Most judges picked for Yingluck case also hearing other Thaksin camp cases

webfact

Most judges picked for Yingluck case also hearing other Thaksin camp cases
The Nation

30254814-01_big.jpg
A court official shows the list of nine judges selected by 146 members of the Supreme Court to be on a panel to hear the rice scheme case against former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

BANGKOK: - More than half of nine judges selected yesterday by 146 Supreme Court members to be on a panel to hear the rice scheme case against former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra have been picked to rule on cases linked to the Thaksin camp.

Thanit Ketsawapitak, a senior judge, had voted to dissolve the Thai Rak Thai Party in May 2007, after the coup in September 2006 ousted Thaksin's government. The panel voted 9:0 to disband the party, but Thanit was one of the minority opposing the then junta's order to ban Thai Rak Thai executives for five years.

Thanit was also a member of the judges' panel that ruled to confiscate Bt46 billion of Thaksin's assets, for benefiting from corrupt dealings while he was prime minister.

Meanwhile, Yingluck has yet to say if she will object to the judicial panel that has been selected, as both the plaintiff and the defendant have the right to file a petition if they object to the selection.

Yingluck's lawyer Norawit Lalang said a team of lawyers would meet soon to discuss if they want to file an objection to the appointment of the nine judges. If there is no objection, the panel will decide on March 19 whether it should accept the case.

The Office of the Attorney-General filed the indictment against Yingluck on Thursday with the Supreme Court's Division for Political Office Holders at the recommendation of the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) to press malfeasance and negligence charges over her alleged failure to stop corruption and more than Bt500 billion in losses in the rice subsidy scheme.

Of the nine judges, five are on the panel that will hear a case against former prime minister Somchai Wongsawat and three others for malfeasance filed by the NACC over the deadly crackdown on People's Alliance for Democracy protesters in October 2008. The first hearing for that trial is set for May.

Three of the five are vice presidents of the court - Weerapol Tangsuwan, Sheep Jullamon and Sirichai Wattanayotin. The other two are Thanarerk Nitiserani, chairman of the court's Criminal Division for Political Office Holders, and Thanasit Nilkamhaeng, chairman of the court's Election Cases Division.

Weerapol Tangsuwan, who is also chief justice of the court, was selected to sit on a panel to hear a case filed by the state prosecutors against former PM Thaksin Shinawatra and 27 others for malfeasance, which is estimated to have cost the state up to Bt4.5 billion in loans extended by state-run Krungthai Bank (KTB) to real-estate firm Krisada Mahanakorn Group.

The KTB trial began years ago but is still being heard, with witnesses and other defendants being summoned to give testimony. The case was suspended after Thaksin fled the country, but has continued in relation to other defendants.

Supreme Court president Direk Ingkaninanda yesterday chaired the meeting of 146 judges - out of 173 in total who cast secret votes to select the judges' panel for Yingluck's case.

Meanwhile, a Finance Ministry subcommittee's auditing of the rice-pledging scheme for the period of 2004 to 2014, ending September 2014, found that a loss of Bt18 billion had been incurred in May 2014 alone, bringing the total loss over 10 years to approximately Bt700 billion.

Rungson Sriworasat, permanent secretary of the Finance Ministry, said yesterday that Bt536 billion in losses were incurred under Yingluck. There are currently some 17.5 million tonnes of rice in state inventories valued at Bt230 billion, of which 2.9 million tonnes are of good quality, while the rest are substandard.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Most-judges-picked-for-Yingluck-case-also-hearing--30254814.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-25

Of course they will object, the longer they can drag it out the better for them.

And when the objections are heard and if one or more of the judges has to be replaced they will object again....And again....And again....Until the client runs out of money.

Lucrative business being a lawyer

• Like 1

While the "yellow shirt" people are obviously enjoying kicking the "dead horse" around, they forget that they are in the minority in Thailand. Seems they could be more judicious of their time in power trying to unite the country instead of pissing off the majority. If I hear "Thaksin's corruption" one more time I'll scream. There is so much corruption in this country there is no one in power or wealth who has not benefited from it. Would someone tell me how an Army general becomes a multimillionaire? Just remember, the present parliament is 100% appointed; not one has been elected. And guess who did the appointing? And which party only gets into power when there is a coup, military or judicial. Trouble's a brewing, and no one's paying attention.

you forgot to say

the have been authorised by his majesty

and my Thai wife believe s what he says al good thai's obey

ooops sorry of coarse this not apply to you as you not thai

While the "yellow shirt" people are obviously enjoying kicking the "dead horse" around, they forget that they are in the minority in Thailand. Seems they could be more judicious of their time in power trying to unite the country instead of pissing off the majority. If I hear "Thaksin's corruption" one more time I'll scream. There is so much corruption in this country there is no one in power or wealth who has not benefited from it. Would someone tell me how an Army general becomes a multimillionaire? Just remember, the present parliament is 100% appointed; not one has been elected. And guess who did the appointing? And which party only gets into power when there is a coup, military or judicial. Trouble's a brewing, and no one's paying attention.

