Jomtien Immigration: Is it the ergonomics or have they cleared the backlog?

NanLaew

Dropped by Jomtien Immigration yesterday just to see how much of my life I would lose waiting for a re-entry permit. Three weeks ago, the girls at reception said maybe 4-5 hours. Yesterday I received the multi re-entry in 16 minutes... the chap who had the number following mine managed it in about 10 minutes.

This was at 10:45 on Tuesday. No rugby scrum at the door where the receptionists at the left side quickly assess your paperwork, assign the number and send you over to a new reception desk on the right (where the useless writing desk used to be) where they apply the signature stamps on copies and quote the fee. Once signed and cash handed over, they walk with you to a totally rearranged desk area and hand the passport and paperwork directly to the first chap who does the computer entry, then passport shuffled left to the receipt writer (who didn't ask to keep any change!) and finally to the bosses desk behind for the signatures and stamps. Shortly thereafter, one of two girls picks up the pile of completed passports, calls out the numbers and hands them back.

I did note that with all the Immigration desks now moved around the periphery of the room with their backs to the walls, there's much more room and more seating for the customers. But it did still look like there was a lot less people there for a mid-morning.

Edited by NanLaew

Thanks for the heads up. I need a re-entry and was going to leave it until next month but I might try this afternoon now. From what I recall in past years and other people saying the big delay was always with the sullen police woman at the end of the chain who kept on leaving for toilet breaks or spent ages chatting on her phone while a pile of passports built up. Maybe they've got rid of her or forced her to speed up her act. I mean, it took me around 6 minutes to get another annual retirement extension back in December so why on earth should it take several hours to get a single re-entry permit?

interesting posts good to hear that the chaos that once was has subsided,if the 90 day report can now be obtined via the web, even more space alloted as now it time to repost the 90 day report officers and assign them to other duties like home visits for those requireing annual extensions rofl but it seems like a good idea

An adjunct to my OP: I noted that they had not stamped the 'Date of Issue' box on the Re-entry Permit so I went back today. Got there at 9.30 AM and it was a whole lot busier than yesterday with people standing around and all seats taken. Showed the missing date stamp to the Receptionist and she told me to go straight to Desk #2 which was standing room only. I waiied and pushed my passport at the computer guy and he looked at it, the receipt and handed it to lady to his right to put yesterday's date stamp in. All done in a couple of minutes.

A ) Check ALL your stamps before you leave (I only checked the validity dates yesterday).

B ) Late morning or mid-afternoon may be good for any business as I imagine I witnessed the end of the morning frenzy when I went back today. I would reckon there's a post-lunch surge as well.

• Like 1

Hi. I just come back from Jomtien Immigration where I needed a Re-Entry Permit.
Big changes inside ! You can forget everything you know about how this Immigration Office works... wink.png

When you enter you now see a huge central area full of seating where people are waiting for their turn. All desks and officers are now along the walls all over the place.

At the entrance you must now turn on your right toward a new desk where 3 ladies will check you documents. They will check form, copies, signatures,... and will make you fill some form or make new photocopies if need. They will make you pay the fee too.

When your file (documents) is correct, they will send you to the desk at the left of the entrance where you will get a number for your queue. You then go in the central seating area and wait for your turn looking at the desk you will have to go. The electronic number system was not working today.

From right to left inside the Office you will see :

- the "reception/checking" desk with the 3 ladies
- the #1 desk for Tourists (mainly extension)
- the #2 desk for Re-Entry Permit
- several desks for the 90-Days Report
- several desks for Long Stay Extension (like Retirement, Marriage, Work,...). Along the back wall
- the small ex-office for Residence Certificate is now reserved to people for neighbour countries (Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar...)
- the desk on the left for Residence Certificate
- the queue number distributor

I went there at about 1pm. It was rather busy in the waiting area.
It took me 15 minutes to get my Re-Entry stamp.

To early to say, but seems to be a good change smile.png

• Like 1

Started a thread, said all that.

and never checked your passport, how long you been here? giggle.gif

Said before

They need bigger building.

They need more staff.

They need more stations for extensions, 1-2 are way to busy.

They need applicants only in the building. seen loads of old guys having to stand

one day I hope.

Started a thread, said all that.

and never checked your passport, how long you been here? giggle.gif

Said before

They need bigger building.

They need more staff.

They need more stations for extensions, 1-2 are way to busy.

They need applicants only in the building. seen loads of old guys having to stand

one day I hope.

They usually cock-up the 'stay until' or 'validity' date stamps and those are the ones I checked. But in my euphoria of getting it all sorted in 16 minutes, I admit I overlooked the date of issue stamp.... been here just way, way too long I guess.

