What is your favourite noodle dish?

TravelinginTh

I am a vegetarian and I simply love thai noodle dishes. Like any backpacker I started from pad-thai on Khao San and it was my favourite until trying rat na, khao soy and later pad see ew, which is my present favourite. These sen yai noodles is my comfort meal and if I have a bad day it lifts my mood immediately. What other dishes recommended to try?

Linguine with clam sauce.

Okay, okay … the phad see ew is very good, but absolutely must be prepared with extreme heat, other wise is mush. The burner BTUs must be sufficient to climb the side of the wok, and ignite the oil inside the pan.

Then you have that fantastic charred flavor.

lard nah (as we say in the far north east) similar Laos dish. The only thing I find that is much different is the gravy and almost always served with broccoli. As well my wife makes a wicked version of what she calls Yam Moo (but again it is a hybrid of thai/laos cooking), spicy glass noodles with veggies (we will add shrimp or thinly sliced pigs ear) but is also superb without meat. Sweet and spicy...

In MaeChan between C/Rai and Myanmar ( possibly where I live ) we get a choice in 100metres of either khao soy gai or the best Padthai I know of , either is 35B. Ah but the Friday night market has something new to me , he only prepares 20 of these dishes then he goes home. I have asked the wife what it is called and the nearest I get is Khao cooked a bit . Any one know what Kaocookedabit is , it comes in a styrefoam box , it is wrapped in a banana leaf , consists of about 5 different things . Only one I recognise is sweet strips of pork.

In MaeChan between C/Rai and Myanmar ( possibly where I live ) we get a choice in 100metres of either khao soy gai or the best Padthai I know of , either is 35B. Ah but the Friday night market has something new to me , he only prepares 20 of these dishes then he goes home. I have asked the wife what it is called and the nearest I get is Khao cooked a bit . Any one know what Kaocookedabit is , it comes in a styrefoam box , it is wrapped in a banana leaf , consists of about 5 different things . Only one I recognise is sweet strips of pork.

Khao Kluk Kapi (ข้าวคลุกกะปิ)

post-72929-0-31770600-1424950988_thumb.j

Edited by Michaelaway

My favourite noodle dish is a white one with a blue design which I found on a market stall a few years back........ whoops

Phat kee mao, a very hot version of phat see eww which is a famous thai hangover cure. I recommend it without the hangover though.

Edited by fozzy58uk

• 2 weeks later...

I’m also a fan of Pad See Ew — another dish made from the big rice noodles is the “summer rolls”, a rice noodle roll that is not deep fried, though It’s not that common.

Another noodle is the “woon sen” (glass noodle), if you’re down south and eat sea food then definitely get Yam Woon Sen Talay (spicy sea food salad with glass noodles). You can skip the Talay if you do not want the sea food part.

But you can also get the glass noodles in pad thai, noodle soup, etc.

• 1 month later...

My favourite noodle dish is a white one with a blue design which I found on a market stall a few years back........ whoops

Phat kee mao, a very hot version of phat see eww which is a famous thai hangover cure. I recommend it without the hangover though.

Excellent choice, usually have mine with seafood

• 2 weeks later...

the noodle soup that has dark brown coloured stock, and a ba-mee (yellow egg noodles) and has blood, chicken's leg and feet and veg in it - the thai name escapes me, but it is LUSH! it's the only preparation of chicken's feet i like.

edit - the missus has reminded me of the name, it's ก๋วยเตี๋ยวไก่มะระ which reads kway-teow gai-ma-ra

Edited by GooEng

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I actually find most thai noodle dishes uninspiring mostly as I haven't been able to find a noodle soup with broth available for breakfast...people in my house are rice eaters and there is only kwiteow if someone goes out to get it as takeaway in the evenings...I usually pick out the noodles and leave the rest...

in Jakarta I was a mie ayam addict...if I couldn't get my dose when arriving at work in the morning my whole day was ruined...

in Vietnam I was quite partial to the pho and bun soups, quite a variety between north and south...unfortunately that was the only thing worth eating there...

these days when at home (and also at work in the Middle East) I make do with a packet of instant noodles in the morning...in the Middle East you can get Indomie 'soto mie' flavored instant noodles...quite nice...all chemicals, of course...