Should I Open?

Stranger2Isaan

Hello everyone, it's my first post here on TV, so I hope that anything I have written wrong, I do so apologize.

Well then, I'm a 27 y/o which moved in with my thai gf and her parents. She was working as a receptionist in Malaysia before I met her. I told her to go back to Thailand and I would start a business here. She agreed so we both came here on new years eve. We're now staying with her parents and I saw an empty lot which is for rent and I was thinking of opening perhaps a cafe or eatery. Her mum is not working and gets drunk nearly everyday and always complains to her daughter(my gf)money not enough and scolds her. I paid for the electricity bills and water bills though. Her dad drives a tuk tuk and her younger bro is a drunk but after much convincing he took up a job as a salesman.

I'm wondering if I open this cafe, would her mum would want to join in?

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Well basically this business is considered to shut the mum up for always asking for money from her daughter. She's just lying there as I type watching tv and waiting for me to do start and do everything. The purpose I ask this on TV because I've read many past experiences with Thai ppl in this forum.

Her mum always complains to her daughter money is not enough and so and so but her dad is rather okay and frequents drinks of Leos with me now and then. I believe I have provided what I should provide like basic necessities daily. Before my gf came back here she was working her ass off to send money back to her mum and now that she is back and not working anymore she keeps mumbling to her daughter.

If she really wants to work, easily can get a spot at the local district market or street market to sell anything she wants...and I think will be a cheap way to know her dedication to the business before investing any more money. People doing that with consistency to creates a loyal clientele are doing enough for a living. I buy my papaya salad and grill chicken 3/4 times a week always in the same street cart owned by a mid age couple, and they are doing fine for many years now. I have to call to order first, not to get in line and to waiting too long. Just 30THB for a big serving of salad and 20THB for a chicken leg. Just went up last month.

Thanks everyone for their opinions. I actually have to give up many things when I came here. I actually manage a mobile phone shop, a karaoke which I shared with a classmate and an Inn which is a family business. All my friends said I was blinded and stupid. I'm here on tourist visa and often do visa runs to Laos just to extend my visa. I know im stupid but I just feel that I had to do something.

Would you believe she said her whole family will die eventually because my gf is not working? Who would buy into that sort of crap? Her mum has hands and legs, she can work, not drinking "whiskey white" until she mumbles crap until she sleeps.

Thanks everyone for their opinions. I actually have to give up many things when I came here. I actually manage a mobile phone shop, a karaoke which I shared with a classmate and an Inn which is a family business. All my friends said I was blinded and stupid. I'm here on tourist visa and often do visa runs to Laos just to extend my visa. I know im stupid but I just feel that I had to do something.

Would you believe she said her whole family will die eventually because my gf is not working? Who would buy into that sort of crap? Her mum has hands and legs, she can work, not drinking "whiskey white" until she mumbles crap until she sleeps.

You have a tourist visa and you are putting all your money in a little store?

Please OP, read thevstories on tv and every other website. You are to young to waste your life.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

karaoke business experience before, frequent trips laos, dont need much for a tin shed some flashing lights, gas cooker for noodles out the front,

drunken woman to keep the very young 'staff' in line, the weekly cup of tea for local authorities

go for it

What I don't really understand is why would they need so much money. I always ask myself this. I come from a well educated Chinese family and am well aware what is happening here. Her mum has no gambling habits, that's ok. She tells my gf she has many things to pay, I ask her back. Like what? Water? Electricity? That's all paid by me. Insurance? Ok, that's perhaps once a year. Food? Her tuk tuk driving dad always brings food home after work. I just don't <deleted> understand what is there to pay every month. I asked my gf if her mum had taken a loan and refinanced her house, she said no. So what is there to pay? My gf gives her mum approx 2k Malaysian ringgit a month which is equivalent to 20k thb and that's not enough?

stranger, what about my tin shed, flashing lights, noodles out the front, idea ?

you get the staff it is a winner, if your in muddykharn find staff who can swim or can hold onto plastic drums and be roped in

Nice idea though but I would be out of my mind to really do that I must say. You're just pulling my leg. LOL

It would not be your business. Look into the ins and outs of doing so. You will probably end up setting up a business in your GF's name. Thus you will have no control. If you work in the business you will need a work permit. I doubt you would obtain one for brewing coffee and the like

If you wish to provide funds for your gf to set up a business then carry on but it would be hers not yours to do as she (or her family pleases) and as much as your gf might like you she will find it hard to go against their wishes.

I agree with others that have posted should you truly want to set your gf up in business then move well away from the family

Ur GF's Mum is always asking for money .. .how does she pay for her booze?

First thing you need to do is get away from her parents

Many a Thai / Farang relationship end due to Thai parents interference / involvement

The further away you are the better, make it so you can only visit on holiday with the "its to far" reason

If your GF is not into running a small business with you and prefers too do squat then you should run ... run far ...

I go past a post office near where I live a few times a week an am always seeing people bring in bag loads or parcels

Thai women love shopping and they do it on facebook and other sites

Look into that instead of a physical shop

Your friends are right!
  • Like 1

What I don't really understand is why would they need so much money. I always ask myself this. I come from a well educated Chinese family and am well aware what is happening here. Her mum has no gambling habits, that's ok. She tells my gf she has many things to pay, I ask her back. Like what? Water? Electricity? That's all paid by me. Insurance? Ok, that's perhaps once a year. Food? Her tuk tuk driving dad always brings food home after work. I just don't <deleted> understand what is there to pay every month. I asked my gf if her mum had taken a loan and refinanced her house, she said no. So what is there to pay? My gf gives her mum approx 2k Malaysian ringgit a month which is equivalent to 20k thb and that's not enough?

Believe it or not, most small farmers families live well with just 20.000 THB/month......