That's your biggest problem; you're screaming about democracy and rights, and no-one's paying any attention. Thaksin and his corrupt cronies are well on the nose, and most Thai people are busy earning a baht or two and living their life. Get over it.

• Like 2

" both the plaintiff and the defendant have the right to file a petition if they object to the selection."

Yingluck will certainly file a petition and then we'll see more of how a fair judicial system devised by previous military coups works. Who will decide whether any judges should be replaced? The NCPO under Article 44 of the Interim Charter has the judicial authority to select ANYONE to hear this case. It could take the opportunity to assure an unbiased panel.

I find it discouraging that not a single judge recused himself from selection for the perception of bias considering many judges' previous involvements in Thaksin, Yingluck, and red shirt litigation. But then, judging from the recent focus on the lack of integrity in the Thai culture, I wouldn't expect any judge to discount himself from the GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH.

Given the importance of this case to the Junta in pursuance of its political reforms, I don't expect Yingluck will prevail with a single removal of the nine selected judges. And do remember, as unlikely as it may be, the NCPO has given itself judicial authority to render its own judgements and reverse judgements. The verdict will be guilty.

• Like 1

Scream, how loud (Thaksin's corruption times 10) Now for your benefit, I am not, nor have I ever been corrupt, not a general, nor am I Thai or one of the "yellow shirt" people you are on about but a retired farang and a multi millionaire.

Yes, I can boast and couldn't give a rat's if you believe me or not, as I've reached my pinnacle, which obviously you have not, otherwise you would not need to ask such a question.

Your previous piece of rhetoric suggests for one to become wealthy in Thailand then one must have benefited through some corrupt activity. I have no idea how the man made his money, not my business, nor yours, but remember not everyone is corrupt and can accumulate wealth legitimately.

To suggest otherwise only highlights that one is either not educated or has no financial acumen or both, but if you are so concerned why don't you front him and ask. You wouldn't have the stomach that's why you pose the questions to others on TV.

Don't know why you bother, as they, like me, have no idea but we can wait for others to speculate or assume, then maybe you will be happy if you get an answer that suits your agenda. As for the rest of your post, it does not warrant a comment.

• Like 1

Scream, how loud (Thaksin's corruption times 10) Now for your benefit, I am not, nor have I ever been corrupt, not a general, nor am I Thai or one of the "yellow shirt" people you are on about but a retired farang and a multi millionaire.

Yes, I can boast and couldn't give a rat's if you believe me or not, as I've reached my pinnacle, which obviously you have not, otherwise you would not need to ask such a question.

Your previous piece of rhetoric suggests for one to become wealthy in Thailand then one must have benefited through some corrupt activity. I have no idea how the man made his money, not my business, nor yours, but remember not everyone is corrupt and can accumulate wealth legitimately.

To suggest otherwise only highlights that one is either not educated or has no financial acumen or both, but if you are so concerned why don't you front him and ask. You wouldn't have the stomach that's why you pose the questions to others on TV.

Don't know why you bother, as they, like me, have no idea but we can wait for others to speculate or assume, then maybe you will be happy if you get an answer that suits your agenda. As for the rest of your post, it does not warrant a comment.

A vast majority of the wealthy were poor Chinese immigrants who work their way up, same goes for Thaksin's family. I don't see why one camp always like to complain about the rich, the main problem is corruption and law enforcement, not how the rich made their money. Most rich folks work hard and majority aren't corrupt, there are always some bad apples but don't group everyone together.

" both the plaintiff and the defendant have the right to file a petition if they object to the selection."

Yingluck will certainly file a petition and then we'll see more of how a fair judicial system devised by previous military coups works. Who will decide whether any judges should be replaced? The NCPO under Article 44 of the Interim Charter has the judicial authority to select ANYONE to hear this case. It could take the opportunity to assure an unbiased panel.

I find it discouraging that not a single judge recused himself from selection for the perception of bias considering many judges' previous involvements in Thaksin, Yingluck, and red shirt litigation. But then, judging from the recent focus on the lack of integrity in the Thai culture, I wouldn't expect any judge to discount himself from the GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH.

Given the importance of this case to the Junta in pursuance of its political reforms, I don't expect Yingluck will prevail with a single removal of the nine selected judges. And do remember, as unlikely as it may be, the NCPO has given itself judicial authority to render its own judgements and reverse judgements. The verdict will be guilty.

You tell us that no judge excluded themselves, then tell us why there were only 146 of the 170 judges doing the voting, have you inside information as to why the other 24 did not vote on this important matter ?

Could it be that they did in fact did exclude themselves from both being on the panel to hear the case and to vote on the selection.

You don't know do you ? You just make assumptions based on your bias.

