Certificate of Residency Chiang Mai - Good News

500 Bht is for next day service or to expedite. Otherwise it takes a week or two to get it back which is posted if I remember right. I couldn't wait so paid the 500 and was able to pick it up the next day. It seemed a bit fishy but I did get it the next day. Sometimes this is how business is done....

Edited by arend

Complain about people complaining about everything and then you complain... 5555

In case you missed it...it's a free service provided by immigration. Not that it's "suppose to be" or that it's a small amount... it's corruption.

I also went to the new Immigration office primarily for the Myanmar workers permits. I paid the 500 baht as well. But I think the Certificate should be for at least 6 months, or the remaining time shown on your visa. I don't mind paying the fee. It is such a small amount ($15.) US. To many Farangs complain about everything when it comes to fees. If you don't like what is

going on in Thailand F^%k leave. Thats all I read in this Thailand Forum. Stupid farangs asking stupid questions on visa requirements. How to do this or that. Its getting mighty old reading the same stuff over and over again. I would love to see someone make a small paperback showing each form how to fill it out and what is needed to apply, how many copies of each stamp in your passport are needed. I would also like to see more leniency at Immigration on those who have been married to a Thai for more that 20 years, and living here in Thailand dumping tons of money into the Thai economy. Owning your own home for years, but still reporting every 90 days is stupid. If you haven't moved, and still live at the same address, and have a one year visa, Why the 90 day report in......makes no sense. If you have a thai drivers license, first year, then one for five years. Why still a 90 day report in? You have established residency, you have your own bank account, your married to a Thai for over 20 years, bought a house and land under your wives name, But still not considered a resident makes no sense at all. Everything about me has been documented repeatedly at Immigrations. You would think Immigrations would simplify things to make their own workload more efficient. What is needed is to cut the unnecessary

bull out of the system. and just deal with those on Tourist visa's. No extensions. After 30 days you go back home period, and reapply for a different visa.

To many stay beyond their 30 day visa, that causes problems for themselves. Thai Immigration should simply kick them out of the county. Those who have proper visa's plus 1 or more years extensions such as retirement, playing by the rules; leave them alone. They are part of thai society, and are not a threat to the country. I've been wanting to get theses issues of my chest for a lone time. And for you oldies that have been making remarks about visa runs and such, How about start writing about real issues that are not being address for us long time stay/retired farangs. How about forming a meeting with high government officials in Bangkok about changing Immigration rules, and making life easier for us that are semi-residents of Thailand with an "O" visa status! Stop being the "old geysers that know it all" yet will not budge from your "Lazzy-boy" chairs and make some use of your valuable insights! Change is long over do!

Exactly - its a free service. Thats why we have reported the Officer at Immigration opp. Promenada to NACC - they will (maybe) take action ...

• Like 1

Hi. A bit of topic,

but could you please try to make topic titles that most people can understand ?

Who knows what CNX means ? I suppose very very few people... sad.png

Looking on Google Thailand, CNX could be Chiang Mai Airport,

but I fail to see the relation with Certificate of Residence ??

just to make your day, BKK stands for Bangkok.

Everyone here knows what CNX means. (Chiang Mai!)

everyone meaning you

I would be interested to hear if *anyone* *ever* asked for, and received, a receipt for paying the Bt 500.

- Since the service is supposed to be "free", is the request for payment of the Bt 500 just a straight-forward rip-off (ie corruption) ?

The best part is that they ask 500 baht per-copy of the Residency Certificate... I needed 3 copies when I went there recently... No joy and no receipt, but I did get them the next day...

Get three copies from British consul 9,012 baht!!.........but you get a receipt which makes you feel good facepalm.gif

Have to admit, I've always found it a bit strange when people refer to cities by their airport abbreviation. (Unless you're actually in the airport, of course.)

When I lived there we abbreviated it CM. Easy enough, I would have thought.

--Roota (born in NRT, currently in CGK, planning to spend the summer in YYZ -- can I say that now?)

Certainly, it is perfectly alright to say that, on condition that you were born inside Narita International Airport (Tokyo, Japan), currently live inside Soekarno-Hatta International Airport (Jakarta, Indonesia), and plan to spend the summer inside Lester B. Pearson International Airport (Toronto, Canada)

I do not believe that people who use CNX or CM do so deliberately to exclude their posts from a search for posts that are specific to the Chiang Mai immigration office. It just never occurs to them that this will be the effect. I have seen many posts where members tell others to do a search in this forum and I'm sure they do not realise how difficult such a search is with posters using airport codes or other abbreviations or slang like Bangers or Patters to refer to the location of an immigration office. Such is life, or, if you will pardon my French, c'est la bloody vie.

I can't believe posters saying how much it costs.

It's free, it happens in 10 minutes, and if you pay anything you were ripped off!

Is free where?

Why all the other should be lying?

It's free, it happens in 10 minutes, and if you pay anything you were ripped off!

Is free where?

It was free in Mae Sai before immigration opened the office in Chiang Rai where it is free also.

It's supposed to be free everywhere, but some offices seem to charge, so I'm not calling people liars, I'm telling them they are victims.

Is free where?

It was free in Mae Sai before immigration opened the office in Chiang Rai where it is free also.

It's supposed to be free everywhere, but some offices seem to charge, so I'm not calling people liars, I'm telling them they are victims.

That's a fine point for discussion but even so some (many) immigration offices do attempt to charge an amount that varies from 100B to 500B, depending on where you are.

Phuket seems to be free, Jomtien is somewhere in the middle range and Chiang Mai is at the top.

Think of it as a cover charge to get in.

Again, people like you are missing the point. Why should the guy at CM immigration profit from me wanting to get a "FREE" certificate of residency?

He works in an agency that provides this document for free...it says that on the board directly above his window.

