what does a collar on a dog mean legally?

Does it mean the dog has an owner who is liable for any damage the dog does?

Does it mean another person is liable if they cause injury to the dog, such as accidentally hitting it with a car?

What are the potential fines involved?

If a collar entails ownership, does the collar have to have a tag with the name of the owner...

or is a collar enough to signify ownership rights?

As far as I am aware it doesn't signify anything - except that someone, somewhere has decided to put a collar on at some point in the dog's life.

You will often find soi dogs with collars on - as once upon a time they had an owner before they were dumped - or they maybe ran away and couldn't find their way back.

Also, many dog owners who allow their dogs to run free outside their home often put collars on them, to signify that they have an owner - somewhere.

Although it is supposed to be against Buddhist ethics, the soi dogs around Lake Mabprachan are periodically rounded up and 'disappear'. Whether a collar would exempt such a dog from being rounded up is doubtful, IMHO.

There was a big hue and cry a few years ago about dogs owners being required to microchip their dogs, but as with everything here - it was good idea at the time, but has long since been ignored by both the dog owning public and by the authorities.

• Like 1

The collar on a nice dog that is lose on the streets likes most do, may stop somebody to "adopt" it. Depend the kind of area do you live. If you will feel bad in losing your dog, keep it inside your home all the times. Anyway...Thai dogs are very unique. Its can be running lose on the streets but are very attached to its owners and home. Will resist any attend to be taken by strangers. Legally the collar do not means anything.

Edited by umbanda
  • Like 1

I am guessing the owner likes to show the dog is a pet and not a soi dog..... despite the fact it is left to roam at will.

Personally I like what my dog wears to have more meaning, so in winter it gets a T-Shirt with the logo 'Say No To Drugs'....

Most people put collars on soi dogs as it tends to stop them getting picked up by the dog wardens.Some dogs will live on the streets but get fed by a person or a business .The people just look after the dogs but have no interest in owning them and the dog gets fed, a bit of attention but still gets to roam the streets.

• Like 2

Regarding the OP's question..."what does a collar on a dog mean legally?"

In legal terms it means absolutely nothing. Especially if the dog is out wandering the soi's.

However in humanistic terms it means that...perhaps...at one time the dog belonged to

someone.

Now if the collar is newish looking and one of the nylon web type with a tag & address

attached then the dog most likely does belong to some stupid owner too busy with their

own affairs to look after the dog properly...that is why the dog wearing the collar is going

walkabout wherever. If said dog is in a yard or compound and looks well cared for then

discussing it shouldn't be in this thread because it is, most likely, well cared for.

One of our 6 dogs, Mooch, who is a black Lab street rescue...yes some previous owner

forgot that humans must care for their dog(s) so he ran off and lived rough for a couple

years as local folks informed me at time of rescue...Mooch doesn't wear a collar per se

he wears a harness made out of nylon webbing. In fact all 5 of our other dogs wear these

when we take em out for "walkies" which they cherish even though we live in the sticks.

They still enjoy runs into town when we need to do town things. And the "town people"

really enjoy interacting in a nice friendly manner with our dogs.

Back to Mooch... in particular...when he & I are in town he's on the harness with me

on the other end of the attached lead. Also on his harness one may see an attached

GoPro Hero 4 camera...as we walk the streets doing whatever we came into town for.

After all, he got his name after mooching some of my lunch the day we met and his

antic became his name. Nobody can resist a big black Lab and those brilliant brown

eyes attached to a face that gives you that "Please gimme some" look. So...some days

I attach the camera and we go walkabout....our local folks love the idea.

So legally a collar on a dog means diddly squat. But what the dog may be doing while

wearing a collar may also mean diddly squat...sometimes it means the dog & its human

companion are out having a great day.

Edited by sunshine51

Regarding the OP's question..."what does a collar on a dog mean ?"

1. Collar.. Could mean he's a member of some religious organization.

2. Going to a semi formal function. Just collar, no tie required.

3. Maybe into BDSM.... if the collar is studded.

Legally.... maybe all of the above.