You and your like refuse to accept that there could possibly be any corruption or guilt associated with the PT administration.

Decisions will be made on the evidence presented, as was the case when both Somsak and Nikom escaped impeachment.

• Like 1

That's your biggest problem; you're screaming about democracy and rights, and no-one's paying any attention. Thaksin and his corrupt cronies are well on the nose, and most Thai people are busy earning a baht or two and living their life. Get over it.

Does anyone else hate these patronising posters who always have to finish off by saying "Get over it". Seems to be a thing with the junta lovers.

Does anyone else hate these patronising posters who always have to finish off by saying "Get over it". Seems to be a thing with the junta lovers.

Well I, for one, do not hate anyone, let alone someone who has as much right to post their view as you do. Patronising, why do you state this. If we're into calling others names, then one could say you are condescending twit but I won't, you're just someone who assumes too much without really knowing anything.

• Like 1

"The KTB trial began years ago but is still being heard, with witnesses and other defendants being summoned to give testimony. The case was suspended after Thaksin fled the country, but has continued in relation to other defendants."

Let's hope the same thing doesn't happen in this case.

If I hear "Thaksin's corruption" one more time I'll scream.

"Thaksin's Corruption"

Your profile says you've been a member of this forum since March 31, 2004 and this is your post #180. Have you been hibernating? Why does this topic bring you out of your cave? Surely there have been other topics over the last ten years more attractive to a Thaksin Defender like yourself. I find you suspicious.

Edited by rametindallas

Does anyone else hate these patronising posters who always have to finish off by saying "Get over it".

"Get over it"

The judges should be in witness protection service, not have their names publicized. I'm probably being paranoid, but it must be tempting for the wildly rich, who are used to buying anything they want.

Yes by all means, protect the Judges from boxes of doughnuts

We call it Kangaroo courts. Funny enough the rice scheme has cost the country around 19 billion baht (that must have been a shocker today, when the junta revised the lost amount down from 518 billion baht). 600 Million USD ifor an economic stimulus program that lifted millions out of poverty and kept the economy going. Compare that with the 3 billion USD cash handout of the Abhisit government and the 40 Billion USD he splashed out for other economic stimulus (source wikipedia). It seems to me the Supreme court, the NACC and Absit should be in the dock instead.

It is a shame you can't read and understand before posting

" Funny enough the rice scheme has cost the country around 19 billion baht (that must have been a shocker today, when the junta revised the lost amount down from 518 billion baht)

Funny is how stupid some people are

Increased by another 19B bt in May 2014 on top of 218B bt so now scam has cost $537B bt

And still 7 months of storage costs etc to get to the end of 2014,

But at least they have managed to sell some rice unlike the last useless lot, so the $537B may actually decrease.

• Like 1

We call it Kangaroo courts. Funny enough the rice scheme has cost the country around 19 billion baht (that must have been a shocker today, when the junta revised the lost amount down from 518 billion baht). 600 Million USD ifor an economic stimulus program that lifted millions out of poverty and kept the economy going. Compare that with the 3 billion USD cash handout of the Abhisit government and the 40 Billion USD he splashed out for other economic stimulus (source wikipedia). It seems to me the Supreme court, the NACC and Absit should be in the dock instead.

It is a shame you can't read and understand before posting

" Funny enough the rice scheme has cost the country around 19 billion baht (that must have been a shocker today, when the junta revised the lost amount down from 518 billion baht)

Funny is how stupid some people are

Increased by another 19B bt in May 2014 on top of 218B bt so now scam has cost $537B bt

And still 7 months of storage costs etc to get to the end of 2014,

But at least they have managed to sell some rice unlike the last useless lot, so the $537B may actually decrease.

To be fair Mr. Kingdom seems very clever. Even more clever than the World Bank.

He asserts this scheme lifted millions out of poverty (unlike the World Bank report that said very little ever reached those in need, and the those in most need were actually excluded from the scheme) and kept the economy going - does he have any proof for this one (apart from the ramblings of the former noted self confessed liar who was the Finance Minister)>

Tragic indeed - that someone could really write that in a post.

Being unable to comprehend a simple sentence is truly tragic. Try it again "....a loss of Bt18 billion had been incurred in May 2014 alone, bringing the total loss over 10 years to approximately Bt700 billion. "

You might also note that the total loss includes the first period of this stupidity. Yingluk re-instated a loss-making policy, known to be riddled with corruption and totally useless in meeting its stated goals, without change - probably because her brother wouldn't like her meddling with his policy.

Quote "We call it Kangaroo courts".

Could you please explain who "We" are.

I am not one of the persons you describe and neither are my Thai family and friends either.

I doubt if even 20% of the TVF posters fit your category nor even 20% of the Thai population though I do admit to not taking a survey.

Edited by billd766

Huh? They revised the loss caused by the rice scam UP another 19,000,000,000

THB.

Nice try though.