Non Immigrant O

hi,

been getting lots of conflicting thoughts about this and would really like to know if this is possible. I have a 3 and a half month old baby and a de facto. been in Thailand for nearly 6 and a half years. had a work permit until the 30 of June this year. lost my job at an international school...am teaching English part-time now...got very little money...on a tourist visa and I've got a family to support. I guess the shit has hit the fan. please, I don't need any smart arse comments...if you have an opinion, keep it to yourself. i need some facts. can you get a non immigrant O visa without having 400,000 in the bank? if so, how?

help much appreciated

thanks

len

hi,

been getting lots of conflicting thoughts about this and would really like to know if this is possible. I have a 3 and a half month old baby and a de facto. been in Thailand for nearly 6 and a half years. had a work permit until the 30 of June this year. lost my job at an international school...am teaching English part-time now...got very little money...on a tourist visa and I've got a family to support. I guess the shit has hit the fan. please, I don't need any smart arse comments...if you have an opinion, keep it to yourself. i need some facts. can you get a non immigrant O visa without having 400,000 in the bank? if so, how?

help much appreciated

thanks

len

It shouldn't be a problem to get the Non Immigrant Type O Visa if you are married without the 400000thb. .... the 400000 thb you need only to make the Type O non immigrant Visa's Extension .

Not sure though how this works when you have a Baby here ...i think lopburi gives the better advice here.

Can you perhaps find a Job at another School that offers work permit? That would resolve two problems..job & Visa + wp...

rcm :o

Edited by rcm

Hi Len, well, no lecture here, bad stuff happens. If we could foresee it then it wouldn't happen, would it?

Anyway, you may have difficulty with the one year extension. Thailand doesn't recognize defacto and although you are eligible for the "support of a thai national" apparently it is hard to get.

There is a thread here about it, you might try contacting the OP and see how his went.

Visa Based On Marriage To A Thai National, "If an alien is the supporter, he must submit financial evidence

Hi,

Just wondering if they'll give you this visa if you say that you're supporting your wife? I actually am supporting her but I'm going to be out of a job in 7 months and will no longer hold a work permit.

cheers

I believe you are asking about the one year extension of stay for supporting a Thai wife. Can you meet the financial requirements? If so and you have been here 60 days on your current entry why not visit immigration with your wife and the paperwork to apply? The requirements are 40k income or 400k in local bank account or combo to meet that requirement. What you do next year if you do not have income of some kind and/or 400k in bank account would probably have to be a return to multi entry O visas from Penang or another country to visit family.

=====================================================

If we could foresee it then it wouldn't happen, would it?

What became of Lopburi's advice to you from seven months ago when you knew you were losing your job then?

Were you able to follow through on any of it since then?

hi,

help much appreciated

thanks

len

Hi Lenn2005,

I've just returned from Penang and obtained a 12 month non imm 'O' visa on the basis of having a Thai baby - I'm not married.

The consulate (or agent) needs a copy of the birth certificate showing your name as the father and, I'm sorry to to say, I was asked for a bank statement showing at least 400,000 Baht. I really don't understand why because technically you only need to show this when you're extending the entry stamp for 365 days at an immigration office in Thailand. Fortunately I'd gone prepared with everything I could think of, knowing how difficult the consulate staff can be at times, so it wasn't a problem.

If money is a bit tight I should give Penang a miss and try another destination - KL or Singapore? I don't see why you shouldn't get it.

Good luck

Geoffphuket

hi,

help much appreciated

thanks

len

Hi Lenn2005,

I've just returned from Penang and obtained a 12 month non imm 'O' visa on the basis of having a Thai baby - I'm not married.

The consulate (or agent) needs a copy of the birth certificate showing your name as the father and, I'm sorry to to say, I was asked for a bank statement showing at least 400,000 Baht. I really don't understand why because technically you only need to show this when you're extending the entry stamp for 365 days at an immigration office in Thailand. Fortunately I'd gone prepared with everything I could think of, knowing how difficult the consulate staff can be at times, so it wasn't a problem.

If money is a bit tight I should give Penang a miss and try another destination - KL or Singapore? I don't see why you shouldn't get it.

Good luck

Geoffphuket

I may be slightly wrong here, and it is getting late.... but you only need the 400.000 B if you are applying for an extension of the 'O' Visa you already hold.... which has to be done at an immigration office within Thailand

If you go to Penang you only need to prove one thing ...... you have a Thai dependant.... nothing else.... apart from the visa fee of course.

I may be slightly wrong here, and it is getting late.... but you only need the 400.000 B if you are applying for an extension of the 'O' Visa you already hold.... which has to be done at an immigration office within Thailand

If you go to Penang you only need to prove one thing ...... you have a Thai dependant.... nothing else.... apart from the visa fee of course.

