Contracts

npetit1

Hi all,

I'm buying my first motorbike in Bangkok. It's a private sale and the bike appears in good order, all paperwork etc. The guy asked for for proof of address and name. Now it's gonna be in my Thai partner's name and I will be insured. (Yes i know it's risky doing that) anyway she wasn't there when I went to pay him. He said she needs to sign as it will be in her name, fair enough. So I said I will come back but he has kept my proof of documents and said he will draft a contract.

My question is if for any reason between now and when we go to pay we change our mind, are we legally bound or is it only if the paperwork is signed?

Thanks

Did you leave a deposit? If no you can walk away any time until the money passed hands.

Furthermore, take your GF (if it will be in her name) and the seller with his bike to a local DLT and let them deal with paperwork and a transfer. If anything fishy with the bike, you won't be able to register it and you won't get your money back. Go all together to DLT and once the transfer is complete, hand over the cash. No other ways.

• Like 2

My advice is, do not leave any documents with the seller and absolutely under no circumstances commit yourself to any contracts.

Wait until your girlfriend is ready, take the money and your girlfriend to collect the motorbike, sign the necessary documents not parting with any money until all the paperwork is complete, then drive the motorbike away.

• Like 1

Bought & sold quite a few.

Never a contract.

Bill of sale after completion [in English if farang seller] would be okay but useless really.

Like syrup says don't pay until book is in her name, else you are taking an avoidable risk. .

Money <==> book in her name.

Okay?

Edited by papa al