English Chips

Don Riggers

I have been coming to Bangkok for many years and always have one meal at the Fish and Chip Shop in Sukhumvit soi 23. The business now has new ownership and the staff are polite and friendly, but the chips are just a soggy mess. Could anyone tell me where there are decent chips in the Sukhumvit area of Bangkok, as this is the only time I eat chips.

Thank you

agree, though they are not always that soggy.... and better than nothing! i preferred the slimmer chips from the previous shop.

nothing worse than the frozen chips served in restaurants

would be interested if there are any other fish and chip shops in town... i've never seen one.

Spoken like a true food snob not. Chips being larger contain less fat from cooking. Not every potato type will make a good chip, I tend to buy the older, rougher looking potatoes when buying. They should be dried before cooking and last of all, lard should be used, not recycled palm oil. Easy? Sure. French fries aren't anywhere near.

french fries are ok if done well with some things, but English chips are the best, (they do not come in a sealed bag with different flavourings added)

the only real chips are those cooked in dripping w00t.gif

Agreed

So you don't know what lard is, as I noted above?

I think you will find lard and dripping are not quite the same thing, I am no culinary expert, but think lard can come from any animal, cows, pigs etc, but dripping is exclusively beef fat hence it has more taste..biggrin.png

but one suspects my comment will start a heated debate and argument tongue.png

As a English man who has lived 15 years in Australia and now 3 in Los,i feel i have to explain to our Aussie posters,we are talkin here about Hot chips,as opposed to chips in a packet that us pommies call crisps,i must say i always found hot chips in England to be a little soggy,but full of flavour,and teamed with a doner kebab,heaven after a heavy drinking session,a liberal dose of vinegar and salt,then after consuming this repast,my then girlfriend and i ,suitably restored by the victuals,would indulge in carnal activities until the sunrise,of course i was a younger man,then.

As a English man who has lived 15 years in Australia and now 3 in Los,i feel i have to explain to our Aussie posters,we are talkin here about Hot chips,as opposed to chips in a packet that us pommies call crisps,i must say i always found hot chips in England to be a little soggy,but full of flavour,and teamed with a doner kebab,heaven after a heavy drinking session,a liberal dose of vinegar and salt,then after consuming this repast,my then girlfriend and i ,suitably restored by the victuals,would indulge in carnal activities until the sunrise,of course i was a younger man,then.