Name On Airline Ticket

My wife has a Swiss and a Thai Passport whereas the name in the Swiss is our family name and in the thai passport her thai name.

Normally we only travel to Thailand on holidays and she would enter Thailand on the Swiss passport (no visa needed for below 30 days). Now we want to relocate to Thailand.

Normally she could enter Thailand with the Thai passport, but then the airline ticket name is not matching. If she would enter Thailand with Swiss passport she would perhaps come on a computer list of visitors having not left the kingdom. If we would issue the ticket on the Thai name I have a problem in Switzerland during the departure as it would not match the name in the swiss passport.

Anyone has similar problems and how did you solve it?

i dont think they look at the ticket when you enter the country.
I can confirm that they don’t look at the ticket when you enter Thailand.

Your wife should get her ticket in the Swiss name. In Switzerland,

– check in for the flight with the Swiss passport. If there is a question about the visa for Thailand (there should be no such question if she has a return ticket), show also the Thai passport to indicate that no visa is needed.

– At passport control, show only the Swiss passport and the boarding pass, unless questioned about the Thai visa (unlikely), in which case she can show also the Thai passport to indicate that no visa is needed.

– In Thailand, at passport control show the Thai passport.

If she has a return ticket, in Thailand

– check in for the flight with the Swiss passport.

– At passport control, show the Thai passport, unless questioned about the Swiss visa (unlikely), in which case show also the Swiss passport to indicate that no visa is needed.

– In Switzerland, at passport control show the Swiss passport.

It is legal for your Thai wife to have dual Swiss and Thai nationality both under Swiss laws and under Thai laws.

--------------

Maestro

Edited by maestro

My wife is also dual

Thai passport: Thai name + Thai last name

US passport:

(first name) - American name

(middle name or given names in US pp) - Thai name and Thai last name - match with thai pp

(last name) - my american last name

Edited by BKK90210

Dual citizenship will be fine with many countries and Thailand.. BUT.. holding ID cards, passports or other ID`s with different names but with the same photo of the same person is illegal in every country and considered a serious offence.

In your case, in America and Thailand you will manage to more easy explain you out of this situation.

But note note this! In any other country, if the police or immigration for some reason should stumble over you documents and it would be 100 % sure you will be brought in for questioning

and hold to the case is solved. If required days to solve this also mean sleeping over at the police station or immigration.

Can take some time when the thai embassy, consulate or whatever is there to solve this. Could turn out to be quite an unpleasant holiday!

You should change it asap and get the exact same names on all ID`s.

show both passports if necessary.
Take your marriage certificate with you. It will be an easy way to show why there are two names. Once in Thailand, your wife can change her name to the married one if she wants - it will save future hassles.

If the same person has to passports with two different names DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE show this to any immigration officer and do not carry the two on you at the same time. If in need of having it cross borders have it sent to your destination with DHL or similar.

Thai immigration would know that many thais are living under dual citizenship so in this case it would involve one of their own nationals and for the US immigration being the same situation,

it would not be complicated to have it sort out by looking at the marriage certificate and by going through offical channels. In this case the thai officials or the US officials would be able to verify their status quite easy and maybe fast as they are present.

In this case or any other case being outside these/your borders and it will be ""T H E"" biggest red alert for immigration to hold you back and one of your biggest mistake ever. The more primitive country transiting through or visiting and also the bigger your mistake will be.

Any other country would not have the slightest idea about how a stupid marriage certificate from the US or Thailand would look like and wouldnt care less. Without your countries officials being present right there, which would likely to be the case and you got yourself into problems.

What days are we living in?? Use your heads! Traveling around with the most approved identification documents available.. two of them.. and with different names.. but with the same face.

Try to see this from the suspicious immigrations point of view. If people could travel around with different names in their passports just showing a stupid paper hel_l would be loose. Imagine the uncontrolable situation it would be. Dual citizenship are headache for some countries enought as it is but this case is something way other than that.

What country does not ban this. NONE!

Case like this i grade A priority for immigration.

You know you are a good citizen but the immigration does not. Thats the fact and the point they will start working from if any problems.

Imaging losing your flight in a transit or from a holiday destination, spending time being questioned, held and chances of being locked up to case is solved...

If the same person has to passports with two different names DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE show this to any immigration officer and do not carry the two on you at the same time.
You’ve got a good point there, F1.

The immigration officer sees a person of Asian appearance with two passports in different names and a red flag goes up. Suicide bomber?

The other day I read about two Pakistanis, university students, who were thrown off a plane after boarding at the airport of a Spanish holiday resort – no passports in different names or immigration officials involved in this case. An old lady saw them look at their watches and speak in a language (Urdu) she did not understand, reported them to cabin staff, suspicions arose, other passengers mutinied and the pilot had to have the two Pakistanis taken off the plane so as to restore order and be able to take off.

