Are bikers socially respectable?

dave_boo

There seems to be a lot of differing opinions on this issue. Some even seem to not understand the issue.

The question was, were bikers socially respectable? It appears the term “biker” needs to be defined.

I doubt the OP was referring to someone who rides a motor scooter, or any other small displacement two-wheeled vehicle, as transportation. Although, these bikes may be seen as lower-class transportation—they are the most widely used motorized transportation world-wide—and have no particular social stigma associated with them.

Likewise, I doubt the rider of a moderate displacement multi-purpose bike, for recreation or sport, was his intent. Many a farmer, hunter, dirt-biker, or racer ride them for work, pleasure, and sport and they seem to be enjoyed by all levels of society.

Additionally, I doubt even the large displacement touring bikes used by enthusiasts who travel extensively by motorcycle are the subject of his concern.

More likely he was referring to the large displacement, fast and noisy motorcycles, most often associated with clubs or gangs of long-haired, tattooed, leather-clad riders—although not all members of such clubs fit this description, it is the one often associated with them.

While it is true, some motorcycle clubs have engaged in illegal activities and, as such, are not socially respectable, but these clubs represent a minority of such bikers. Most of these clubs are simply social clubs of motorcycle enthusiasts who like to ride and party together. These bikers often refer to their preoccupation with their bikes as the “biker’s lifestyle,” which is often described as; if you have to ask, you would not understand.

Are these bikers socially acceptable? Well, as at least one poster stated, some people of renown including royalty, political giants, industry moguls and social elite ride these types of bikes and belong to these types of clubs. They, most probably, are socially acceptable, at least on their home turf. It greatly depends upon where in the world they ride.

In Southeast Asia, these types of bikes are as expensive as cars and pick-up trucks. The riders have to be financially well-off to even afford their bikes. In the Western world, the bikes are relatively less expensive and more people can afford them. Therefore, more classes of individuals ride them, so there may be more of a social stigma attached. Please note how Queensland in Australia has passed laws and is now actively prosecuting what the Aussies call, “bikies.” In the US, there are many such motorcycle clubs whose members are veterans, or police and firemen; other clubs’ members are lawyers or doctor. US laws do not specifically persecute bikers. However, the US is also home to the traditional bad boy clubs whose chapters now ring the world.

I am the chapter president of an international motorcycle club located here in Thailand. Our chapter engages in no business, it is a social club. Our members are honest hard-working family men. We sponsor youth sports, an orphanage, and a school for blind children. Each year we donate a considerable amount of our time and money to these children. We have members from Denmark, Australia, Scotland, New Zealand, US, Canada, Thailand and Malaysia. And, we are proud to call ourselves bikers.

So, would you consider us socially respectable? I would hope so, but if not, Margaret Mitchell wrote a suitable retort from Rhett Butler to Scarlett O’Hara.

Are you talking about that chapter from Oz that was recently formed in CM and a talked about branch in Kanchanaburi? For over 50's?

No

Some of you may remember an earlier thread about a group ride to Kanchanaburi from Pattaya.

Sadly the group from Pattaya got a bit lost working their way through Bangkok (and Bangkok traffic) to the extent that it took them almost, what 7-8 hrs?

On the return journey, there were 3 riders from Pattaya who were not familiar with Bangkok, especially as to which bridges are allowed for bikes - one Phantom and two PCX's. It would have been socially irresponsible of me to let fellow riders struggle through Bkk once again especially as they would be hitting Bangkok during rush hour on some of the busiest streets and a large part of their ride from Bkk to Pattaya would have been in the dark as well.

So as a result, I led them all the way from Kanchanaburi, through Bangkok, down Rama 9, onto the Highway 7 for a short distance before peeling off onto the frontage road, over a unmanned railway crossing meant only for bikes and pedestrians (too narrow for cars), onto Thanon Onnut / Lat Krabang, Rom Klao till the start of the Bang Na Chonburi expressway. All in all, was only about 40 kms and 2 hours out of my way but the feeling of having done a good deed is priceless.

