Converting a Non-O visa to retirement

I have a Non-Immigrant ED visa and have extended it one time.

I have until May on my current extension. But, I turn 50 in Mid-March. I wish to convert to a Retirement visa after my extension is complete.

How to convert from ED to retirement? Do I have to leave the country to "cancel" the ED, or can this be done here at immigration?

Thanks

I have a Non-Immigrant ED visa and have extended it one time.

I have until May on my current extension. But, I turn 50 in Mid-March. I wish to convert to a Retirement visa after my extension is complete.

How to convert from ED to retirement? Do I have to leave the country to "cancel" the ED, or can this be done here at immigration?

You will have to leave country and return preferably with a non-imm 'O' visa from Vientane Laos.

The reason is that immigration will not allow you to change reason for the extensions even if the letter of the regulation allows that.

Thanks, some people said to come back on regular tourist visa. What is the benefit or negative to that in your opinion?

It can be negative because you would have to convert the visa in Bangkok only, for which you would have to visit twice. Although I have seen some reports in which the conversion appeared to have been completed immediately.

Edited by paz

Thanks, some people said to come back on regular tourist visa. What is the benefit or negative to that in your opinion?

It can be negative because you would have to convert the visa in Bangkok only, for which you would have to visit twice. Although I have seen some reports in which the conversion appeared to have been completed immediately.

Thank you. To apply for Non O in Vientiane,,,,,what papers would I need?

I recommend yo go with the same papers as you would use for and extension, although the consulate can be less demanding than immigration.

If you do't know what these papers are just browse one or two pages as they are discussed and listed every days multiple times.

You would need your passport and a bank book showing 800k baht in the bank or an income letter from your embassy confirming an income of 65k baht income. If an income letter just attach a copy to your application and show them the original so that you can use it for your extension.

• 3 weeks later...

So I'd like to have confirmation on my understanding about new conversion/application for Non-O Retirement as of early 2015.

1) The only place I can do a new conversion from Visa Exempt to Non-O Retirement within Thailand is at the CW office in Bangkok?

2) I can do a new conversion at the CW office even when my address is in Phuket?

3) It is also possible to apply for a new Non-O Retirement Visa at Vientiane?

Thank you.

Bangkok immigration will do the conversion no matter where you live. You must have 15 days remaining on your entry and it takes 2 trips 15 days apart.

You can get a single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over for retirement in Vientiane or Penang by showing financial proof.

• Like 1

I got the non-immigrant O in Phnom Penh a week ago.

No questions or problems.

You were lucky, Another person was there on Monday and had discuss it with them for a half hour and then waited for 2 hours before they decided to accept his application.

I have a Expired O-A with multiple entries,it expired on me because of eye surgery I had when back in the states now I most go to Vientiane and get new vista dos any one know will they give me the multiple entries.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have a Expired O-A with multiple entries,it expired on me because of eye surgery I had when back in the states now I most go to Vientiane and get new vista dos any one know will they give me the multiple entries.

The best you can hope for is a single entry "Non O" visa which will provide for a 90 day stay. Make sure you have financial proof of being able to meet the requirements of an application for an extension of stay based on retirement.