US ambassador expected to be in place before Thailand has elected government

webfact

THAI-US RELATIONS
US ambassador expected to be in place before Thailand has elected government

BANGKOK: -- A new US Ambassador to Thailand is expected to be in place in Thailand even before the country has an elected government, Deputy Foreign Minister Don Pramudwinai said on Thursday.

The US is still in the process of appointing the new envoy to replace Kristy Kenney, Don said, dismissing speculation that it had delayed the dispatch because it is not happy with the political situation in Thailand.

"It is not unusual that there is a void period before a new envoy arrives to take office. Indeed Thailand has still not dispatched its new ambassadors to a number of countries as the processing is not yet complete," he added.

Don also referred to a report that the new Thai Ambassador to the US, Pisarn Manawapt, had already paid a courtesy call on US President Barrack Obama, although he had yet to receive a report on the meeting.

"It is normal for a Thai ambassador to meet the leader of the country and talk about relations and cooperation," Don said.

"Many foreign countries appear to have a better understanding about Thailand. I'm not worried because relations and trade cooperation are still intact," he said.

"However, we must tackle and the problems of human trafficking, which is not acceptable to any countries, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/US-ambassador-expected-to-be-in-place-before-Thail-30254906.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-26

I think everyone here at TV is worldly enough to see the clear picture , I know in my place of origin if there is a change over, the new ambassador is stepping off the plane long before the other leaves.coffee1.gif

You must not be from the US.

The lack of a new USA ambassador in Thailand is a major drawback.

TVF members have not the opportunity to discuss the behaviour of the ambassadors pet as they were doing before with Kristy Kenney's cat.

Hope the new one has got a dog.......like them more than cats.

If the new guy has a dog it will probably be a pit bull.

US in process of naming new ambassador
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A new US ambassador to Thailand is expected to be in place before the country has an elected government, Deputy Foreign Minister Don Pramudwinai said yesterday.

The United States is still in the process of appointing the new envoy to replace Kristie Kenney, Don said, dismissing speculation that it had delayed the dispatch because it is not happy with the political situation in the country after the military seized power last year.

It is not unusual that there is a void before a new envoy arrives to take office. Indeed, Thailand has still not dispatched its own new ambassadors to a number of countries as the processing is not yet complete, he added.

Don was commenting on a report that the new Thai ambassador to the US, Pisarn Manawapt, had paid a courtesy call on President Barack Obama, though he has yet to receive a report on the meeting.

"It is normal for a Thai ambassador to meet the leader of the country and talk about relations and cooperation," Don said.

"Many foreign countries appear to have a better understanding about Thailand. I'm not worried because relations and trade cooperation are still intact.

"However, we must tackle the problems of human trafficking, which is not acceptable to any country," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/US-in-process-of-naming-new-ambassador-30254958.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-27

TVF members have not the opportunity to discuss the behaviour of the ambassadors pet as they were doing before with Kristy Kenney's cat.

The military regime riding roughshod over peoples rights and freedoms, censoring all modes of communication, banning public meetings and setting up re-eductaion facilities is the major drawback!

Yes, it is a shame that the USA has become an armed and occupied camp where police behave like an occupying army, people in peaceful assembly are gassed, beaten, shot and jailed. Where the NSA monitors all communication, and whistle blowers are hunted down and dispatched.

Where the government can take anyone, lock them in Guantanamo with no due process, trial or hope of ever leaving ... and be tortured while imprisoned.

Where it is normal to see people have the most amazing and unfortunate accidents, suicides and heart attacks just when they are ready to go to the press or Congress and tell the story the rich and powerful do not want told..

Sad days for America .. thanks for pointing that out.

Happily, I woke up in the Kingdom, so it is going to be a great day !

the new Thai Ambassador to the US, Pisarn Manawapt, had already paid a courtesy call on US President Barrack Obama, although he had yet to receive a report on the meeting

Forget about receiving that report, envelope was opened by a Thai Post official hunting for cash...

Don was commenting on a report that the new Thai ambassador to the US, Pisarn Manawapt, had paid a courtesy call on President Barack Obama, though he has yet to receive a report on the meeting.

That is if there ever will be a report.

Mister President it's the ambassador from that undemocratic country in SE Asia on the line.

Doesn't matter, just tell him I'm in the bathroom and hang up.

I like elephants.

Edited by micmichd

That is if there ever will be a report.

Mister President it's the ambassador from that undemocratic country in SE Asia on the line.

Doesn't matter, just tell him I'm in the bathroom and hang up.

Is it nice living in a world of fantasy?

The military regime riding roughshod over peoples rights and freedoms, censoring all modes of communication, banning public meetings and setting up re-eductaion facilities is the major drawback!

yes but luckily this is not happening in Thailand.

Re-education facility????

Censoring communications, you mean that system that Thaksin established?

public meetings....at least no government thugs are shooting at public meetings like before.

I turned down the job that is why it's taken so long to get a replacement. I hated the idea of changing my retirement visa to a work visa.

No such thing as a work visa in Thailand. Ambassadors don't need work permits either :)

IF Thailand has an elected government. Nothing is certain as Prayut is rumored to be relishing his power.

I had a date last night with a woman who works for the army and she was telling me about the rampant corruption in the army here... people bribing higher ups 300,000 baht each to be able to sit in officer candidacy exams. She said everyone vying for the 64 slots in the exam had to pay the same amount!!!!!!!!

Never heard the "happiness" general ever talk about cleaning up the corruption in the military in his "drive" to root out corruption.

• Like 2

IF Thailand has an elected government. Nothing is certain as Prayut is rumored to be relishing his power.

I had a date last night with a woman who works for the army and she was telling me about the rampant corruption in the army here... people bribing higher ups 300,000 baht each to be able to sit in officer candidacy exams. She said everyone vying for the 64 slots in the exam had to pay the same amount!!!!!!!!

Never heard the "happiness" general ever talk about cleaning up the corruption in the military in his "drive" to root out corruption.

Strange, I have never heard of that claim..

I am not saying it is impossible but I have not heard of it. I have only lived on Army bases for a few years though.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I turned down the job that is why it's taken so long to get a replacement. I hated the idea of changing my retirement visa to a work visa.

No such thing as a work visa in Thailand. Ambassadors don't need work permits either smile.png

That you for your wisdom and knowledge of Thai immigrations regulations, don't know what I do with you.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

No such thing as a work visa in Thailand. Ambassadors don't need work permits either smile.png

That you for your wisdom and knowledge of Thai immigrations regulations, don't know what I do with you.

You're welcome.