Till today, I'm in touch with those guys and hope to meet up for a beer in Pattaya with them in the near future.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/768368-pattaya-to-kanchanaburi-and-back-in-the-next-few-weeks/?p=8651229

Why would you route your bikes through Bangkok if it was not your destination?

How else to get from Kanchanaburi to Pattaya?

Well, how about North to Nakon Nayek, then West to Kanchanaburi--look at a map

322 km instead of 271 km? Part of this 322 km is on Hwy 9, forbidden for bikes. I'm sure that's navigable, assuming one has good directional sense or GPS. For me, easier to go through Bkk.

322 km instead of 271 km? Part of this 322 km is on Hwy 9, forbidden for bikes. I'm sure that's navigable, assuming one has good directional sense or GPS. For me, easier to go through Bkk.

I guess you don't enjoy the ride. An extra 40km, no big deal, but it would probably be more than that, because you need to detour around those places where no bikes are allowed--and I like the back roads, prefer them to BKK traffic.

I guess you don't enjoy the ride. An extra 40km, no big deal, but it would probably be more than that, because you need to detour around those places where no bikes are allowed--and I like the back roads, prefer them to BKK traffic.

I had to take into consideration that my fellow riders were on a Phantom and 2 PCX's respectively and therefore somewhat limited in the speed department. Top speed on that journey (for them) was probably 80kph, on the highway. An extra 40 km could well mean an extra hour of riding for them.

Also, as I know my way around Bangkok, it was not an issue for me to lead them through it.

As for me, distance is not an issue. I've done Bkk to Chiangmai in a day on my Ninja and Bkk to Yasothon on my PCX (also in a day). I love just being on the road and only want to stop when it gets dark, especially in the rural areas.

• Like 1

I guess anyone who rides a bike would be a biker. I think a bigger bikes heading would be a serious biker not just a rider of a get around. But hey if you ride you ride. Most of the farangs at least & some of the Thais get more serious rides as time goes on if they can afford the price!

Someone's going to shoot me down in flames, but my idea of a "biker" would never wear a suit, on or not on a bike.

Also, in my life I have seen many car drivers offering assistance to fellow drivers who have broken-down/had problems (I've done this a few times myself), this is something that is in no way exclusive to bikers.

True what you say though, we have to define what a biker is.

Denmark is mentioned by one poster, I have heard that there are some very bad people who are bikers there.

I was a biker, of sorts, in my youth.

What's not socially acceptable about bikers in Thailand ? They are just your ordinary, everyday, normal people like everyone else !

Well, most of them anyways.

14386_523396944464810_148793369542168841

11020256_614384325329446_296284267673426

And when all else fails:

Eric_cf91f9_129613.jpg

Wild Hogs forever......See the movie for the real truth about bikers...

or The Devils Ride.......sums it all up. The Biker thing.....pose for the camera honey....

Yeah, the best bikes to buy are those bought from the mid-life crises boys; the ones who buy the best and fork out for every accessory available, then sell it for a great loss when the thrill wears off, 10 or 12 weekends later.

I guess anyone who rides a bike would be a biker. I think a bigger bikes heading would be a serious biker not just a rider of a get around. But hey if you ride you ride. Most of the farangs at least & some of the Thais get more serious rides as time goes on if they can afford the price!

Someone's going to shoot me down in flames, but my idea of a "biker" would never wear a suit, on or not on a bike.

Also, in my life I have seen many car drivers offering assistance to fellow drivers who have broken-down/had problems (I've done this a few times myself), this is something that is in no way exclusive to bikers.

True what you say though, we have to define what a biker is.

Denmark is mentioned by one poster, I have heard that there are some very bad people who are bikers there.

I was a biker, of sorts, in my youth.

Yeah, your idea of a biker probably matches many others. I've known lots of bikers who may never have worn a suit. However, I have known some who have. What you do to make the money to ride is not the point, the riding is.

• Like 1