I don't want one, but the thai government wants me to provide one...

If they make it a document that officially requires payment to the immigration department I will have no choice but pay it. Ok fine.

The guy at CM immigration should be reported for simply suggesting he will do it faster for 500 baht. And he should be reported for harassing and punishing those of us that don't need it immediately, by making us wait 30+ days as the sign says 7-10 days.

I pay good money for the visa, the reentry permits, my DL and any other document that is required to live in this country. That's my cover charge.

I think you are simply an instigator about this issue and have nothing better to do but kick start.

• Like 1

I would be interested to hear if *anyone* *ever* asked for, and received, a receipt for paying the Bt 500.

- Since the service is supposed to be "free", is the request for payment of the Bt 500 just a straight-forward rip-off (ie corruption) ?

If you want free then you willwait a week to ten days, you are paying for express service. A few people complained about the charge a year or so and immigration stopped issueing the certificate, then if you had a consulate or Embassy in town you got to pay fifty dollars. So tell me which do you prefer 50 dollars or 500baht

I went to Bangkok immigration and waited f***** ing ages with my number. I was then refused a residency certificate as I am on a non-o multi entry (spouse visa). I was told that I had to have a reporting stamp and cannot have a residency cert. on a spouse visa whereby I have to leave the country every 90 days.... Is this correct? I then had to pay theBritish Embasy just over 3k for a Thai person to vouch that I was English....

Edited by ukmark67

Think of it as a cover charge to get in.

Again, people like you are missing the point. Why should the guy at CM immigration profit from me wanting to get a "FREE" certificate of residency?

He works in an agency that provides this document for free...it says that on the board directly above his window.

I don't want one, but the thai government wants me to provide one...

If they make it a document that officially requires payment to the immigration department I will have no choice but pay it. Ok fine.

The guy at CM immigration should be reported for simply suggesting he will do it faster for 500 baht. And he should be reported for harassing and punishing those of us that don't need it immediately, by making us wait 30+ days as the sign says 7-10 days.

I pay good money for the visa, the reentry permits, my DL and any other document that is required to live in this country. That's my cover charge.

I think you are simply an instigator about this issue and have nothing better to do but kick start.

Agree - Its amazing that some people on TV complain over RTP and their corruption and the same time they support corruption by paying bribe 500B to Imm for Res. Cert. .... Amazing Thailand bah.gif

I went to Bangkok immigration and waited f***** ing ages with my number. I was then refused a residency certificate as I am on a non-o multi entry (spouse visa). I was told that I had to have a reporting stamp and cannot have a residency cert. on a spouse visa whereby I have to leave the country every 90 days.... Is this correct? I then had to pay theBritish Embasy just over 3k for a Thai person to vouch that I was English....

Many offices will not issue a certificate of residence until you have done a 90 day report and with that a local address.

Hi Mario. We live in outer Bangkok and had a letter from our landlord. I was told that I could not have a residency letter if I have to leave the country every 90 days. Does anybody know if we can go to our local office in Samut Prakorn or does it need to be the main immigration?

I would have happily paid 500 baht for an 'express' service rather than half a day and 3000 bht in the British embassy.

Edited by ukmark67

Hi Mario. We live in outer Bangkok and had a letter from our landlord. I was told that I could not have a residency letter if I have to leave the country every 90 days. Does anybody know if we can go to our local office in Samut Prakorn or does it need to be the main immigration?

I would have happily paid 500 baht for an 'express' service rather than half a day and 3000 bht in the British embassy.

It has been reported many times that Chaeng Wattana immigration will not do them unless you are making 90 day reports to them. It has been that way for years.;

If your address is for Samut Prakan you can go to the immigration office there. Not sure what their policy is for getting a certificate of residence is.

They give a receipt.. the 500b is just next day service on the free item..

You dont have to pay.. then it takes 'maybe one month'.. Nothing says they cant provide a express fee..

They give a receipt and its the receipt you use the following day to collect it.

The certificates of residency have an expiration date of 30 days. Just FYI

Mine, issued today, is valid until my retirement visa runs out. 14 Jul 2015

Wont be accepted at the land transport office.. They want it 30 days.

I got one Nov 28.. Would only be accepted up to Dec 28.. Had to get another.

Have to admit, I've always found it a bit strange when people refer to cities by their airport abbreviation. (Unless you're actually in the airport, of course.)

When I lived there we abbreviated it CM. Easy enough, I would have thought.

--Roota (born in NRT, currently in CGK, planning to spend the summer in YYZ -- can I say that now?)

You should go to Malaysia where every town in conversation is referred to by a few letters. For instance KL = Kuala Lumpur KK = Kota Kinabalu JB = Johar Baru

Same in PNG, the City of Port Moresby is POM. LAE is LAE!

Gold Coast not so easy - it's at Coolangatta, thus OOL.

We had to wait 30 days since we didnt wanted to support corruption and when we picked it up the corrupt officer (has his name) told us that we could not get another from them - we would then have to go to BKK and my Embassy to get ...

What a noob cause after contacting NACC on 1111 they informed us that we could get as many as we wanted from Imm opp. Promenada - if any problems we just call NACC in front of the Imm.officer, then he could talk to NACC ... clap2.gif

• Like 1

The CM immigration thug told me that if I wanted another one, next time I should go to my consulate. He's a problem if you don't give into his bullying and pay him the corruption fee of 500 baht.

We had to wait 30 days since we didnt wanted to support corruption and when we picked it up the corrupt officer (has his name) told us that we could not get another from them - we would then have to go to BKK and my Embassy to get ...

What a noob cause after contacting NACC on 1111 they informed us that we could get as many as we wanted from Imm opp. Promenada - if any problems we just call NACC in front of the Imm.officer, then he could talk to NACC ... clap2.gif

Edited by Nowisee