By comparison, being caught by immigration officials with two passports in different names would indeed look much more suspicious.

It would be safer for the OP’s wife to travel with her Swiss passport to Thailand again this time and then in Thailand get her Thai passport and ID changed to match the name on the Swiss passport. Or if she can get a Swiss passport in her maiden name, that would be an alternative but I believe not possible at this point in time; she would have had to request it before the wedding.

--------------

Maestro

Sorry guys....! Imeant Switzerland and not US/ America in my post.

If the flight was directly between Switzerland and Thailand I would probably bring both passports with me for this last time but just using and showing ONE of them. Still be prepared to have answers ready for immigration if something should happen.

It is illegal and if they saw both they could file a case if not in a good mode that day. What the outcome of a scenario like this would be would also depend on recently happenings regarding terror and immigration issues.

Transit or holiday in another country than the above and you should leave one at home or have it sent by a courier.

Sorry guys....! Imeant Switzerland and not US/ America in my post.

If the flight was directly between Switzerland and Thailand I would probably bring both passports with me for this last time but just using and showing ONE of them. Still be prepared to have answers ready for immigration if something should happen.

It is illegal and if they saw both they could file a case if not in a good mode that day. What the outcome of a scenario like this would be would also depend on recently happenings regarding terror and immigration issues.

Transit or holiday in another country than the above and you should leave one at home or have it sent by a courier.

What makes you think it is illegal? I believe that the law has been changed and it is now legal for Thais to hold dual citizenship. The important bit is to use the same passport to enter as the one you use to leave.

The question is having passports in different names. That indeed would be a red light and have to be explained. In most cases believe it would involve no more than presenting the marriage certificate but why chance the stress? The Thai passport has an amendment page so I would ask a full Consulate if they could enter the new name there. If they can it should solve any questions with a page turn.

I do not believe Thailand (or even the USA) recognize duel citizenship by law. But they do not have laws preventing it so it is accepted in day to day life.

What makes you think it is illegal? I believe that the law has been changed and it is now legal for Thais to hold dual citizenship. The important bit is to use the same passport to enter as the one you use to leave.
lots of people have two passports,carry both and shouldnt have any problem.

What you two are writing about has absolutely NOTHING to do with this case. Please read the text before posting.

Regarding what you two are talking about and as Lopburi3 says: "I do not believe Thailand (or even the USA) recognize duel citizenship by law. But they do not have laws preventing it so it is accepted in day to day life."

..I would recon it as 99% ok to travel around with dual citizenship. Dont expect it to be smooth everywhere around the globe.

Passports in two different name is a totally different case!

If traveling around with these two passports you are actually under a false ID. You are married, have changed your name and are no longer this person and are not in anyway entitled to longer have this ID or using it. If not changed into your new name it should be demolished. Easy as that.

If this was legal it would mean absolutely no sense. It would actually even be possible to acquire more passports with different names. If you divorced, married again and then obtained a third passport. Heck of a situation out there if this was legal. Some countries have a 50% divore rate.. Got it.

This case is making it possible to be two different persons as you ve also got a new national security number connected to your new passport.

The use of both makes it possible to travel in and out of many countries without leaving any trace of where you went. A situation no government would want to have.

Your name is YOU and Its one of THE most important criteria to identify YOU as who YOU are!

Dual citizenship is something else people.

Edited by F1 Visa Runner

It is a great misunderstanding by many having dual citizenship that they should use both. It should only be locked at as exactly what it is. In most cases only be kept as a backup if returning to this country for good.

This is from the the US immigrations but will be the reason for most countries accepting it and why it is possible:

Nonetheless, official U.S. policy has been to discourage the incidence of dual nationality. The Government accepts but does not recognize or approve of dual nationality. The Government accepts it: "only as the result of separate conflicting laws of other countries."

If we would issue the ticket on the Thai name I have a problem in Switzerland during the departure as it would not match the name in the swiss passport.

In your case your wife should travel under her swiss passport with her new name which now is her real name and new identity. Because you are relocating and planning on staying longer she should when in Thailand first change the name in her thai passport and then report to the immigration.

I guess all her other documents, bank cards, id cards etc is in her new Swiss name. Traveling under her old name and passport would be recognised as under a false ID.

NOTE!

If you have dual citizenship, you have rights and obligations with respect to two different states or countries.

You are entitled to the protection of the authorities of both countries.

But..

Please note that it may be difficult for the authorities to provide you with diplomatic assistance when you are in the other country where you are a citizen.