At least I had the smarts to go back to Soi 5 and get it sorted and not wait till some ornery departure immigration chap pulled me to the side at Suvarnabhumi.

The recent reorganization seems to have done wonders for those getting re-entry permits. Just need a few more to CONTRIBUTE with their EXPERIENCE at the other stations rather than just whine about the current limitations and what they would do if they were God.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

Is it the ergonomics

Probably more a case of feng shui ... that and the tapering off of the high season.

Feng shui... that may be working.... for now. But what high season? In my 4 trips to Immigration since January, there's been a serious dearth of Pattaya tourists (you don't see Indians and Chinese filing extensions, they get back on the bus/plane and bugger off home. However, there seems to be a lot a older Russian couples with grown families making their temporary residences more permanent. Same goes at the Driving License office too apparently.

Ha Ha

just for a second thought you were pissed off and was acting like a big girl

over making a mistake.

I resemble that remark!

new boss....

Is that speculation? Anyhow, I recall the next big surge is round about the first week of April when a fair few perpetual 90-day reporters decide to break out a few shekels from their meager pensions and escape the madhouse of Songkran.

I went to Jomtien immigration yesterday to do my 90 day reporting. I had already printed a form so I was given a handwritten number and directed to the new area to do this. A correction to the OP - there are NOT several desks for this - there were only 2 operating yesterday. I had number 393 and when I got to the desk they were only on number 379.

Some people were dealt with quite quickly whilst others seemed to take longer - not sure why this was unless those taking longer didn't have a bar code from the last time they reported. Perhaps when everyone is on the barcode system, it will be quicker for everyone?

I don't know why the electronic system wasn't working but the officers were having to call out the next number every time - not a problem for me but if anyone was slightly deaf, they could easily find it difficult to hear their number being called due to the ambient noise in the building.

Alan

I went to Jomtien immigration yesterday to do my 90 day reporting. I had already printed a form so I was given a handwritten number and directed to the new area to do this. A correction to the OP - there are NOT several desks for this - there were only 2 operating yesterday. I had number 393 and when I got to the desk they were only on number 379.

Some people were dealt with quite quickly whilst others seemed to take longer - not sure why this was unless those taking longer didn't have a bar code from the last time they reported. Perhaps when everyone is on the barcode system, it will be quicker for everyone?

I don't know why the electronic system wasn't working but the officers were having to call out the next number every time - not a problem for me but if anyone was slightly deaf, they could easily find it difficult to hear their number being called due to the ambient noise in the building.

Alan

What tiem did you go to do your reporting? There seems to be still some bottlenecks and I was doing a Re-entry not 90-day reporting so no clue how that works.

The Re-entry desk was also relying on people paying attention to their number being called to collect the passport with no sign of the automated number system and a manual flip-counter on the end desk that had dubious purpose. It seems the 'most deaf' were blethering Russian ladies but probably most non-English speakers would need to pay attention. When there was no takers to the number calling, the girls would eventually hold up the passport picture page to get the babushka's attention.

I have just been to do my 90 day (6/3/15)

Arrived at 11.35

They are closed 12 to 1pm

"Come back after 1pm"

They are still a lower 3rd world country

And will remain so.

I have just been to do my 90 day (6/3/15)

Arrived at 11.35

They are closed 12 to 1pm

"Come back after 1pm"

They are still a lower 3rd world country

And will remain so.

You could have sat there for an hour and 25 minutes and accomplished nothing.....Id say you won.

You are right.

But 40 minutes travelling (new road restrictions) and they don't even apologies for breaking there own time schedule.

Now I have to make the whole trip again.

You are right.

But 40 minutes travelling (new road restrictions) and they don't even apologies for breaking there own time schedule.

Now I have to make the whole trip again.

Get there no earlier than 9.30 and no later than 10.30 and you'll be sorted before lunch.

I will leave you to work out whatever logistics you need to fit that rather generous 1-hour slot.

PS. Why didn't you come back after 1 PM like she suggested? You would have been done by 2 PM.

(I think it's after midnight that your songtaew turns into a pumpkin no?)

I've done a 90 day report and an extension in the past week. The extension took me less than 10 minutes. A record. The 90 day report on the same day took me over 40 minutes.

Today, the 90 day desk was packed. Dozens of people all standing around trying to hear the numbers being called out. The extension desk guy was sitting there bored with nobody in line.

Strange new procedure for getting your passport back. You have to pick it up in person as they now take your picture. Wifey tried to pick it up for me on Tuesday. No way.