Keeping Paperwork Under The Seat?

WingNut

I only keep copies with me. Never taking the greenbook out.

Yes, what I'm carrying is copies of the greenbook pages too. The original never leaves the house.

The question though was do people lock their paperwork under the seat or carry it on their person?

If it's locked inside the bike, and the bike gets stolen, then the thieves have copies of all your paperwork. Bad policy I think. My paperwork is always on my body when riding and never locked up inside the bike when I'm not riding.

I'm sure I would forget the docs if they're not on a bike, I often forget something...

Put all the papers in a ziplock bag and leave them in your riding jacket. Or if you have a riding pack or backpack you always take with you when you ride then put it in the riding bag. Or keep the paperwork next to your keys in the house. Easy enough not to forget the paperwork that way when you go out. I think the benefits of not locking it in the bike outweigh the negatives. Just my 2 satang. Edited by WingNut

We own 1 bike, 2 scooters and 1 truck in the household.

I use a small belt bag and carry all documents (copy only) for said vehicles on me from the time I put my trousers on (normally after a shower in the morning) and can take off on any anytime I want and don't have to worry about the right paper work.

My driver licenses and copy of pass port, ATM cards, it's all there.

• Like 1

We own 1 bike, 2 scooters and 1 truck in the household.

I use a small belt bag and carry all documents (copy only) for said vehicles on me from the time I put my trousers on (normally after a shower in the morning) and can take off on any anytime I want and don't have to worry about the right paper work.

My driver licenses and copy of pass port, ATM cards, it's all there.

Sounds like a great system!

I think it is too hot to wear a jacket.

Copies under the sea except for the 'tax disc', which you are obliged to carry.

Police seem happy with copies.

Originals (book, insurances) in the safe.

Driving licence in pocket of course, but I do have a copy of that under the seat too.

Edited by jacko45k

To be honest, I tend to have my documents in the bike. Everything is also on my phone and saved in my cloud.

I know that there's a bit of risk in that, but my bikes are unusual, I live in the countryside, and the stickers on the bikes stand out.

When I ride to BKK I put the docs in a bag.

(so that they are not in the bike overnight even though we have security at our BKK place, it just doesn't feel as safe as my housing in Nakhon Nayok)

Edited by jdinasia

On a serious note I only carry copies of my paperwork in the seat (even though stealing it would be pointless). My licence is in my wallet anyway.

Dude, if it's true and Thai people donate spare parts to keep your bike running, nobody wants it! :P

• Like 1

I have had a bike here for 12 years and have always kept the green book under the seat. Had two bikes in that time and never had one stolen, tho there is always a first time. Asked to show green book twice, both on sukhumvit south of jomtien.

Obviously, you've been very lucky for 12 years, but the question is -- why would you want

to set yourself up for the possibility of making a thief very happy. Doesn't seem logical.

That's like all the folks who carry their cash in their wallet. When I was 14 yrs old i had $5

stolen from my wallet in a school locker room. Last time I ever put cash in my wallet.

I always keep my cash in the front pocket of my trousers. As long as I'm still alive a thief

will never steal my cash. And if I'm dead i won't give a damn anyway... sick.gif

Of all the times I got stopped at checkpoints, police have never asked me for my papers, neither on my bike or in my car, they are only interested in my driver's licence.

Me too. Never asked for any of the paperwork other than the tax sticker on the window and my DL. I don't carry any docs not even PP. Never been asked in twelve years.

• 2 weeks later...

55555 There are some of us, the cannot even find our keys in the morning, and then cannot find where we put our wallet, and then then there are some of us who put everything in one place, then forget to take it... 55555

I have photos of everything on my smartphone. Iv never had a problem with using this method yet.

I can't really see a problem with having copies under the seat. If the bike is stolen / stopped, the cops won't check to see if it's stolen anyway. They will get used for clearing rainwater off the seat though.