The Best Clubs In Cm - Check This Out

Chiangmai Foxy

http://www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/viewfa.php?id=1535

nice review from the guys at cm news.

good to see others share the same view as me of bubble and spicy.

btw is mandalay aka sharkeys,if it is,its also well down the list of top places.imo

im back in december for a month or so with friends,and want to check out more of these places.

how do you guys rate fashion house,bang rak,monkey club as iv not been.

my top places in cm iv been to are.

warm-up

volume 1

horizon club

rooftop bar to start(how does rasta bar compare?)

a few bars on the peak

cm saloon

johns place

lucky ok with a decent crowd

hot shots ok for a one off

worst places

bubble

spicy

foxy lady

queen vic(boring)

Many of wot you mention are just plain old simple bars and could in no way be described as "clubs" (John's Place for example)

of course i know johns place isnt a club!!!

the thread states best clubs,so i posted a link to a review of the best and worst of c mai's clubs.

i merely stated what places i like in cm,and included a few bars also.quite simple

So why did you start a thread about the best clubs and then wander off into talking about bars.

The fact is that the majority of those what you have named in the opening post are bars and not clubs.

It would have been closer to the point if the question was "where are the best palaces where one can go to pour something down ones throat.

And what are you really looking for ? Queen Vic "boring" and why exactly is that. It doesn't attemmt to sell itself as some "go-go joint with semi naked naked young ladies swing from poles (does it ?)

Sorry to be pedatic, but, you started the thread. :o

Edited by john b good

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a rather sad description, I mean sad on the part of a magazine. Apparently ladyboys reflect badly on a place? CM News would rather have them stay at home or ply the streets and not interfere with their high class clubbing?? Is this a call for sexist discrimination at the door? Like some clubs "No Ladyboys Allowed"?

Sorry, but I agree that men pretending to be women should be persona non grata (except for Bambina).

If they would agree to wear a huge penis patch over their breasts and mind their manners, I wouldn't object to letting them in though. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

And what are you really looking for ? Queen Vic "boring" and why exactly is that. It doesn't attemmt to sell itself as some "go-go joint with semi naked naked young ladies swing from poles (does it ?)

It's boring cause it is boring. :o

Edited by chuchok

i like lucky bar!. too bad it closed down and doubt the old workers are going to be there when it re-opens. and the talk of it changing to something along the lines of Spicy???

:o

Does anyone know anymore regarding Lucky? I always enjoyed stopping in for a beer. I take it this happend during the rainy season? Thanks for any information

It's boring cause it is boring. :o

thanks chuchok,glad im not the only one.

maybe its because im only 27 years old that it doesnt appeal to me.

it seems to be frequented by mainly over 40's out for a relaxed quiet drink.

i imagine its popular with expat brits,as its the closest iv seen to english pub in cm

i like lucky bar!. too bad it closed down and doubt the old workers are going to be there when it re-opens. and the talk of it changing to something along the lines of Spicy???

Does anyone know anymore regarding Lucky? I always enjoyed stopping in for a beer. I take it this happend during the rainy season? Thanks for any information

I know of the owner, well the Aunt of the owner actually. Will soon ask her to see when it reopens and report back ASAP.

I know of the owner, well the Aunt of the owner actually. Will soon ask her to see when it reopens and report back ASAP.

Well, I can report back that Lucky Bar will be opening sometime in Oct. And the old workers will be still there. They may open as late as Spicy, more later.

Well, I can report back that Lucky Bar will be opening sometime in Oct. And the old workers will be still there. They may open as late as Spicy, more later.

It will have to be a he_ll of a lot better that it was before. Both Lucky (Kotchasan) and Charming had about as much ambience as the morgue in Tombstone.

Quite frankly they were both nothing more than dumps IMHO (but I'm sure that there will be some that thought they were the greatest thing since they started putting beer in bottles)

O dear, we certainly didn't want to be in any way derogatory towards kratoey, Chanchao. We merely stated that they were there. There is nothing wrong with describing the clientele, surely. One of my best friends is a kratoey, and he (he still insists on being he) loves going to Bubbles with his mates. Citylife is not in anyway a prejudiced publication. I think that we have demonstrated that rather well over the years with our rather controvertial articles about various sub-cultures of Chiang Mai. Hope this clears things up.