Just sayin..... Cheers..... Mal.

"Does it mean another person is liable if they cause injury to the dog, such as accidentally hitting it with a car?"

Don't understand your 2nd one (above) What has a collar got to do with it?....like...if a car hits a dog, the car is liable if the dog has a collar and not liable if it has no collar.

More lightly the dog owner might be liable for damage caused to a car by their dog as the owner's details would be on the collar.

As far as I am aware it doesn't signify anything - except that someone, somewhere has decided to put a collar on at some point in the dog's life.

You will often find soi dogs with collars on - as once upon a time they had an owner before they were dumped - or they maybe ran away and couldn't find their way back.

Also, many dog owners who allow their dogs to run free outside their home often put collars on them, to signify that they have an owner - somewhere.

Although it is supposed to be against Buddhist ethics, the soi dogs around Lake Mabprachan are periodically rounded up and 'disappear'. Whether a collar would exempt such a dog from being rounded up is doubtful, IMHO.

There was a big hue and cry a few years ago about dogs owners being required to microchip their dogs, but as with everything here - it was good idea at the time, but has long since been ignored by both the dog owning public and by the authorities.

"As far as I am aware it doesn't signify anything - except that someone, somewhere has decided to put a collar on at some point in the dog's life."

Exactly. What else could it mean? Putting a collar on a dog doesn't suddenly invoke some legal commitment to the dog or the general public. Often it can imply that the owner is a little weird though ... and/or receiving medical treatment.

post-145917-0-93595900-1425116380_thumb.

post-145917-0-72766300-1425116401_thumb.

That is only because micro chipping doesn't work here because of a very limited amount of scanners to detect chips

Yeah, basically means it can crap where ever it likes, bite who ever it likes, cause nuisance where ever it likes and be a danger to others and no one will take any responsibility for it, but if Farang so mush as accidently runs it over as it dashed across the road causing an accident or bites you/thretens you and you retaliate, then amazingly an owner will appear to claim compensation for the mut

• Like 1

It only applies to Bangkok and chipping was offered by the BMA free of charge for a limited period.

if Farang so mush as accidently runs it over as it dashed across the road causing an accident or bites you/thretens you and you retaliate, then amazingly an owner will appear to claim compensation for the mut

have you ever seen this happen?

what were the circumstances?

In Ban Amphur there is a farang guy who feeds some of the beach dogs in the parking lot near to the beach. Most of these dogs now have collars so I'm assuming he is responsible for that. As a result this area near to where all the vendors and beach users are is now patrolled by some fierce barking dogs all awaiting the arrival of their next meal. Responsible dog owners who bring their dogs to the beach on leashes to enjoy some exercise, swimming, etc are harassed by these strays. I have asked around and nobody knows who this 'idiot' is that feeds the strays and nobody has seen him cleanup any of the resultant poop either. I am unable to approach him as I always have my dog with me and he is surrounded by 5 or 6 angry dogs that look like they would like to make a meal of mine.

Edited by Keesters
  • Like 1

if Farang so mush as accidently runs it over as it dashed across the road causing an accident or bites you/thretens you and you retaliate, then amazingly an owner will appear to claim compensation for the mut

have you ever seen this happen?

what were the circumstances?

Use the search function, you'll find plenty of these reports on TVF, will let you do the research, drop me a line when you have finished will be happy to disuss your isuues Samizdat

Keesters,

I don't own a dog but don't hate them either, is not the muts fault but the misplaced actions of people who feed these poor animals and thus cause more problems for others and the dogs themselves. I know in my Soi there is two you have to watch for, the rest just bark, but at night they do start to pack then the main two seem to get the others revved up, some of the kids and ladies around the area do get frightened by them and yep crap everywhere. every morning the temple bell dongs and we then get the dogz chorus, Im used to that, reminds me of 101 dalmations... took months to get used to the raquet though lol

Dogs in our nearby temple have collars to denote which one's were given some vaccine by the local government dog crew

They're still essentially soi dogs, but they got some sort of "care" for about 10 minutes one day