Thai officials ousted for fraud over govt rice deals

webfact

Officials ousted for fraud over govt rice deals
PETCHANET PRATRUANGKRAI
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- THE Commerce Ministry has dismissed two top officials for alleged involvement in fraudulent "government-to-government" rice deals.

The decision to remove the Foreign Trade Department officials followed a committee ruling by the ministry's Office of the Civil Service Commission, and came after a National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) investigation.

A source from the ministry said the two civil servants had to be dismissed after the NACC found they had committed fraud.

The officials can, however, appeal the committee's decision through the Merit System Protection Commission within 30 days.

It is the first time something like this has happened at the ministry.

The two officials were involved in four alleged "government-to-government" rice deals led by former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra and ex-commerce minister Boonsong Teriyapirom.

Other politicians and individuals, including a retired civil servant and the two aforementioned officials were also reported to have been involved.

The NACC filed a petition alleging corruption in the deals and has called on those involved to compensate the country over the huge financial loss.

There has also been a development in a separate case centred on high-level officials at state-owned Public Warehouse Organisation (PWO) who were corrupted over the packed-rice scheme, with two officials provisionally discharged from the government service pending the result of an inquiry.

PWO chairman Jintana Chaiyawonnagal said the organisation had set up a committee to investigate the matter and would estimate the losses from the corruption and call on the ex-executives to pay compensation.

The scrapped rice-pledging scheme aimed to support poor farmers and produce cheap rice for sale to the public.

However, the PWO also found that a large quantity of rice disappeared from its stocks, while |the quality of much rice also |suffered.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Officials-ousted-for-fraud-over-govt-rice-deals-30254634.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-23

I am surprised we have not yet heard from the YS support club, claiming the whole thing is a political stunt cooked up by the junta to remove the popular Shins family from politics.

cheesy.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif

maybe because the ploy is so obvious that it doesn't need to be pointed out?

I recall the junta counting all the rice last summer and concluding that 0.08% was missing. Now, 9 months later, there is a large amount missing and a committee is going to be set up to investigate?

This junta can find its tank with both hands.

• Like 1

"Wait for farther announcements, the money trail and restitution to come."

Don't hold your breath, once the fuss dies down they will be back on the gravy train again. TIT and all the corrupt ones look after each other, just in case it is their turn next.

• Like 1

'Dismissed' and 'ousted' is the government's way of saying relieved of duty, arrested, and thrown in jail for life? And of course all the money to be returned to the people with interest. Sometimes the government says so much in so little words. Great to live in a country where corruption is dealt with so harshly.

tomyummer post # 13.

'Dismissed' and 'ousted' is the government's way of saying relieved of duty, arrested, and thrown in jail for life? And of course all the money to be returned to the people with interest. Sometimes the government says so much in so little words. Great to live in a country where corruption is dealt with so harshly.

Now would that statement be linked to why you live here as opposed to elsewhere?whistling.gif

I am surprised we have not yet heard from the YS support club, claiming the whole thing is a political stunt cooked up by the junta to remove the popular Shins family from politics.

I recall the junta counting all the rice last summer and concluding that 0.08% was missing. Now, 9 months later, there is a large amount missing and a committee is going to be set up to investigate?

where did you get the 0.08% missing? from the very beginning it has always been a lot missing.

• Like 2

Or more likely, it is a simple case of you reap what you sow.

• Like 1

where did you get the 0.08% missing? from the very beginning it has always been a lot missing.

Was talking with a Thai guy on Saturday. He reckons that no rice was stolen. When it was delivered to the silos the figures were highly inflated to show more than was actually recieved. Fiddling the books does seem a lot easier than physically stealing the stuff.

• Like 2

Was talking with a Thai guy on Saturday. He reckons that no rice was stolen. When it was delivered to the silos the figures were highly inflated to show more than was actually recieved. Fiddling the books does seem a lot easier than physically stealing the stuff.

It amounts to the same thing.. and I agree.. far easier to play with the books.

BANGKOK: -- THE Commerce Ministry has dismissed two top officials for alleged involvement in fraudulent "government-to-government" rice deals.

The decision to remove the Foreign Trade Department officials followed a committee ruling by the ministry's Office of the Civil Service Commission, and came after a National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) investigation.

A source from the ministry said the two civil servants had to be dismissed after the NACC found they had committed fraud.

Kudos Ricardo for your comment

Perhaps Ricardo it is hopefully a demonstration that there is a lessening of political influence upon the relevant bodies and at last the tasks they are appointed to carry out can and will be done in a transparent and honest manner.

I share that hope, it is necessary that the system starts to work better here, regardless of who's turn it is to be on top of the sand-pile shouting "Yaa Sucks Boo !" at the other, this week. thumbsup.gif

I'm reminded of a naval signal, ascribed to the British, "kindly extract digit" ( or 'get-your-fingers-out'), civil-servants need to start doing their jobs, and earning their pay ! rolleyes.gif

I'd be inclined to look at it a different way -

The protection of senior government officials (MP's) is no longer available and the intimidation wing (redshirt organisation) are powerless, not to mention organisations like the police and the DSI CDI can no longer be bought off to ignore the infarctions

Well why does the junta claim there is physically little rice missing then?

Physically little rice missing? I think you will find they say a lot. Edited by draftvader
Cleaning up quotes

Physically little rice missing? I think you will find they say a lot.

That is not the case at all

However, the upshot of the inspection in the East's 14 provinces was that only a few flaws were found. There were 429.8 tonnes of rice missing or 0.018 per cent of the 2.32 million tonne total on the lists, the Second Army Area spokesman said yesterday.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Nationwide-rice-audit-ordered-by-Junta-nearly-comp-30239601.html

So that line of fraud is largely closed. The claim is that they managed to get hold of rice at below market price on the basis of export, but sold it domestically.

Because the result of fiddeling the books is that the rice is physically missing.

Suppose you the bill says you delivered 3000 kg but in reality you delivered 1500kg (example). It then looks as if 1500 kg was stolen. It was stolen (paid for 3000 given 1500) only not in the conventional way you are thinking about.

There is a difference between the "paper" stock and the physical stock. So it really does not matter how it was stolen because its theft all the same.

This is standard accounting .. nothing specific to the junta.

• Like 1

Physically little rice missing? I think you will find they say a lot.

eg 24 July 2014 Phoenix Agritech, Pathum Thani

" In the book, they declared 147,389 sacks of rice were kept in the warehouses of the company.

But renewed checking found 98,435 sacks were missing.

The Marketing Organisation for Farmers has earlier filed complaint with the police and has charged warehouse operator and contractor of theft.

Earlier Wednesday the permanent secretary of PM’s Office ML Panadda Dissakul has said rice checking at all provinces so far showed more than 5% of rice went missing from warehouses."

If each sack is 50kg that's 4,922 tonnes missing from just one company in one provence. If one truck hauls away 20 tonnes that is 250 truck loads, which need to be stored elsewhere, or on sold to another warehouse as new rice thus receiving about 70M bt.

Better still never actually receive the 98,435 sacks, but do the paperwork and receive 70M bt from the Rice Scam and then charge storage and fumigation fees on the rice that never existed.

• Like 1