That certainly used to be the case, but if you check some recent reports from Penang here, you will notice that Penang has started to demand proof of 400.000 baht in the bank for Non-Immigrant O visa applications. Whether they do it for all of them or just for some, if it is for first timers or for people who already have one in their passport that has not been extended in Thailand, I do not know.

I got a 90 day non-immigrant "O" visa on 3 August in Phnom Pehn. I submitted my marriage certificate and my childrens' birth certificates - no evidence of 400,000 baht in the bank or 40,000 per month income required. Took 2 working days.

The box I checked on the application form was "family reunion." In fact, there were no choices listed for supporting wife or children.

Edited by haroldc

I got a 90 day non-immigrant "O" visa on 3 August in Phnom Pehn. I submitted my marriage certificate and my childrens' birth certificates - no evidence of 400,000 baht in the bank or 40,000 per month income required. Took 2 working days.

The box I checked on the application form was "family reunion." In fact, there were no choices listed for supporting wife or children.

Amazing isn't it how Thai consulates in different countries can interpret visa regulations how they please. The staff at Penang have obviously decided to make life as difficult as possible if you can't show everything they ask for.

Does anyone know if they ask to see 400,000 Baht at the consulate in KL?

i have the same problem, both the OP and i need to know if you can get MULTI-ENTRY NON-IMM O

spousal or family visas in penang WITHOUT 400,000 same as it was 6 months ago?

I returned from Penang on Thursday, and if I'd not got a statement showing over 400,000, it was made clear they'd refuse the 'O' visa....sorry for the bad news.

I've asked if anyone know what the situation is in KL, that could be a better option for you.

Edited by geoffphuket

I returned from Penang on Thursday, and if I'd not got a statement showing over 400,000, it was made clear they'd refuse the 'O' visa....sorry for the bad news.

I've asked if anyone know what the situation is in KL, that could be a better option for you.

Geoff, I have a question, if I may. What did you write on the visa application form in the field “Purpose of visit”?

--------------

Maestro

The agent (NJ Book Centre) filled the form out for me - as he does for everyone, I only signed it, I didn't see what he put in the 'purpose of visit' box - sorry.

He took me by surprise when he asked for a bank statement. My past 3 visits to Penang, I've taken one and never needed it, I wasn't going to bother this time; good thing I did.

The agent (NJ Book Centre) filled the form out for me - as he does for everyone...
It makes one wonder how the consulate chooses whom to ask for a bankbook with a balance of 400K and whom not to ask. It can’t be the reason stated on the application form, then. Perhaps it is the history shown in the passport?

Maybe they think that a man with a Thai wife should apply only for a single-entry non-O and then get extensions in Thailand. Or they don’t like to see back-to-back multiple entry visas with hardly any time spent outside Thailand? Futile to try and guess, probably, but they must have had instructions from higher up.

--------------

Maestro

Meastro are you implying that in some instances 400,000BHT in the bank is not needed.

after contacting NJ books they claim you don't need it. however they will say anything to get you there.

also, please don't take this the wrong way anyone but could a persons age have anything to do with it.

As it is i have big problems, the company i work for won't give me a work permit, (i'm not a teacher) i don't really earn enough to qualify either.

i have a wife and child and face the prospect of being even more illegal than now. as it is with a non-imm o immigration are'nt to fussed if they catch you working, after all they know you have a family to provide for.

2 questions i have, is there any way i can force the company i work for in to giving me a WP (obviously i know i can leave)

what other options are there if i can't get a non imm-O, (obviously i know i can get a single entry but going to penang every 3 months is out of the question)

Meastro are you implying that in some instances 400,000BHT in the bank is not needed.
The answer to your question is in post #7 of this thread.

No clear pattern has emerged yet as to whether Penang asks all male applicants for a multiple-entry non-O visa, married to a Thai, for the purpose to “visit family” to show proof of 400 K in the bank.

--------------

Maestro

would like to say thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge and experience on this. it's been really helpful.

just got back from a visa run an hour ago and found out something new. aparently if you have a child, but you're not married, it's impossible to get an O visa anywhere except from your home country. I don't know if you still have to have 400,000 when applying for it back home.

am going to try to find out about KL and Singapore. will keep you posted.

cheers

Len

would like to say thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge and experience on this. it's been really helpful.

just got back from a visa run an hour ago and found out something new. aparently if you have a child, but you're not married, it's impossible to get an O visa anywhere except from your home country. I don't know if you still have to have 400,000 when applying for it back home.

am going to try to find out about KL and Singapore. will keep you posted.

cheers

Len

Sorry Lenn, but your info is wrong. I returned from Penang on Thursday with my 12 month non imm' 'O' visa, based on having a Thai baby - I'm not married.