> i like lucky bar!. too bad it closed down and doubt the old workers are

> going to be there when it re-opens.

All the old staff were having a birthday party for the owner last Friday at 'Can Do', the 'Experitainment' Empower bar. So chances are the old cast will return.

---

SaowJiangMai, thanks for that statement!! ( Still... if you mention something in an enummeration of other bad qualities then it has to be assumed that they're all bad right... : "noxious cocktail or beer, awash with ladyboys, clumsy tourists exhibiting rave acumen, free lance pros hiding in dark corners " ) But anyway thanks for clearing that up. ...and indeed freelance pros could be assumed to be a good thing also, especially in dark corners... :D

Are you working on a razor sharp expose on the current mood in CHianG Mai after the coup? I hope so. :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

Edited by chanchao

All the old staff were having a birthday party for the owner last Friday at 'Can Do', the 'Experitainment' Empower bar. So chances are the old cast will return.

---

SaowJiangMai, thanks for that statement!! ( Still... if you mention something in an enummeration of other bad qualities then it has to be assumed that they're all bad right... : "noxious cocktail or beer, awash with ladyboys, clumsy tourists exhibiting rave acumen, free lance pros hiding in dark corners " ) But anyway thanks for clearing that up. ...and indeed freelance pros could be assumed to be a good thing also, especially in dark corners... :D

Are you working on a razor sharp expose on the current mood in CHianG Mai after the coup? I hope so. :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

It was a great party as well, even got to grafitti the toilet walls (its allowed)

the old staff will be at the new Lucky Bar, so its a non issue.

Edited by Donnyboy

---

Cheers,

Chanchao

It was a great party as well, even got to grafitti the toilet walls (its allowed)

the old staff will be at the new Lucky Bar, so its a non issue.

any ideas yet on what the closing time will be on the new lucky bar/club.

hope it not just another spicy.any new name been mentioned yet and opening date?

• 4 weeks later...
Opening date: 'soon'. So make that before high season. My guess is they need another month.

> It was a great party as well, even got to grafitti the toilet walls (its allowed)

:-) Yes, liked that too. :-)

so,has the new lucky bar had its opening yet?

if so,any name,closing time,type of music,class of people etc

thanks

Opening date: 'soon'. So make that before high season. My guess is they need another month.

> It was a great party as well, even got to grafitti the toilet walls (its allowed)

:-) Yes, liked that too. :-)

so,has the new lucky bar had its opening yet?

if so,any name,closing time,type of music,class of people etc

thanks

no I havent heard due to the fact Im back in NZ for a month or so. Will be back in CM by late Nov, so will get the run down then. It will probably be old news then.

Since this thread has been revived, I thought I would say that anyone who hasn't been to Warm up in the past few months should get it out. A lot more room now and the name doesn't match the climate as much. Seems like the have a much better Aircon system going. Of course the lounge is still the place to be...

Also I was told by some Thai friends that Fashion has stopped doing techno, cause of a lack of interest. Is this true?

Yeah, its a pitty. With everyone so keen on dj'ing these days, you'd think they could be a little more adventurous than hip-hop. When horizon first opened, their dj threw in an hour of really good techno, and even some old classics... but last time i was there it was all hip-hop.

Is the Bubbles dj still there since the renovation?? Shit place but good music when he's on form.

Yeah, its a pitty. With everyone so keen on dj'ing these days, you'd think they could be a little more adventurous than hip-hop. When horizon first opened, their dj threw in an hour of really good techno, and even some old classics... but last time i was there it was all hip-hop.

Is the Bubbles dj still there since the renovation?? Shit place but good music when he's on form.

Re. Bubble; There are actually 3 DJs there; DJs Wit, Chang, & Jerd. And they are all still there.

Dont rekon its sh*t until it fills up with Zionists! :o

• 3 weeks later...