going inside the back cover, however the battery life was so bad at that point I was ready for dumping the whole unit and wondered what to buy in its place. 7 months later and its still operating with a great battery life.

the procedure does something along the lines of resetting the original memory/charging capacity of the battery.

I should perhaps have mentioned that on mine the battery percentage was showing 14% before I'd unplugged the battery and as soon as it was switched back on again it showed 78%

This procedure was similar to having fitted a brand new battery into my Note 3

There's a video clip of how to do it and I was slightly nervous about going inside the back cover, however the battery life was so bad at that point I was ready for dumping the whole unit and wondered what to buy in its place. 7 months later and its still operating with a great battery life.

the procedure does something along the lines of resetting the original memory/charging capacity of the battery.

I saw using google search a few others have done the disconnect battery then reconnect and it improved the battery life

Personally I would rather note open the NOTE 8 as I have 10 thumbs

After factory reset battery has improved greatly .... just a hassle to reload everything and set this and that up again

At least it is usable now

Can you please name this app .... Sounds really useful

I use "Wifi Automatic" but there are several others on the Play Store that seem to do a similar job. They all come up in a search.