Edited by F1 Visa Runner

It is a great misunderstanding by many having dual citizenship that they should use both. It should only be locked at as exactly what it is. In most cases only be kept as a backup if returning to this country for good.

This is from the the US immigrations but will be the reason for most countries accepting it and why it is possible:

Nonetheless, official U.S. policy has been to discourage the incidence of dual nationality. The Government accepts but does not recognize or approve of dual nationality. The Government accepts it: "only as the result of separate conflicting laws of other countries."

If we would issue the ticket on the Thai name I have a problem in Switzerland during the departure as it would not match the name in the swiss passport.

In your case your wife should travel under her swiss passport with her new name which now is her real name and new identity. Because you are relocating and planning on staying longer she should when in Thailand first change the name in her thai passport and then report to the immigration.

I guess all her other documents, bank cards, id cards etc is in her new Swiss name. Traveling under her old name and passport would be recognised as under a false ID.

NOTE!

If you have dual citizenship, you have rights and obligations with respect to two different states or countries.

You are entitled to the protection of the authorities of both countries.

But..

Please note that it may be difficult for the authorities to provide you with diplomatic assistance when you are in the other country where you are a citizen.

While there is nothing that you have said that I disagree with, and I have argued the same in the past (post 9/11), at no time have I actually seen or heard of a Thai/US or Thai/UK dual having difficulties in Thailand because their Thai documents are in their maiden name and their foreign documents are in their married name. Local Immigration authorities have understood this and accepted it. Therefore, while I fully understand the rationale for your comments, are you specifically aware of a change in practice of how the Thai authorities view this situation?

Having the documents VS showing the documents will be two different things.

Also dont mix up the difference of a dual citizenship with the use of two different names. Your old name is not you anymore..period!

Thai immigration authoroties might handle this different than other countries though it is strictly illegal in Thailand by law.

I doubt there is another country in the world where nationals marry more people abroad than in Thailand so yes they are used to duals. They can also read thai certificates as they are thais.

As for those who didnt get it the bottom line is.

If you start traveling around the globe with these documents it will just slip your mind after some time. I belive after a couple of years its just natural bringing both with you when traveling.

Thats where your misstake is.

Edited by F1 Visa Runner

lots of people have two passports,carry both and shouldnt have any problem.

What you two are writing about has absolutely NOTHING to do with this case. Please read the text before posting.....

.....If traveling around with these two passports you are actually under a false ID.

Perhaps you should read my text before posting. What I said was that the important thing is that she should use the same passport to enter and leave the country. She is not committing a crime by having her Thai passport in her maiden name. It is not "false" I.D. as you put it. It is the name on her Tabien Baan and all her other I.D. in Thailand. She has since been issued with a Swiss passport that has her new married family name. That does not make it a crime to possess the Thai one!

What I also said was that she should register her family name to save any future hassles. They will not even issue a new passport. They will simply stamp her current one indicating a new family name. This can be done at her nearest embassy. Once in Thailand she can also change all her other I.D. if she wants, although this takes a bit more effort.

This is all a very normal process and is done by thousands of people every year.

Perhaps you should read my text before posting. What I said was that the important thing is that she should use the same passport to enter and leave the country. She is not committing a crime by having her Thai passport in her maiden name. It is not "false" I.D. as you put it. It is the name on her Tabien Baan and all her other I.D. in Thailand. She has since been issued with a Swiss passport that has her new married family name. That does not make it a crime to possess the Thai one!

What I also said was that she should register her family name to save any future hassles. They will not even issue a new passport. They will simply stamp her current one indicating a new family name. This can be done at her nearest embassy. Once in Thailand she can also change all her other I.D. if she wants, although this takes a bit more effort.

This is all a very normal process and is done by thousands of people every year.

You must be out of your <deleted> mind! Of course everyone understand when getting a new passport and name.. right there.. the seconds after it is handed over to you, and if you choose to become a dual you will have all your other ID`s in your former name.

The point is that this should as soon as possible be changed. And that goes for all your ID`s. It is possible to keep it that way. But it is illegal.

There is no country in the world which allow the use of two different names.

If not thinking always about terror. Could you imagine the mess if for example the swiss embassy for some reason should need to help out this swiss/thai person having some problems in Thailand. Then the thai officals responding.. eeeh we dont have a person by that name with problems here.. We just have a thai here with a slightly different name having problems.. Then the swiss officials responding... really.. ok never mind about this person then. It seems not to be our problem though.

It is dozens of reasons for why this is illegal. By the law you are responsible to change all your identification papers if a new name is given to you. Check with any expert lawyer on this.

The papers are true papers in the way that they originally were issued by officials and not false like if a scammer made them. But the papers are not representing you anymore. Thats why they are false.

