More than 3 tonnes of ivory tusks registered in one month in Thailand

webfact

More than 3,000 kilogrammes of ivory tusks registered in one month

27-2-2558-15-02-32-wpcf_728x408.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Over three tonnes of ivory tusks have been registered after one month of the enforcement of the Ivory Act B.E. 2558.

However, it was reported that many traders in ivory tusks were worried that the tusks in their possession might not be registered with the Wildlife Conservation Office within the 3-month reprieve because of the lack of evidences to prove the origin of the tusks.

Traders in ivory tusks are mainly concentrated in Chatuchak and Tha Prachan areas and many of these shops have stopped trading as they could not find evidences to back up how the tusks were acquired.

The Business Development Department has reported that the number of shops trading in ivory tusks have already dropped from 200 to just over 30 which corresponds with the wish of the Wildlife Conservation Office to regulate the trade in ivory tusks.

As for private possession of ivory tusks or ivory products, any individual who possesses more than half a kilogramme of tusk or over 12 pieces of ivory products are required to register with supporting evidences.

Evading registration is liable to both fine and imprisonment.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/more-than-3000-kilogrammes-of-ivory-tusks-registered-in-one-month

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-02-27

so have the police rounded up the ones selling illegal ivory or even confiscated it, no evidence to show where it can from equals illegal in my book, lets hope thew authorities dont simply ignore all the ones that dont have the correct paperwork

• Like 1

The need for private collector to register their collection could be a bit difficult, personally I don't have a problem as I have nowhere near a half kilo but do have a couple of very small pieces which are family hand me downs probably collected anything up to 100 years ago- how in the hell could you ever prove ownership in something like that?

Re. Ivory must be heavy. No it is quite light and this amount equates to hundreds of elephants slaughtered. I have no idea if possible but would have thought in this day and age there must be tests that can be performed on tusks to check age.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thainess?........thais killing a revered national emblem...and a magnificient animal...(apart from it's death by natural causes - which I would hazard a guess and say some of these "natural deaths" would be highly suspicious)

I think you need to either read the OP again or do some factual research...

Just because Thais have Thai Ivory does not mean there is a dead elephant connected to that Ivory...

Dumb breeds stupid.....

If the Thais can keep up their good work they will soon manage to stamp out and eradicate the evil nasty shitting Asian elephant for good and rid this country of them forever, job done then they can pat themselves on the back and say didn't we do well then.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thainess?........thais killing a revered national emblem...and a magnificient animal...(apart from it's death by natural causes - which I would hazard a guess and say some of these "natural deaths" would be highly suspicious)

Just because Thais have Thai Ivory does not mean there is a dead elephant connected to that Ivory...

Dumb breeds stupid.....

So where did the ivory come from if not a dead elephant?

Glad you asked...Most of the Ivory is from cutting the tusks several times through out the Bull elephants life...

The mahout does this not necessarily for the Ivory to sell...it ensures healthier tusks. the tusk will grow stronger with less

chance of infection...I have seen this done many many times with no harm to the elephant. The ivory may or may not be sold

as some mahouts (the ones I personally know) usually will keep the ivory in their family...

Really? Did not know that.

A good question raised by the guys with inherited ivory bits and pieces, or long ago legally bought items that have been legally acquired in or brought to this corrupt land where law enforcers are expected to be crooked.

Owning 19 (just counted) small items collected over many decades that include several 200+ year old Japanese Netsuke, and similarly aged Chinese pen holders, to Empire era (about 100 year old) paperweights, all neatly placed in curio cabinets and easily visible to any of the crooked authorities who might venture into my drawing room, I stopped collecting these more then 25 years ago when I realized the harm they represented and knew I would have no stomach to collect more. But what to do with the existing bits and pieces was never answered. Years later I brought them all here with my other personal possessions.

Now it seems clear: I must photograph them, pack them up, dig up and copy old purchase receipts, auction catalog images, reports of sales, and bring them to where......? Referred to as the Department of Antiquities but actually a department of the Chiang Mai National Museum, Chiang Mai - Tel. 0 5322 1308 (see by way of example only: http://a.northernthailand.com/chiangmai-cultural/buddhism/565-how-to-export-buddhas-out-of-thailand30.html) they can issue an export license that can perhaps serve as a certificate of authentication and registration I presume. Nice people they are as I've had to work with them when sending presents overseas to family and close friends, and very professional too, contrasted with the so many other authorities at the border crossing areas (including airports) who have a hand out to take money or steal our lawful possession only because inherited or bought long ago there is no proper documentation.

The problem may be the Department will want to affix a large tag that will make any future display a bit awkward, particularly as I expect it will be my children who inherit and will want to remove them when I am beyond caring and reach.

The "Department of Antiquities" should be able to quickly identify a small private collection form a hoard of illegal contraband. Well....., that is the hope at least. Perhaps as well they can provide another form of registration and identification other than an as yet not-needed export license.