Sunbelt Asia will confirm that it's possible,

Cheers,

geoffphuket

Sorry Lenn, but your info is wrong. I returned from Penang on Thursday with my 12 month non imm' 'O' visa, based on having a Thai baby - I'm not married.

Cheers,

geoffphuket

Actually, I have no reason to doubt you or Sunbelt. got this bit of info from a Thai chap and I had a feeling he didn't really know what he was talking about and was saying something just for the sake of not loosing face.

about the 400,000...I might be able to borrow that. will I be able to draw that out as soon as I get the visa?

cheers again

Len

Cheers,

geoffphuket

Actually, I have no reason to doubt you or Sunbelt. got this bit of info from a Thai chap and I had a feeling he didn't really know what he was talking about and was saying something just for the sake of not loosing face.

about the 400,000...I might be able to borrow that. will I be able to draw that out as soon as I get the visa?

cheers again

Len

Wouldn’t like to comment on that, other than to say it might look a bit suspicious that the money had just appeared in your account.

I’d just clarify a point made earlier, that it was the agent that asked me for the bank statement showing 400,000 Baht – not the consulate. It’s entirely possible that it’s him that is misinformed.

Before I did the trip, I e-mailed NJ Bookshop, asking what documents they required; the answer came back, only the birth certificate for my baby. As I knew this to be wrong, I went prepared with everything I could think of.

That certainly used to be the case, but if you check some recent reports from Penang here, you will notice that Penang has started to demand proof of 400.000 baht in the bank for Non-Immigrant O visa applications. Whether they do it for all of them or just for some, if it is for first timers or for people who already have one in their passport that has not been extended in Thailand, I do not know.

Sorry Maestro, i asked you if you were implying that in some cases 400,000BHT in the bank was not needed. the above post does not answer that question.

the reason for my question to you is your questioning of geoff's filling out of forms and reasons for application.

i am fully aware the wasa no need in the past, having been there and received non imm o visas for the last 2 years.

so, are you implying in some cases you know of it hasn't been asked for?

one other thing i would like to add, from the start of this thread, and in another thread i started, my request for advice has been regarding SPOUSAL NON-IMM O, geoff don't take this the wrong way but your posts at the start are a little bit vauge to say the least. keeping in mind you have already told me ....sorry but you won't be able to get it unless you have 400,000

you even PMed me from another thread,turns out your in a completely different boat to me.

i have a thai wife and baby, my last 2 visas were spousal i intend my next one to be the same if it is do-able

Edited by classic-chassis

i have a thai wife
Two days ago it was a de facto, today it’s a wife. Have you got legally married in the meantime?

--------------

Maestro

That is Lenn2005 without the wife. Lenn2005 situation seems to be the same as Geoff, although Geoff has a history of previous visas.

Two days ago it was a de facto, today it’s a wife. Have you got legally married in the meantime?

Maestro, you seem a little confused! i would suggest you read a little more carefuly, i have said from the start, in both this thread and the one i started, that i was married to a thai national with kids.

So the answer to you question is no, i haven't got married legally in the last few days, i always have been since posting on this forum.

obviously, i can see for you reputation points you are a major player on this forum. don't take it the wrong way mate, but if you are going to try and discredit me by suggesting i haven't read other poster comments properly becuause the answers to the questions i posted have already been answered get your facts right :o

You still haven't answered my original question. are YOU suggesting that in some cases 400,000 is not needed in the bank?

thanks in advance

are YOU suggesting that in some cases 400,000 is not needed in the bank?
There is this Malaysian man in Penang whom I know from business. Married to a Thai lady living in Hat Yai. He visits her most weekends, and two or three times a year several weeks at a time.

I called him this morning and he says he got his last multiple-entry non-O visa from the Thai consulate in Penang in February of this year and had to show now money and no Thai bank book with money in it.

--------------

Maestro

are YOU suggesting that in some cases 400,000 is not needed in the bank?
There is this Malaysian man in Penang whom I know from business. Married to a Thai lady living in Hat Yai. He visits her most weekends, and two or three times a year several weeks at a time.

I called him this morning and he says he got his last multiple-entry non-O visa from the Thai consulate in Penang in February of this year and had to show now money and no Thai bank book with money in it.

--------------

Maestro

Good to know that. It confirms what I was told when I rang the Penang embassy. I asked if I could obtain an O visa not being married and if the 400,000 was needed. All he said was that your application would need to be considered. It might be worth a try. The most they could say is no...at least I'll be able to get a 3 month multiple entry tourist visa. Also rang Singapore..if you're not married, it's a definate no..no.

cheers

Len