Like I said before it would be possible to easily obtain more identities by marrying and devorcing this way. This would actually be a way of getting around for obtaining multi nationalities and ID`s. If not illegal this would be the ultimate way of doing it. The way for all bad guys to get around.

And finally.. when all the bad guys getting questioned by immigration authorieties all over the world had to answer for them. The anwser would be, "I was married 7 years ago to a person with this name and 3 years ago to one named this.. thats why I am carrying them.

If this was allowed not a single immigration officer could do the slightest thing.

Did I knock it into your head good enough now or do you need another round.. :o

I am not trying to be rude here.. But you just have to open your eyes and look beyond the world of the kind innocent couple of Mr an Mrs Smith.

By the law you are responsible to change all your identification papers if a new name is given to you. Check with any expert lawyer on this.

Did I knock it into your head good enough now or do you need another round.. :o

You are wrong. Thai law (and most other countries that I know of) does NOT require a married woman to change her name. Many do not. I have pointed out clearly in my posts the desireablility of changing the Thai passport in the OP's case, as this will save hassle, but you seem unable to read that part of my post.

I think the point is well taken that it is unadvisable in these days to travel with 2 passports with different names. If she changed her name in Switzerland, why did she not in Thailand as well? Is there a law in Switzerland she must take husbands name? Which as pointed out Thailand does not require.

Would highly recommend that on this trip she change ID card and get passport updated.

Sounds like someone fell for old tale that Thai women married to foreigners can't own property

TH

Edited by thaihome

You are wrong. Thai law (and most other countries that I know of) does NOT require a married woman to change her name. Many do not. I have pointed out clearly in my posts the desireablility of changing the Thai passport in the OP's case, as this will save hassle, but you seem unable to read that part of my post.

Looks like we have to knock it in with a hammer then.

There is no law saying "after you marry please go and change your name in your passport and other ID papers bla bla bla..

But,

There are laws cleary saying a person is only entitled to possess or obtain identification papers carrying only your true and full name.

which will then be... your real name... who you are... not who you not are.. not the old you.. with other names on...

Marriage is a case of official matter involving specific departments. Its registered, involving both countries and so on.

If miss Silom Sukhumwith went on marrying Peter Pan. Left her thai surname out so her new name would be Silom Pan.

Do you think she is entitled to run around as Silom Sukhumwith anymore? The answer on that would be no.

If the law was not against this I would like to see the faces of the worlds immigration officers that just had to say "have a good trip then" to any suspicious muslim friend carrying 3-4 passports in different names as that would be quite normal i guess.

Do we need to knock it in with a sledge in the next post?

Looks like we have to knock it in with a hammer then.

There is no law saying "after you marry please go and change your name in your passport and other ID papers bla bla bla..

But,

There are laws cleary saying a person is only entitled to possess or obtain identification papers carrying only your true and full name.

which will then be... your real name... who you are... not who you not are.. not the old you.. with other names on...

Marriage is a case of official matter involving specific departments. Its registered, involving both countries and so on.

If miss Silom Sukhumwith went on marrying Peter Pan. Left her thai surname out so her new name would be Silom Pan.

Do you think she is entitled to run around as Silom Sukhumwith anymore? The answer on that would be no.

If the law was not against this I would like to see the faces of the worlds immigration officers that just had to say "have a good trip then" to any suspicious muslim friend carrying 3-4 passports in different names as that would be quite normal i guess.

Do we need to knock it in with a sledge in the next post?

Well unfortunately, your hammer is rather ineffectual and your best swing is way off the mark. However, I was pleased to note your total U turn thus:

Statement 1

By the law you are responsible to change all your identification papers if a new name is given to you. Check with any expert lawyer on this.

Statement 2

In relation to your But...., perhaps you could post exactly which laws the OP wife has been contravening. I know of laws that exist that relate to use of false documents, intentions to use false documents and possession of false documents with intent to deceive etc. None of these laws would make it an offence for the OP's wife not to change her identity in Thailand. It is this subtle difference that you completely fail to grasp.

Of course police and immigration officers would like it if there were not such things as inconvenient as marriages that lead to a change of name for many woman. But they know that this is a fact of life. Immigration and criminal record computers are equipped to deal with this issue and all are capable of holding details of "maiden names". They are also able to deal with informal aliases and formal name changes that anyone can do. Remember, in the case of marriage, ONLY the surname has changed, not the first name, date or place of birth etc!

I will now repeat my initial post in that the OP should change their details to save future hassles, which the simple solution in this case and one that does not resort to hysterical statements about terrorists.

Feel free to go and get a bigger hammer, but I doubt you are capable of swinging it.