If the Thais can keep up their good work they will soon manage to stamp out and eradicate the evil nasty shitting Asian elephant for good and rid this country of them forever, job done then they can pat themselves on the back and say didn't we do well then.

So? You are 100% sure that all this ivory came from Thai elephants?
If I remember right, there is a huge smuggling operation of ivory originating from the African continent.
It is the same as illegal drugs and arms and ammunition - its existence in a particular locality does not necessarily mean that it is manufactured there.
Many nations earn billions with the arms trade, as we all know very well!
Just my 2 cents...
(I am NOT saying that trading or even owning ivory is correct)
Edited by ravip

Most of it comes from Africa. The terroist groups there are killing them en masse to raise money.

A good question raised by the guys with inherited ivory bits and pieces, or long ago legally bought items that have been legally acquired in or brought to this corrupt land where law enforcers are expected to be crooked.

Owning 19 (just counted) small items collected over many decades that include several 200+ year old Japanese Netsuke, and similarly aged Chinese pen holders, to Empire era (about 100 year old) paperweights, all neatly placed in curio cabinets and easily visible to any of the crooked authorities who might venture into my drawing room, I stopped collecting these more then 25 years ago when I realized the harm they represented and knew I would have no stomach to collect more. But what to do with the existing bits and pieces was never answered. Years later I brought them all here with my other personal possessions.

Now it seems clear: I must photograph them, pack them up, dig up and copy old purchase receipts, auction catalog images, reports of sales, and bring them to where......? Referred to as the Department of Antiquities but actually a department of the Chiang Mai National Museum, Chiang Mai - Tel. 0 5322 1308 (see by way of example only: http://a.northernthailand.com/chiangmai-cultural/buddhism/565-how-to-export-buddhas-out-of-thailand30.html) they can issue an export license that can perhaps serve as a certificate of authentication and registration I presume. Nice people they are as I've had to work with them when sending presents overseas to family and close friends, and very professional too, contrasted with the so many other authorities at the border crossing areas (including airports) who have a hand out to take money or steal our lawful possession only because inherited or bought long ago there is no proper documentation.

The problem may be the Department will want to affix a large tag that will make any future display a bit awkward, particularly as I expect it will be my children who inherit and will want to remove them when I am beyond caring and reach.

The "Department of Antiquities" should be able to quickly identify a small private collection form a hoard of illegal contraband. Well....., that is the hope at least. Perhaps as well they can provide another form of registration and identification other than an as yet not-needed export license.

Not sure what country you are from. Registering your collection here is one thing. Obtaining an export license may be another. But you carefully need to check the situation in any country you or your children wish to export those pieces to. I think you might find some countries are not very keen on allowing ivory imports, no matter how long you've owned it.

• Like 1

so have the police rounded up the ones selling illegal ivory or even confiscated it, no evidence to show where it can from equals illegal in my book, lets hope thew authorities dont simply ignore all the ones that dont have the correct paperwork

There's no-one to be rounded-up. The only ones that are still trading are the legally registered businesses, the others are no longer trading. That was the point of the report.

Ivory must be heavy

No heavier than anything else of the same weight. 3 tonnes of feathers would tip the scales at 3 tonnes,

In this case the the 3 tonnes of registered ivory weighed, er, 3 tonnes. Smaller amounts would weigh less, probably.

Edited by Sviss Geez

Dumb breeds stupid.....

Possibly one of the many other sources of ivory such as hippo, killer and sperm whales, narwhal, wart hog etc.

Dumb breeds stupid.....

Possibly one of the many other sources of ivory such as hippo, killer and sperm whales, narwhal, wart hog etc.

The picture to this article would indicate otherwise.

Point taken though, there are other sources, but not sure of their market share of this foul trade.

I'll do some research, as I'm sure you have.

So, where in Bangkok does one go to register ones ivory?

One could try reading the second paragraph of the OP then one would know where one should register one's ivory, wouldn't one?

I guess I should have been more specific. Where exactly is the office?

Glad you asked...Most of the Ivory is from cutting the tusks several times through out the Bull elephants life...

The mahout does this not necessarily for the Ivory to sell...it ensures healthier tusks. the tusk will grow stronger with less

chance of infection...I have seen this done many many times with no harm to the elephant. The ivory may or may not be sold

as some mahouts (the ones I personally know) usually will keep the ivory in their family...

Tusks are often cut to shorten them because of safety concerns to both those who work around the elephants as well as the safety of the other elephants. Full length tusks are that dangerous if you follow Archimedes and see the tusks as levers with a few tons behind one end. The tusks may be physically cut by the mahout, but the tusks belong to the owner of the elephant and that is not often the mahout, although owner-mahouts are a bit more common in Surin than in the north. The risk of owning a bull elephant is the poaching of the tusks. Often the poachers simply kill the animal, and sometimes they cut off the tusks too close to the nerve and flesh and the elephant later dies of infection.

• Like 1